Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

can't see XP on network

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2009
Bill H.
 

Posts: n/a
can't see XP on network
Have two computer. One is Vista premium (32-bit) and the other Win XP
Media.

The XP can see the shared C: drive on the Vista. However, Vista can't see
the shared C: drive on XP. Yet, Vista can map a drive letter using
\\station1\c format. (station1 is XP).

So if I can map a drive letter, why can't Vista see the XP drive in the
Network icon? All it sees is itself (station2).

Thx.

--
Bill


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-13-2009
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't see XP on network
If you can map but see it in Network, it could be computer browser issue.
Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP?

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
http://www.HowToNetworking.com


"Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
news:eQxBZ240JHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Have two computer. One is Vista premium (32-bit) and the other Win XP
> Media.
>
> The XP can see the shared C: drive on the Vista. However, Vista can't see
> the shared C: drive on XP. Yet, Vista can map a drive letter using
> \\station1\c format. (station1 is XP).
>
> So if I can map a drive letter, why can't Vista see the XP drive in the
> Network icon? All it sees is itself (station2).
>
> Thx.
>
> --
> Bill
>
>


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-18-2009
Bill H.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't see XP on network
Good question.

Will have to check.

I did follow the "troubleshooter" suggestions, and all seemed fine in that
regard, but I don't remember if it said anything about netbios.

--Bill

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
news:C3E3D675-EC97-434E-A9DE-9361A170A8F9@microsoft.com...
> If you can map but see it in Network, it could be computer browser issue.
> Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>
>
> "Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
> news:eQxBZ240JHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> Have two computer. One is Vista premium (32-bit) and the other Win XP
>> Media.
>>
>> The XP can see the shared C: drive on the Vista. However, Vista can't
>> see the shared C: drive on XP. Yet, Vista can map a drive letter using
>> \\station1\c format. (station1 is XP).
>>
>> So if I can map a drive letter, why can't Vista see the XP drive in the
>> Network icon? All it sees is itself (station2).
>>
>> Thx.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>>
>>

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2009
Bill H.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't see XP on network
Vista says that NetBIOS was removed in XP and I didn't find any way to add
it.

:-(

--Bill

"Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
news:%23QbePY91JHA.6132@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Good question.
>
> Will have to check.
>
> I did follow the "troubleshooter" suggestions, and all seemed fine in that
> regard, but I don't remember if it said anything about netbios.
>
> --Bill
>
> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> news:C3E3D675-EC97-434E-A9DE-9361A170A8F9@microsoft.com...
>> If you can map but see it in Network, it could be computer browser issue.
>> Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>
>>
>> "Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
>> news:eQxBZ240JHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> Have two computer. One is Vista premium (32-bit) and the other Win XP
>>> Media.
>>>
>>> The XP can see the shared C: drive on the Vista. However, Vista can't
>>> see the shared C: drive on XP. Yet, Vista can map a drive letter using
>>> \\station1\c format. (station1 is XP).
>>>
>>> So if I can map a drive letter, why can't Vista see the XP drive in the
>>> Network icon? All it sees is itself (station2).
>>>
>>> Thx.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill
>>>
>>>

>>

>
>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-19-2009
tanuj_chadha
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't see XP on network

You can try the following link: 'Network Map in Windows Vista does not
display computers that are running Windows XP'
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120)


Hope it helps !


--
tanuj_chadha

Tanuj

History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. - Karl
Marx :geek:
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-31-2009
Tae Song
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't see XP on network
NetBIOS is part of the Windows OS, it can not be removed. It can only be
disabled.




"Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
news:OQjZyOC2JHA.1096@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Vista says that NetBIOS was removed in XP and I didn't find any way to add
> it.
>
> :-(
>
> --Bill
>
> "Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
> news:%23QbePY91JHA.6132@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Good question.
>>
>> Will have to check.
>>
>> I did follow the "troubleshooter" suggestions, and all seemed fine in
>> that regard, but I don't remember if it said anything about netbios.
>>
>> --Bill
>>
>> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> news:C3E3D675-EC97-434E-A9DE-9361A170A8F9@microsoft.com...
>>> If you can map but see it in Network, it could be computer browser
>>> issue. Have you enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>>
>>>
>>> "Bill H." <wh@photosourcefolio.com> wrote in message
>>> news:eQxBZ240JHA.1712@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>>> Have two computer. One is Vista premium (32-bit) and the other Win XP
>>>> Media.
>>>>
>>>> The XP can see the shared C: drive on the Vista. However, Vista can't
>>>> see the shared C: drive on XP. Yet, Vista can map a drive letter using
>>>> \\station1\c format. (station1 is XP).
>>>>
>>>> So if I can map a drive letter, why can't Vista see the XP drive in the
>>>> Network icon? All it sees is itself (station2).
>>>>
>>>> Thx.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Bill
>>>>
>>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-12-2009
Dominick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: can't see XP on network
This link is not what you need, it refers to the Network Mapping
facility in Vista and above not computer browsing. Many people confuse
the two, that set me down a bunny trail for awhile before I figured it out.

I was experiencing this same problem, to be clear that is that computer
browsing (for example when you click on the Network icon) in a Vista-XP
network does not show the XP computers. This is NOT to be confused with
the Network mapping interface that came with Vista, just the good old
fashioned computer browse that traditionally is supported via the
Computer Browser service.

The way I fixed this was to turn off computer browser services in all
but the 2 servers and two more high-powered desktops, disabled it every
where else - including wireless-attached laptops. I read articles that
implied that if the wrong computer is a browse master things can be
spotty, especially wireless computers or old OSes (like XP). I just made
my servers and two reliable computers as the only ones running the
Computer Browser service, and disabled the service everywhere else. In
your case, have the Vista machine be the master browser (computer
browser service enabled), and disable the service for the XP machine.
Then reboot the XP computer to ensure the master browser is set properly.

I then enabled netbios over tcp/ip via the DHCP setting in my DHCP
server, and ensured it is working by checking via ipconfig /all (you
will see a line that says "DHCP enabled") on each PC. You can set this
on each PC by going to your network adapter settings, click internet
protocol version 4 (TCP/IP version 4, in XP it might just say TCP/IP) on
the properties page, click Properties, on the General tab click
Advanced, go to the WINS tab and at the bottom you can set Enable
NETBIOS over TCP/IP. In my case or if you set it on the DHCP server, be
sure that setting on the client PCs is set to Default, which will get
the setting from the server - but I don't think you have a DHCP server.
Let me know if you need to set this up on the server, there is another
step to do it there - the easiest for you in a 2 PC network is just set
it on each computer as I have explained.

In one case I had to ensure a Vista machine had file and print sharing
on in the Network Sharing Center (I think that was the Network/Sharing
change that fixed it).

You don't need LLTD that the link from another poster talks about.

Some other things to ensure - both PCs have th same workgroup name. Also
ensure you have no other network protocols running unless you know for
sure you need them (you will see these in the list where TCP/IP was, and
check it for each computer) - things like IPX/SPX is a network protocol.
Your firewall could be a culprit too, if it does not work still turn
off both firewalls and see if it works. If so report back.

This could be caused by account access/permissions too, hopefully
nothing weird has been going on there.

That's about all I can think of, after you do all these steps you should
be able to browse fine.

tanuj_chadha wrote:
> You can try the following link: 'Network Map in Windows Vista does not
> display computers that are running Windows XP'
> (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120)
>
>
> Hope it helps !
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cannot Find Wireless Network Icon under "Manager Network Connectio Confu microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 3 04-08-2008 16:24
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center Michel Derome microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 11-05-2007 04:23
Article ID: 928896 After you log on to Windows Vista by using the Guest account, the network icon indicates that the network is either disabled or disconnected KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Article ID: 930163 In Windows Vista, you cannot access any resources on a remote VPN server after you switch a network connection from one network adapter to another network adapter and then dial a VPN connection KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
Attempt to Network Vista Home on Domain Based Network (W2K -Server Himanshu microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 1 09-25-2007 19:21




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 15:43.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120