What networking protocols are superfluous?

Blithe

What networking protocols are superfluous?
Re: Would my Vista performance improve by deleting un-needed protocols?
[System Summary]
OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
System Model: Maximus Extreme (Asus)
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4
Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0904, 12/18/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.70 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory 6.82 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hello!
Background:
Previously I had operated an Ethernet wired, a simple two W2K PC
peer-to-peer network for several years - to share resources and for Internet
sharing backup. When I installed Vista on this PC (experiencing various
hardware issues) I tried setting up the same protocols. Currently, to
simplify, I have abandoned the P2P setup. I am still experiencing some
random/predictable/Vista booting issues that it is not the purpose of this
posting to address.

However - I see that my Local Area Connection Properties for my P2P are
still set. Do I need them? delete them? or ought I to just leave them in
place? These are:
Client for Microsoft Networks
QoS Packet Scheduler
File & Printer Sharing
Internet Protocol Ver6 (PPPOE)
Internet Protocol Ver4 (PPPOE)
Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
Link Layer Discovery Responder

Note/Suggestion: I customarily Google & check Microsoft Vista 'help'/MS
Knowledgebase/MS online help, MS newsgroups etc - before posting for
assistance - & having done so for this posting - I failed to find any hint
of an answer to this question. Perhaps an appropriate suggestion might be a
good idea at this time? I would think the best place for such info would be
in the Vista 'Help & Support' section - perhaps for the next SP upgrade?

Many thanks - Blithe

Blithe

Re: What networking protocols are superfluous?
Hello Vista networking newsgroup readers out there:
I see my posting has been ignored to-date. Maybe it's a dumb question or
maybe nobody ever gave the issue any thought? A moot issue perhaps - no
impact one way or another?

I'd genuinely appreciate any pertinent comments. Thanks.

Blithe

"Blithe" <invalid@cox.net> wrote in message
> Re: Would my Vista performance improve by deleting un-needed protocols?
> [System Summary]
> OS Name Microsoft® Windows VistaT Ultimate
> Version 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001
> System Model: Maximus Extreme (Asus)
> Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6001.18000"
> System Type: x64-based PC
> Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz, 2997 Mhz, 4
> Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
> BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0904, 12/18/2007
> SMBIOS Version 2.4
> Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
> Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
> Available Physical Memory 2.70 GB
> Total Virtual Memory 8.20 GB
> Available Virtual Memory 6.82 GB
> Page File Space 4.29 GB
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
> Hello!
> Background:
> Previously I had operated an Ethernet wired, a simple two W2K PC
> peer-to-peer network for several years - to share resources and for
> Internet sharing backup. When I installed Vista on this PC (experiencing
> various hardware issues) I tried setting up the same protocols.
> Currently, to simplify, I have abandoned the P2P setup. I am still
> experiencing some random/predictable/Vista booting issues that it is not
> the purpose of this posting to address.
>
> However - I see that my Local Area Connection Properties for my P2P are
> still set. Do I need them? delete them? or ought I to just leave them in
> place? These are:
> Client for Microsoft Networks
> QoS Packet Scheduler
> File & Printer Sharing
> Internet Protocol Ver6 (PPPOE)
> Internet Protocol Ver4 (PPPOE)
> Link Layer Topology Discovery Mapper
> Link Layer Discovery Responder
>
> Note/Suggestion: I customarily Google & check Microsoft Vista 'help'/MS
> Knowledgebase/MS online help, MS newsgroups etc - before posting for
> assistance - & having done so for this posting - I failed to find any hint
> of an answer to this question. Perhaps an appropriate suggestion might be
> a good idea at this time? I would think the best place for such info
> would be in the Vista 'Help & Support' section - perhaps for the next SP
> upgrade?
>
> Many thanks - Blithe

Blithe

Re: What networking protocols are superfluous?
Thanks, Malke, your answer: "The answer to that question is disable IPv6 and
nothing else."
was exactly what I was looking for - although by disabling IPv6, I suspect
there will be no measurable impact at this time on performance for
practically 100% of users - particularly after reviewing the Wikipedia
article on IPv6.

Very interesting! Thank you for responding.
Blithe

> [...]
>>>
>>> Note/Suggestion: I customarily Google & check Microsoft Vista 'help'/MS
>>> Knowledgebase/MS online help, MS newsgroups etc - before posting for
>>> assistance - & having done so for this posting - I failed to find any
>>> hint
>>> of an answer to this question. Perhaps an appropriate suggestion might
>>> be
>>> a good idea at this time? I would think the best place for such info
>>> would be in the Vista 'Help & Support' section - perhaps for the next SP
>>> upgrade?

> You probably didn't get an answer because your question isn't clear. Are
> you
> having problems networking computers in a peer-to-peer topography? Do you
> want help with that? Or do you just want to know what you should have set
> above? The answer to that question is disable IPv6 and nothing else.

Malke