Re: Red "X" on network icon

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Red "X" on network icon
(cross-post added to Vista Networking)
"Phil" <phil@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC572236-5045-4893-841E-BC2C7A982987@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I posted this several months ago and still have not resolved my problem so I
> decided to try again. I connect to the Internet with dial up. When I'm
> connected my network icon in the task bar always has a red X on the icon. If
> I place the mouse on the network icon it states "not connected" even when I'm
> connected. If I right click on the icon and select "connect to a network"
> the connect window comes up showing my dial up connection with the word
> "Connected" and gives me the option to disconnect.
> I'm running Vista Home with IE8.

This has more to do with your OS Networking than with IE.
For another example which would prove that the symptom is independent
of IE try using Windows Help under the same conditions.
E.g. press Win-F1 and use the Support menu to Get help from Microsoft
(I'm in XP now so I'm not sure of the details in Vista. In XP I could use Alt-u
to open that Welcome to Support page. There are three links there
and the middle one frequently causes me the same symptom that you
are complaining about. FWIW I have a PPPoE DSL modem which
is configured as a bridge, which could be analogous to your dial-up scenario.)

> With dial up it's nice to look at the icon and know that I'm connected or
> not. The icon worked correct for about 8 months after I got my computer but
> started this problem about 4 months ago.
> Any help would be appreciated.

It is important to know your Connections settings.
E.g. in Internet Options, Connections tab, tell us what you have.
Go into both the Settings dialog for the default connection
and the LAN Settings dialog. Unless you have some good reason
(e.g. a proxy provided by your ISP) you should not have any of
the Automatic Configuration boxes checked in either dialog.

> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> --
> Phil

BTW I don't know how to assess the information which was elicited
from you by our last attempt at forwarding you to the correct newsgroup.
However, my guess would be that the intent of the question was as above
to get more information about how you connect to the Internet, not just
a literal reply to the question. Frankly, your answer leaves me even
more uncertain about that. ; )

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...012&sloc=en-us

<quote>
Yes, I do have a wireless adapter, but it doesn't
matter if it is turned on or off the red X is still there.
Also, where I live there is no wireless to even close to me.
</quote>

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Red "X" on network icon
We had a post before. You may need to add administrator to local service.
This is the post.
Red X on my network icon/server ...
red X and you get the message server execution failed but connected to
local lan when wired network connection was made (not wireless). In
addition, ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=2080

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE