new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp route

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luZHk=?=

new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp route
after hours and hours on the phone with tech support from our isp and
emachines.com, we were told that verizon fios internet does not support the
new vista...we have been trying to get our new computer to connect with our
d-link wireless router through fios and an ethernet connection....all of our
other ethernet connections read the address ok (xbox360, laptop, etc.), but
not the new one...does anyone know anything about this or if there is an
alternative. The computer with windows xp is the one originally connected to
fios....please help or we'll have to take back the brand new computer because
of compatibility issues?!
GTS

Re: new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp route
If you have a router connected to your FIOS, then it would seem that the
issue is not with the FIOS port itself, but with the router connection. Are
you connecting wired or wireless? Do you get an IP assignment?
Is there a 3rd party firewall on the Vista machine?

See An outdated network router may not function correctly when you use it
together with new networking features in Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134
That article also links to a test tool you can run.

Which DLink are you using? I've set up Vista with several DLink routers
(including DI-524) with no problems.

"Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after hours and hours on the phone with tech support from our isp and
> emachines.com, we were told that verizon fios internet does not support
> the
> new vista...we have been trying to get our new computer to connect with
> our
> d-link wireless router through fios and an ethernet connection....all of
> our
> other ethernet connections read the address ok (xbox360, laptop, etc.),
> but
> not the new one...does anyone know anything about this or if there is an
> alternative. The computer with windows xp is the one originally connected
> fios....please help or we'll have to take back the brand new computer
> because
> of compatibility issues?!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luZHk=?=

Re: new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp r
I was told by Verizon, that Vista is not picking up the IP address
(assignment?) from the D-Link router (AirPlus Extreme G/wireless)....I'm
connecting wired through ethernet cable and there's a trial version of McAfee
with a firewall installed. Window firewall is disabled and I tried to
disable the new McAfee firewall, but could not uncheck the option, so I don't
know how to disable it yet. Am not really proficient in technical
applications of computers, so any help you could give us is appreciated.

"GTS" wrote:

> If you have a router connected to your FIOS, then it would seem that the
> issue is not with the FIOS port itself, but with the router connection. Are
> you connecting wired or wireless? Do you get an IP assignment?
> Is there a 3rd party firewall on the Vista machine?
>
> See An outdated network router may not function correctly when you use it
> together with new networking features in Windows Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134
> That article also links to a test tool you can run.
>
> Which DLink are you using? I've set up Vista with several DLink routers
> (including DI-524) with no problems.
>
> "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > after hours and hours on the phone with tech support from our isp and
> > emachines.com, we were told that verizon fios internet does not support
> > the
> > new vista...we have been trying to get our new computer to connect with
> > our
> > d-link wireless router through fios and an ethernet connection....all of
> > our
> > other ethernet connections read the address ok (xbox360, laptop, etc.),
> > but
> > not the new one...does anyone know anything about this or if there is an
> > alternative. The computer with windows xp is the one originally connected
> > fios....please help or we'll have to take back the brand new computer
> > because
> > of compatibility issues?!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2luZHk=?=

Re: new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp r
GTS- I can't check the link from the new computer in order to see if it's
compatible because I can't connect at all to the internet....don't you have
to use the same computer that Vista is on for that? I tried using my Windows
XP computer where I have the internet connection/router attached to, but it
failed to test properly because of this.

"Cindy" wrote:

> I was told by Verizon, that Vista is not picking up the IP address
> (assignment?) from the D-Link router (AirPlus Extreme G/wireless)....I'm
> connecting wired through ethernet cable and there's a trial version of McAfee
> with a firewall installed. Window firewall is disabled and I tried to
> disable the new McAfee firewall, but could not uncheck the option, so I don't
> know how to disable it yet. Am not really proficient in technical
> applications of computers, so any help you could give us is appreciated.
>
> "GTS" wrote:
>
> > If you have a router connected to your FIOS, then it would seem that the
> > issue is not with the FIOS port itself, but with the router connection. Are
> > you connecting wired or wireless? Do you get an IP assignment?
> > Is there a 3rd party firewall on the Vista machine?
> >
> > See An outdated network router may not function correctly when you use it
> > together with new networking features in Windows Vista
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134
> > That article also links to a test tool you can run.
> >
> > Which DLink are you using? I've set up Vista with several DLink routers
> > (including DI-524) with no problems.
> >
> > "Cindy" <Cindy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > after hours and hours on the phone with tech support from our isp and
> > > emachines.com, we were told that verizon fios internet does not support
> > > the
> > > new vista...we have been trying to get our new computer to connect with
> > > our
> > > d-link wireless router through fios and an ethernet connection....all of
> > > our
> > > other ethernet connections read the address ok (xbox360, laptop, etc.),
> > > but
> > > not the new one...does anyone know anything about this or if there is an
> > > alternative. The computer with windows xp is the one originally connected
> > > fios....please help or we'll have to take back the brand new computer
> > > because
> > > of compatibility issues?!

GTS

Re: new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp r
That test tool would have to be downloaded to the Vista machine. I see on
looking at it more closely, it's not an executable that can be downloaded on
another machine and copied over, so I guess that's out. I'm doubtful that
the problem is with the router in any case.

If this is a new computer, if possible, you should call the vendor's support
line. I would first check Device Manager (Control panel / System) and see
if the network adapter shows a problem. If that is OK, I suspect a problem
with the firewall. If it is not permitting you to disable it, that may be a
further indication of a problem there. Uninstalling it is one option, but
you would need to immediately replace the antivirus (unless you can
uninstall the firewall MacAfee item only).

If you run ipconfig in a Command Prompt, what does it report? What is the
IP address if shown?

> GTS- I can't check the link from the new computer in order to see if it's
> compatible because I can't connect at all to the internet....don't you
> have
> to use the same computer that Vista is on for that? I tried using my
> Windows
> XP computer where I have the internet connection/router attached to, but
> it
> failed to test properly because of this.
>
> "Cindy" wrote:
>
>> I was told by Verizon, that Vista is not picking up the IP address
>> (assignment?) from the D-Link router (AirPlus Extreme G/wireless)....I'm
>> connecting wired through ethernet cable and there's a trial version of
>> McAfee
>> with a firewall installed. Window firewall is disabled and I tried to
>> disable the new McAfee firewall, but could not uncheck the option, so I
>> don't
>> know how to disable it yet. Am not really proficient in technical
>> applications of computers, so any help you could give us is appreciated.
>>
>> "GTS" wrote:
>>
>> > If you have a router connected to your FIOS, then it would seem that
>> > the
>> > issue is not with the FIOS port itself, but with the router connection.
>> > Are
>> > you connecting wired or wireless? Do you get an IP assignment?
>> > Is there a 3rd party firewall on the Vista machine?
>> >
>> > See An outdated network router may not function correctly when you use
>> > it
>> > together with new networking features in Windows Vista
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134
>> > That article also links to a test tool you can run.
>> >
>> > Which DLink are you using? I've set up Vista with several DLink
>> > routers
>> > (including DI-524) with no problems.

asdrubal.martinez@gmail.com

Re: new computer with vista/cannot connect to internet using isp r
I strongly doubt that there is an issue with the router as there is
network in other equipment. I have been doing some research on this
issue and they all point to same location. The windows vista comes
with a new generation of IP called Version 6. Older operating systems
are running with Version 4 been fully compatible with all ISP servers.
There is a way to disable the however I don't know where do you need
to go to disable it. Also I would try connecting the windows vista
directly to modem and check the modem lock to see if you get an error
called "Multicast" or DNS error reading "Layer 6" which in some
Windows Vistas are doing some multiple unneeded DNS queries. Which in
some computers have been resolved by disabling the mentioned IP V6 at
the windows vista.