see's net work, wont conect to it.

Johnmark78

see's net work, wont conect to it.

Hey all, I have a HP tower, running Vista, hard line to a wrt54g linksys
router. I also have a HP laptop, also running vista. I have set up the
tower for printer sharing. My laptop sees the network, but when I try to
connet it tells me "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there
might be a problem with your network. To try and resolce the network
problems, click on Diagnose."

I click on diagnose, and get the following msg...

Windows found a problem that cant be fixed.

It opens up the help file wich has to do with internet, which btw,
works fine...I just cant get it to talk to the tower... help
please!?!?!?

JohnMark

--
Johnmark78
Johnmark78's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96566.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Eric Cross

Re: see's net work, wont conect to it.
Hello JohnMark,

Does your computer either have Windows Firewall enabled or a personal
firewall? If so, make sure it is properly configured for the network. An
improperly configured firewall can block file and printer sharing.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

"Johnmark78" <Johnmark78.3rqvnb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Hey all, I have a HP tower, running Vista, hard line to a wrt54g linksys
> router. I also have a HP laptop, also running vista. I have set up the
> tower for printer sharing. My laptop sees the network, but when I try to
> connet it tells me "Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there
> might be a problem with your network. To try and resolce the network
> problems, click on Diagnose."
>
> I click on diagnose, and get the following msg...
>
> Windows found a problem that cant be fixed.
>
> It opens up the help file wich has to do with internet, which btw,
> works fine...I just cant get it to talk to the tower... help
> please!?!?!?
>
> JohnMark
>

> --
> Johnmark78
> Johnmark78's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96566.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1174541.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Jack-MVP

Re: see's net work, wont conect to it.
Hi
Maybe this can Help, make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer
allows free local traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native
Firewall should be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your
Network IP numbers on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult
your 3rd Party Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Jack (MVP-Networking).