Do not want to Network, just want internet connection.

gentelmanjack

Do not want to Network, just want internet connection.

Hello,

I have three computers. one on the main floor (my wifes Vista) and two
in the basement office (one win xp and one Linux).

We have a wireless router modem (from our internet service provider)
and have my wifes computer connected to the modem. I ran CAt 6 cable
from the modem to the basement where I have another wireless router. I
configured the router to work by disableing UPNP and DNS (basically like
a ethernet switch) Everything was fine.

Curious to see what windows 7 was like, I installed it on one my pc
(the linux one). That was a big mistake. It tried to creat a network and
see my wifes vista. Now my wifes Vista has lost the internet connection.

The only way the internet works on her vista, is if I unplug my
ethernet cable from the modem and restart her computer. As soon as I
plug my ethernet cable back in, it wants to connect to a network and she
looses the Internet connection.

I don't want these computers communicating in ANY WAY. I just want
internet in my office, and internet for my wife. I have recently
formatted Windows 7 off my pc and installed Ubuntu back on.

Is there a way to configure the wireless router modem NOT to connect to
a network? I just want it to provide internet for me and my wife, thats
it.

Can I delete the network on the Vista and go back to how it was
originally?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
John

--
gentelmanjack
daleeh

Re: Do not want to Network, just want internet connection.
I'm not sure how your ISP's modem is configured, but it sounds like
maybe it is only handing out one IP address (probably a public IP),
thus as soon as a "second" device is connected, it gets the IP address
and your wife's loses it's address.

First connect only your wife's computer to the ISP's modem and then
type "cmd" in the run or search box. I'm not a vista user, but I
think this is the way to get to the command box. Once an old style
"DOS" window opens, type "ipconfig /all" and hit enter. You should
now see the IP address information for your wife's computer. If the
IP address is somehting like "192.168.x.xxx" then the ISP's modem is
also a router and should be able to hand out multiple addresses.
However, if as I suspect, you see something else for an address, that
means the iSP's modem is just a modem and is handing out a "Public" IP
address (dangerous situation) and you can only use one computer at a
time.

However, I'm a bit confused because you didn't mention if the XP and
Linux computers were on the Internet before. If they were, then
things should still work properly and I'm not sure what else you
changed. You mentioned the ISP's modem was a "wireless router modem"
but then said you connected your wife's computer to the modem. Does
this mean you ran a cable to the modem? If so, which jack did you
plug it in to? If the wife's computer is wireless and is using the
ISP's wireless capability, then the next question is which jack did
you plug the other cable in to? Another question, did you turn off
the second router's DHCP services? If you are using the second router
as a simple switch, you must turn off its DHCP service.

To get all three computers on the Internet, you will need to connect
from the ISP's modem to a router and then to the other computers. The
router will assume the "Public" IP address handed out by the modem and
then will hand out "Private" addresses to any devices connected
properly to its swithc section.

Looks like we may need more details to help.

Dale

On May 11, 1:29*pm, gentelmanjack <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have three computers. one on the main floor (my wifes Vista) and two
> in the basement office (one win xp and one Linux).
>
> We have a wireless router modem (from our internet service provider)
> and have my wifes computer connected to the modem. I ran CAt 6 cable
> from the modem to the basement where I have another wireless router. I
> configured the router to work by disableing UPNP and DNS (basically like
> a ethernet switch) Everything was fine.
>
> Curious to see what windows 7 was like, I installed it on one my pc
> (the linux one). That was a big mistake. It tried to creat a network and
> see my wifes vista. Now my wifes Vista has lost the internet connection.
>
> The only way the internet works on her vista, is if I unplug my
> ethernet cable from the modem and restart her computer. As soon as I
> plug my ethernet cable back in, it wants to connect to a network and she
> looses the Internet connection.
>
> I don't want these computers communicating in ANY WAY. I just want
> internet in my office, and internet for my wife. I have recently
> formatted Windows 7 off my pc and installed Ubuntu back on.
>
> Is there a way to configure the wireless router modem NOT to connect to
> a network? I just want it to provide internet for me and my wife, thats
> it.
>
> Can I delete the network on the Vista and go back to how it was
> originally?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> John
>
> --
> gentelmanjack

Jack-MVP

Re: Do not want to Network, just want internet connection.
Hi
In order to use three computers sharing one Internet connection they have to
be connected to the same Router, then by default they are on the same
network, there is No way around it. If sharing files is not needed the
sharing on the computers can be set to off, but the computers are still on
the same network.
I do not know if the sharing creates the problem, or there is DHCP
assignments that do not work well.
Your wireless Router has to be configured like this - Using a Wireless
Router as a switch with an Access Point -
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
All the IP assignments need to be done by the Modem/Router, make sure that
its DHCL server can give at least four IPs.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)