Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer

Radiophile

Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
I have a home (workgroup, not domain) network with a bunch of Vista SP1 PCs
and one XP SP3 PC. Before I upgraded Vista SP1 PCs to SP2, all PCs could see
and share files among each other. After I upgraded two of the Vista PCs to
Vista SP2, the XP PC cannot see their shared folders. The Vista SP2 PCs show
up in the list, but when I try to see the shared folders I get an error
message "\\XP2PC is not accessible. You might not have permission..." etc.
I've rebooted everything including the router.

All the Vista PCs, whether SP1 or SP2, can see each other's shares. The
problem is only with the XP PC -- it appears that SP2 broke something.
Suggestions?
Gordon

Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer

"Radiophile" <Radiophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a home (workgroup, not domain) network with a bunch of Vista SP1
> PCs
> and one XP SP3 PC. Before I upgraded Vista SP1 PCs to SP2, all PCs could
> see
> and share files among each other. After I upgraded two of the Vista PCs
> Vista SP2, the XP PC cannot see their shared folders. The Vista SP2 PCs
> show
> up in the list, but when I try to see the shared folders I get an error
> message "\\XP2PC is not accessible. You might not have permission..." etc.
> I've rebooted everything including the router.
>
> All the Vista PCs, whether SP1 or SP2, can see each other's shares. The
> problem is only with the XP PC -- it appears that SP2 broke something.
> Suggestions?

Well SP2 is BETA still AFAIK.......

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Jostein Klemmetsrud

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/win...l-removed.aspx

--
Jostein Klemmetsrud
Abdul69

Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
On the *Vista* machine you are trying to connect to (from the XP machine)
check the Event Log for System Error 2017.

"The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the
server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations."

If you see this error a number of times and the time-stamp coincides with
the time you were trying to access shared resources from the XP machine I
may be able to help you. I had this problem before with an XP client (the
rest of my home network is a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit Vista) accessing
resources shared on a Vista machine and the problem only manifested on the
XP client. From memory it was the same message as you are getting.

If it is what I think it might be, it's not SP2 that is the cause, although
I haven't tried accessing any Vista machines with SP2 from XP as yet. I only
have SP2 on one Vista machine so far.

Wayne.

"Radiophile" <Radiophile@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home (workgroup, not domain) network with a bunch of Vista SP1 PCs
> and one XP SP3 PC. Before I upgraded Vista SP1 PCs to SP2, all PCs could
> see
> and share files among each other. After I upgraded two of the Vista PCs
> Vista SP2, the XP PC cannot see their shared folders. The Vista SP2 PCs
> show
> up in the list, but when I try to see the shared folders I get an error
> message "\\XP2PC is not accessible. You might not have permission..." etc.
> I've rebooted everything including the router.
>
> All the Vista PCs, whether SP1 or SP2, can see each other's shares. The
> problem is only with the XP PC -- it appears that SP2 broke something.
> Suggestions?

Radiophile

Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
Hi Wayne,

Unfortunately before I saw your post I solved the problem by reverting back
to SP1 on the Vista PCs. Since I reverted by restoring the drive images I
made before installing SP2, I can't go back and check the event log.

I think I can probably stay on SP1 until Windows 7 and avoid the issue
entirely.

John

"Abdul69" wrote:

> On the *Vista* machine you are trying to connect to (from the XP machine)
> check the Event Log for System Error 2017.
>
> "The server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the
> server reached the configured limit for nonpaged pool allocations."
>
> If you see this error a number of times and the time-stamp coincides with
> the time you were trying to access shared resources from the XP machine I
> may be able to help you. I had this problem before with an XP client (the
> rest of my home network is a mix of 32-bit and 64-bit Vista) accessing
> resources shared on a Vista machine and the problem only manifested on the
> XP client. From memory it was the same message as you are getting.
>
> If it is what I think it might be, it's not SP2 that is the cause, although
> I haven't tried accessing any Vista machines with SP2 from XP as yet. I only
> have SP2 on one Vista machine so far.
>
> Wayne.

pj

Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
i am having the same issues!~ not cool at all (esp. when we rely on this for
our business!~)
i cannot believe this is an issue! but man oh man was it ever!~~ i had to
revert back to SP1, luckily i was able to. i have searched up and down for a
solution, is no one else having this issue? we have two vista machines, and 8
XP machines, so i was able to try it on many, and sure enough, vista could
share with vista, but not xp, but if it was vista sp1, it could share with
all xp's, but then upgrading to sp2 for vista, broke all shares~
let me know if there is a solution for this. thank you
Corazza

Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
I'm Having the same problems too... additional also a W2K Prof. Workstation
can't access the Shares on Vista PC's anymore. Accounts/Passwords are the
same an all PC's and it worked fine with Vista SP1 before Vista SP2 was
installed.
Any suggested tips like setting permissions on vista shares and files system
(I even inkluded "Everybody"), disabling all firewalls etc. won't work.
XP and W2K PC's can see the Vista PC's but accessing the Vista PC's (like
NET VIEW \\VISTA-PC ) ends with an access violation Code 5.
Using NET USE X: \\VISTA-PC\MYSHARE will reask to enter user and password,
ending up with same result.
Between Vista PC's there are no troubles at all accessing the shares, also
Vista PC's can access XP and W2K PC's and their Shares without any problems.
It's also seem to be not related to a specific Vista version because I'm
using Vista Business and Vista Home Premium and both have the same problems.

Because this all worked fine prior the VISTA SP2 it's definitly a problem
with the service pack. Can any of the Microsoft guy's give a confirmation on
this?

ct6911 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
Has anyone been able to successfully access files on a Vista SP2 machine from an XP SP3 machine?
Steve Winograd [MS-MVP]

Re: Vista SP2 breaks local share access from XP computer
On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 04:06:32 +0100, ct6911
<ct6911.3x76s3@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote:

>Has anyone been able to successfully access files on a Vista SP2 machine
>from an XP SP3 machine?

Yes.

Are you having problems with it? Inquiring minds want to know. :-)
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Malke

ct6911 wrote:

> Has anyone been able to successfully access files on a Vista SP2 machine
> from an XP SP3 machine?

All the time. It's easy.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused by
1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party
firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall
component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure
the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third party
security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure its
firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS,
EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly to the
Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you can do
this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!