Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question

rak

Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question
I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista
(x86) Home Premium machine. I can easily access my Vista desktop from an
MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my
home network. Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible
from a remote computer over the internet? If it is possible can someone
please summarize?

daleeh

Re: Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question
I'm not familar with "Live Mesh" but, to implement any remote access
solution through a router/firewall, you need to know how to configure
the router/firewall to forward specific port traffic to the internal
machine you want to control. You also need to know the external or
"Public" IP address of your Internet modem. Some ISP's provide
relatively stabile addresses, where others reassign the Public IP
periodically. I use Comcast and they haven't changed my Public IP for
about 5 years now.

Since Vista Home products don't have the built-in Remote Desktop
Server you need to use third party solutions like Live Mesh.

Why not read the specifics for Live Mesh to see if they provide simple
instructions for passing their port requests through a router/
firewall.

Hope this helps a bit.

Dale

On May 11, 1:25*pm, "rak" <rak...@charter.net> wrote:
> I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista
> (x86) Home Premium machine. *I can easily access my Vista desktop from an
> MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my
> home network. *Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible
> from a remote computer over the internet? *If it is possible can someone
> please summarize?

Gordon

"rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista
> (x86) Home Premium machine. I can easily access my Vista desktop from an
> MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my
> home network. Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible
> from a remote computer over the internet? If it is possible can someone
> please summarize?

It is possible - try TeamViewer
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

rak

Re: Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question
Thanks for taking the time Dale. I know the ip and will pursue port
forwarding in mesh as one option.

"daleeh" <dale.e.harrington@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not familar with "Live Mesh" but, to implement any remote access
> solution through a router/firewall, you need to know how to configure
> the router/firewall to forward specific port traffic to the internal
> machine you want to control. You also need to know the external or
> "Public" IP address of your Internet modem. Some ISP's provide
> relatively stabile addresses, where others reassign the Public IP
> periodically. I use Comcast and they haven't changed my Public IP for
> about 5 years now.
>
> Since Vista Home products don't have the built-in Remote Desktop
> Server you need to use third party solutions like Live Mesh.
>
> Why not read the specifics for Live Mesh to see if they provide simple
> instructions for passing their port requests through a router/
> firewall.
>
> Hope this helps a bit.
>
> Dale
>
> On May 11, 1:25 pm, "rak" <rak...@charter.net> wrote:
>> I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista
>> (x86) Home Premium machine. I can easily access my Vista desktop from an
>> MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my
>> home network. Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible
>> from a remote computer over the internet? If it is possible can someone
>> please summarize?

rak

Re: Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question
Good lead Gordon. I've downloaded TeamViewer and will also try this one
out.

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote in message
>> I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista
>> (x86) Home Premium machine. I can easily access my Vista desktop from an
>> MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my
>> home network. Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible
>> from a remote computer over the internet? If it is possible can someone
>> please summarize?

> It is possible - try TeamViewer
> http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

rak

Re: Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question SOLVED
I wanted to close this one out and provide info to anyone else that might be
interested. I was able to make TeamViewer work and will continue to play
with it. More importantly, for me, I noticed in the post below that Windows
Live Mesh might not require any additional configuration of the router to
work remotely from outside the local network. I went out to another
location and it does work successfully. I have used Mesh for sometime
locally and can recommend it.

"rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've seen several posts concerning the inability to Remote Access a Vista
> (x86) Home Premium machine. I can easily access my Vista desktop from an
> MCE2005 XP machine using Live Mesh -- at least from behind the NAT on my
> home network. Am I to understand that this is definitively not possible
> from a remote computer over the internet? If it is possible can someone
> please summarize?

Rob Moir

Re: Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question
"daleeh" <dale.e.harrington@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm not familar with "Live Mesh" but, to implement any remote access
> solution through a router/firewall, you need to know how to configure
> the router/firewall to forward specific port traffic to the internal
> machine you want to control. You also need to know the external or
> "Public" IP address of your Internet modem. Some ISP's provide
> relatively stabile addresses, where others reassign the Public IP
> periodically. I use Comcast and they haven't changed my Public IP for
> about 5 years now.
>
> Since Vista Home products don't have the built-in Remote Desktop
> Server you need to use third party solutions like Live Mesh.
>
> Why not read the specifics for Live Mesh to see if they provide simple
> instructions for passing their port requests through a router/
> firewall.

Dale,
It's actually just "Mesh" and it's part of the range of "Live" products from
Microsoft - just saying that because you might want to take a look - it's
quite good for this sort of thing actually.

http://www.mesh.com

rak

Re: Vista Home Premium Remote Desktop Question
Actually it is "Live Mesh." But you are right on the other counts. It is
quite good.