Sharing users between computers

GregV

Sharing users between computers
Hello,

I have two computers on a home network running Vista Home Premium 64.
Is it possible to share a folder and give permissions to users on the
other computer without adding a specific account on the computer to be
shared? When I go into the security tab in the properties of the
folder, then edit the user permissions, then add user, I see the field
for location, but I cannot change the location to the other computer,
even though I see it on the network.

Is this a limitation of home premium, or am I just missing something
major here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Than you for your time.
Greg
Gordon

Re: Sharing users between computers

"GregV" <gviscardi@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have two computers on a home network running Vista Home Premium 64.
> Is it possible to share a folder and give permissions to users on the
> other computer without adding a specific account on the computer to be
> shared? When I go into the security tab in the properties of the
> folder, then edit the user permissions, then add user, I see the field
> for location, but I cannot change the location to the other computer,
> even though I see it on the network.
>
> Is this a limitation of home premium, or am I just missing something
> major here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Than you for your time.
> Greg

Not a limitation of Home Premium, this is a limitation of peer-to-peer
workgroups.
And yes you need to have identical User accounts on each machine. This is
because in a peer-to-peer workgroup there is no central authentication - all
the security information about what user can access what machine is
necessarily held on each machine.

HTH

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

GregV

On May 7, 5:19*pm, "Gordon" <gordonbpar...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "GregV" <gvisca...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hello,

> > I have two computers on a home network running Vista Home Premium 64.
> > Is it possible to share a folder and give permissions to users on the
> > other computer without adding a specific account on the computer to be
> > shared? When I go into the security tab in the properties of the
> > folder, then edit the user permissions, then add user, I see the field
> > for location, but I cannot change the location to the other computer,
> > even though I see it on the network.

> > Is this a limitation of home premium, or am I just missing something
> > major here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Than you for your time.
> > Greg

> Not a limitation of Home Premium, this is a limitation of peer-to-peer
> workgroups.
> And yes you need to have identical User accounts on each machine. This is
> because in a peer-to-peer workgroup there is no central authentication - all
> the security information about what user can access what machine is
> necessarily held on each machine.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Thank you for your reply, and I understand what you are saying. With
that in mind, I seem to remember with Windows XP being able to use
ComputerName\\user as a valid user. Am I remembering wrong or di they
change this with Vista? Also, what is the Location field for in the
add user dialog from within the edit user permissions page? I was
under the assumption that this was to locate users on specific
machines. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to invalidate what you
said, this is just something I am confused about.

Again, thank you for your time.
Greg
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Sharing users between computers
Hi
You can switch On the Guest account and set its permission open.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)