Vista64, Canon i960 ... yes AND no?

BobSongs

Vista64, Canon i960 ... yes AND no?

Here's the issue. -*Please forgive the lengthy text*-, but I didn't want
to leave out necessary details.

A *Canon i960* printer was connected directly to this Vista64 machine
(HP). The printer test *worked perfectly*, etc. All running well.

Then the Vista64 PC was *moved *to another area in the house that would
not support a spot for the printer. So, the printer was attached to a
*WindowsXP Home* PC (by USB). The printer, in XP, was set to "shared".
(So, the Vista64 PC and XP Home PC are both on the same router within a
single residence, husband/wife team.)

To access the i960 on the Vista64 PC we tried adding it: in the
Printers folder we double-clicked "Add Printer". We followed through
with Network Printer. The Vista "add printer" dialog box shows a network
printer:

> Canoni96 on Xpcomputer
> \\Xpcomputer\Canoni96So far, so good.

When that printer is selected and the *Next* button is clicked, a
"Windows Printer Installation" box pops up saying:

> Connecting to Canoni96 on XpcomputerThen, a new dialog box appears (entitled "Connect to Printer"). This box

gives this warning:

> The server for the 'Canon i960' printer does not have the correct
> printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver,
> click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator
> or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer driver.Clicking OK at this point brings up a dialogue to search for a file

called:

*.INF
at the location of:

E:\HELPFILES\COMMONFILES\MONITOR DRIVERS\64-BIT
This is fairly useless because this location is non-existent. It seems
to be pointing to some CD or DVD that is not, nor has ever been on this
PC. And monitor drivers do precious little for installing Canon
printers.

*Failed Solutions*
Pointing to the *\Windows\inf* folder did not work. Since the system is
searching for *.inf and not something specific like *i960.inf*... this
was inevitable.

Searching through the computer for a file (hopefully) called *i960.inf*
failed.

The setup CD's most recent O/S is *Windows2000* - not a wise choice for
Vista64.

Drivers from Canon are downloaded and installed (in spite of the fact
that Vista64 already comes pre-equipped with Canon i960 drivers).

*Questions:*
Why does Vista64 work with a USB-attached version of Canon's i960
printer, but *not* with the same printer on an XP box?

Do we need to install the XP drivers in Vista?

Will that cause Vista all kinds of havoc?

--
BobSongs
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Vista64, Canon i960 ... yes AND no?
"BobSongs" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Here's the issue. -*Please forgive the lengthy text*-, but I didn't want
> to leave out necessary details.
>
> A *Canon i960* printer was connected directly to this Vista64 machine
> (HP). The printer test *worked perfectly*, etc. All running well.
>
> Then the Vista64 PC was *moved *to another area in the house that would
> not support a spot for the printer. So, the printer was attached to a
> *WindowsXP Home* PC (by USB). The printer, in XP, was set to "shared".
> (So, the Vista64 PC and XP Home PC are both on the same router within a
> single residence, husband/wife team.)
>
> To access the i960 on the Vista64 PC we tried adding it: in the
> Printers folder we double-clicked "Add Printer". We followed through
> with Network Printer. The Vista "add printer" dialog box shows a network
> printer:
>
>> Canoni96 on Xpcomputer
>> \\Xpcomputer\Canoni96So far, so good.

> When that printer is selected and the *Next* button is clicked, a
> "Windows Printer Installation" box pops up saying:
>
>> Connecting to Canoni96 on XpcomputerThen, a new dialog box appears
>> (entitled "Connect to Printer"). This box

> gives this warning:
>
>> The server for the 'Canon i960' printer does not have the correct
>> printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver,
>> click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator
>> or original equipment manufacturer for the correct printer
>> driver.Clicking OK at this point brings up a dialogue to search for a
>> file

> called:
>
> *.INF
> at the location of:
>
> E:\HELPFILES\COMMONFILES\MONITOR DRIVERS\64-BIT
> This is fairly useless because this location is non-existent. It seems
> to be pointing to some CD or DVD that is not, nor has ever been on this
> PC. And monitor drivers do precious little for installing Canon
> printers.
>
> *Failed Solutions*
> Pointing to the *\Windows\inf* folder did not work. Since the system is
> searching for *.inf and not something specific like *i960.inf*... this
> was inevitable.
>
> Searching through the computer for a file (hopefully) called *i960.inf*
> failed.
>
> The setup CD's most recent O/S is *Windows2000* - not a wise choice for
> Vista64.
>
> Drivers from Canon are downloaded and installed (in spite of the fact
> that Vista64 already comes pre-equipped with Canon i960 drivers).
>
> *Questions:*
> Why does Vista64 work with a USB-attached version of Canon's i960
> printer, but *not* with the same printer on an XP box?
>
> Do we need to install the XP drivers in Vista?
>
> Will that cause Vista all kinds of havoc?
>

> --
> BobSongs

Sharing a printer being hosted by a computer running 32 bit Vista or XP with
a computer running 64 bit Vista is not obvious, because if you use the 'Add
a network printer' method, it will not work.

So how? First, you need to know the name of the computer which hosts the
printer, and the name of the printer to be shared.

Sitting at the host computer: The procedure is the same for Vista and XP

Start > My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Change button. Write
down the name that you see here because this is the computer name.

Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Right click on the printer to be
shared > Properties > Sharing tab. Write down the name that you see here
because this is the printer name.

OK. Now sit in front of the Vista 64 computer:

Start > Control Panel > Printers > Add printer > Add a local printer > Click
on 'Create a new port' > 'Local Port' > 'Next'.

The port name will look like this: \\Computer name\printer name

So enter the names already retrieved, ensuring that you use the same format,
then click 'OK'.

Job done

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Jack-MVP

Re: Vista64, Canon i960 ... yes AND no?
Hi
If Mike's way works (and in principle it should) then you are in luck.
Unfortunately when the printers' manufacturers release printers they can not
foresee what would happen with new OS' and all network combinations.
Otherwise you should consider buying and installing a Network capable
printer.
With a Networked printer all the computers can print directly to the printer
Not depending on one specific computer drivers, and it provides future proof
performance too. Networks are much more conforming to agreed upon standards
than printers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> [...]

> So how? First, you need to know the name of the computer which hosts the
> printer, and the name of the printer to be shared.
>
> Sitting at the host computer: The procedure is the same for Vista and XP
>
> Start > My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Change button.
> Write down the name that you see here because this is the computer name.
>
> Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Right click on the printer to be
> shared > Properties > Sharing tab. Write down the name that you see here
> because this is the printer name.
>
> OK. Now sit in front of the Vista 64 computer:
>
> Start > Control Panel > Printers > Add printer > Add a local printer >
> Click on 'Create a new port' > 'Local Port' > 'Next'.
>
> The port name will look like this: \\Computer name\printer name
>
> So enter the names already retrieved, ensuring that you use the same

*bump*

Uhm... Is this the right area? Since it covers *drivers* and
*networking* ... I took a guess.

Anyone?

"Jack-MVP" <jack@discussgroups.com> wrote in message
> [...]

>> So how? First, you need to know the name of the computer which hosts the
>> printer, and the name of the printer to be shared.
>>
>> Sitting at the host computer: The procedure is the same for Vista and XP
>>
>> Start > My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Change button.
>> Write down the name that you see here because this is the computer name.
>>
>> Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Right click on the printer to be
>> shared > Properties > Sharing tab. Write down the name that you see here
>> because this is the printer name.
>>
>> OK. Now sit in front of the Vista 64 computer:
>>
>> Start > Control Panel > Printers > Add printer > Add a local printer >
>> Click on 'Create a new port' > 'Local Port' > 'Next'.
>>
>> The port name will look like this: \\Computer name\printer name
>>
>> So enter the names already retrieved, ensuring that you use the same

It is the only way, I think. It worked fine connecting Vista 64 to a printer
connected to XP Pro 32..

> *bump*
>
> Uhm... Is this the right area? Since it covers *drivers* and
> *networking* ... I took a guess.
>
> Anyone?
>

> --
> BobSongs

Bob, read the replies already given..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

BobSongs

Re: Vista64, Canon i960 ... yes AND no?

Still no one?

Is this in the wrong category? If so, would the admin kindly move this
thread to "drivers" please.

Thanks.

--
BobSongs
BobSongs

Re: Vista64, Canon i960 ... yes AND no?

Please note: this printer driver error does not happen when the printer
is attached directly to the HP Vista PC.

|Filename: canoni960.png |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12877|

BobSongs