Static IP address problem

Anthony

Static IP address problem
Hi,

We have some new Visat pc's added to our network and all of them are showing
the same problem. What happens is when the users start the pc's they get a
message saying the IP address is in use and they have to go and manually
change the address to get working.

All the pc's are configured with static ip addresses and have been checked
to make sure they are on different addresses.

Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this?

I have seen one workaround which involved adding some batch files to the
startup routine to swap between static and DHCP but I do not want to go down
tis route.

I would be grateful for any help.

Thanks,

Anthony
Frankster

Re: Static IP address problem

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have some new Visat pc's added to our network and all of them are
> showing
> the same problem. What happens is when the users start the pc's they get a
> message saying the IP address is in use and they have to go and manually
> change the address to get working.
>
> All the pc's are configured with static ip addresses and have been checked
> to make sure they are on different addresses.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this?
>
> I have seen one workaround which involved adding some batch files to the
> startup routine to swap between static and DHCP but I do not want to go
> down
> tis route.
>
> I would be grateful for any help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony

You've probably got a DHCP server on the network assigning those same IPs to
other devices. Or maybe even two DHCP servers with overlapping zones.

You need to adjust the scope on DHCP servers so as not to interfere with
your assigned static IPs.

-Frank

Jack \(MVP-Networking\)

Re: Static IP address problem
Hi
Make sure that the DHCP have a range of IPs to "Dish"out, and that all the
static IPs are out of this range.
Or if your DHCP server can do IP reservation within the DHCP then set all
computer to Auto Obtain and use the DHCP' IP reservation.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have some new Visat pc's added to our network and all of them are
> showing
> the same problem. What happens is when the users start the pc's they get a
> message saying the IP address is in use and they have to go and manually
> change the address to get working.
>
> All the pc's are configured with static ip addresses and have been checked
> to make sure they are on different addresses.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this?
>
> I have seen one workaround which involved adding some batch files to the
> startup routine to swap between static and DHCP but I do not want to go
> down
> tis route.
>
> I would be grateful for any help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony

Anthony

Re: Static IP address problem
I had a chat with them about this beofre and the only DHCP server on the
network is on the SonicWall firewall and is there only to supply VPN clients
with IP addresses and these are outside of the range of the static IP
addresses.

I will check this again though to be on the safe side.

"Jack (MVP-Networking)" wrote:

> Hi
> Make sure that the DHCP have a range of IPs to "Dish"out, and that all the
> static IPs are out of this range.
> Or if your DHCP server can do IP reservation within the DHCP then set all
> computer to Auto Obtain and use the DHCP' IP reservation.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have some new Visat pc's added to our network and all of them are
> > showing
> > the same problem. What happens is when the users start the pc's they get a
> > message saying the IP address is in use and they have to go and manually
> > change the address to get working.
> >
> > All the pc's are configured with static ip addresses and have been checked
> > to make sure they are on different addresses.
> >
> > Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this?
> >
> > I have seen one workaround which involved adding some batch files to the
> > startup routine to swap between static and DHCP but I do not want to go
> > down
> > tis route.
> >
> > I would be grateful for any help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Anthony

Patrick Keenan

>I had a chat with them about this beofre and the only DHCP server on the
> network is on the SonicWall firewall and is there only to supply VPN
> clients
> with IP addresses and these are outside of the range of the static IP
> addresses.
>
> I will check this again though to be on the safe side.

You can check by just setting one of the PCs to ask for an IP address, and
issuing these two commands at a command prompt:

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

When it tries to renew, you'll find out if there is an active DHCP server,
and get its address.

HTH
-pk

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Make sure that the DHCP have a range of IPs to "Dish"out, and that all
>> the
>> static IPs are out of this range.
>> Or if your DHCP server can do IP reservation within the DHCP then set all
>> computer to Auto Obtain and use the DHCP' IP reservation.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>>
>> "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > We have some new Visat pc's added to our network and all of them are
>> > showing
>> > the same problem. What happens is when the users start the pc's they
>> > get a
>> > message saying the IP address is in use and they have to go and
>> > manually
>> > change the address to get working.
>> >
>> > All the pc's are configured with static ip addresses and have been
>> > checked
>> > to make sure they are on different addresses.
>> >
>> > Has anyone got any ideas on what is causing this?
>> >
>> > I have seen one workaround which involved adding some batch files to
>> > the
>> > startup routine to swap between static and DHCP but I do not want to go
>> > down
>> > tis route.
>> >
>> > I would be grateful for any help.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Anthony

Anthony

Re: Static IP address problem
Hi,

Sorry about the slow reply I had to wait for the users to do as they are
asked, we have checked the network and there are no DHCP servers on it we
tried various different ways to get an IP address without success.

I did have a small scope on the SonicWall but I have disabled this now.

From further discussions I have found out that it is only internet access
that is affected by this local access is fine. I cannot see anything on the
firewall that could be stopping this access has anyone any ideas what could
be happening.

Thanks,

Anthony

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I had a chat with them about this beofre and the only DHCP server on the
> > network is on the SonicWall firewall and is there only to supply VPN
> > clients
> > with IP addresses and these are outside of the range of the static IP
> > addresses.
> >
> > I will check this again though to be on the safe side.

> You can check by just setting one of the PCs to ask for an IP address, and
> issuing these two commands at a command prompt:
>
> ipconfig /release
> ipconfig /renew
>
> When it tries to renew, you'll find out if there is an active DHCP server,
> and get its address.
>
> HTH
> -pk
>

> > "Jack (MVP-Networking)" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> Make sure that the DHCP have a range of IPs to "Dish"out, and that all
> >> the
> >> static IPs are out of this range.
> >> Or if your DHCP server can do IP reservation within the DHCP then set all
> >> computer to Auto Obtain and use the DHCP' IP reservation.
> >> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

Nih

Re: Static IP address problem
Do these new Vista machines also have a wireless network card? If so check
to see if there is an IP address assigned to those, I have seen problems like
this in Vista when you try to assign static IP's to both the wired and
wireless NICs.

"Anthony" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry about the slow reply I had to wait for the users to do as they are
> asked, we have checked the network and there are no DHCP servers on it we
> tried various different ways to get an IP address without success.
>
> I did have a small scope on the SonicWall but I have disabled this now.
>
> From further discussions I have found out that it is only internet access
> that is affected by this local access is fine. I cannot see anything on the
> firewall that could be stopping this access has anyone any ideas what could
> be happening.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony
>
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>

> > "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I had a chat with them about this beofre and the only DHCP server on the
> > > network is on the SonicWall firewall and is there only to supply VPN
> > > clients
> > > with IP addresses and these are outside of the range of the static IP
> > > addresses.
> > >
> > > I will check this again though to be on the safe side.

> > You can check by just setting one of the PCs to ask for an IP address, and
> > issuing these two commands at a command prompt:
> >
> > ipconfig /release
> > ipconfig /renew
> >
> > When it tries to renew, you'll find out if there is an active DHCP server,
> > and get its address.
> >
> > HTH
> > -pk

Anthony

Re: Static IP address problem
Okay I have now got a bit more detail for you. In the end I put a DHCP server
in place and tried connecting a pc to it but it does not pick up an IP
address when you then put it back as was and check the event viewer you can
see the pc trying different IP addresses to see if the y are available (they
are) and reporting that the IP addresses are in use and it cannot use them

The same thing happened when reverting back to a static address so he could
not use his original one but had to use a different one. Apparently in a
couple of hours he will be able to use the original address again.

Has anyone got any idea at alll because I certainly do not.

Thanks,

Anthony