Networking Vista ultimate and XP home SP3

peebs24

Networking Vista ultimate and XP home SP3
I tried installing the LLTD onto my XP machine but got the message that it
was not going to load because the file on my machine was up to date and
therefore not nescessary. BUT, I still cannot get the network to work.
On the Vista machine I can see the XP machine but clicking on it gets the
message that it is inaccessible. The computer name is correct.On the XP
machine I see nothing except the local area connection icon. Both machines
are in the same workgroup. Some of the network must be working OK because the
XP machine and Vista machine both access the internet using the network to
get to the Netgear router.
Setting up networking on the XP asks you to make a n/w disk for the other
machines but - It only allows your to use the Adisk (floppy) - who has
floppies or A drives anymore? Is this disc necessary?
There MUST be a way of doing this but two days later I have not found it!!!
Any advice GREATLY received.
Many thanks.
Eric Cross

Re: Networking Vista ultimate and XP home SP3
Hello,

If you haven't already, please review this TechNet article. The Network
Setup Wizard isn't necessary to run on XP. You can configure the network
manually.

Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

"peebs24" <peebs24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried installing the LLTD onto my XP machine but got the message that it
> was not going to load because the file on my machine was up to date and
> therefore not nescessary. BUT, I still cannot get the network to work.
> On the Vista machine I can see the XP machine but clicking on it gets the
> message that it is inaccessible. The computer name is correct.On the XP
> machine I see nothing except the local area connection icon. Both machines
> are in the same workgroup. Some of the network must be working OK because
> the
> XP machine and Vista machine both access the internet using the network to
> get to the Netgear router.
> Setting up networking on the XP asks you to make a n/w disk for the other
> machines but - It only allows your to use the Adisk (floppy) - who has
> floppies or A drives anymore? Is this disc necessary?
> There MUST be a way of doing this but two days later I have not found
> it!!!
> Any advice GREATLY received.
> Many thanks.

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Networking Vista ultimate and XP home SP3
Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Windows XP File Sharing -
Printer Sharing XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"peebs24" <peebs24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried installing the LLTD onto my XP machine but got the message that it
> was not going to load because the file on my machine was up to date and
> therefore not nescessary. BUT, I still cannot get the network to work.
> On the Vista machine I can see the XP machine but clicking on it gets the
> message that it is inaccessible. The computer name is correct.On the XP
> machine I see nothing except the local area connection icon. Both machines
> are in the same workgroup. Some of the network must be working OK because
> the
> XP machine and Vista machine both access the internet using the network to
> get to the Netgear router.
> Setting up networking on the XP asks you to make a n/w disk for the other
> machines but - It only allows your to use the Adisk (floppy) - who has
> floppies or A drives anymore? Is this disc necessary?
> There MUST be a way of doing this but two days later I have not found
> it!!!
> Any advice GREATLY received.
> Many thanks.

peebs24

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> Windows XP File Sharing -
> Printer Sharing XP -
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "peebs24" <peebs24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried installing the LLTD onto my XP machine but got the message that it
> > was not going to load because the file on my machine was up to date and
> > therefore not nescessary. BUT, I still cannot get the network to work.
> > On the Vista machine I can see the XP machine but clicking on it gets the
> > message that it is inaccessible. The computer name is correct.On the XP
> > machine I see nothing except the local area connection icon. Both machines
> > are in the same workgroup. Some of the network must be working OK because
> > the
> > XP machine and Vista machine both access the internet using the network to
> > get to the Netgear router.
> > Setting up networking on the XP asks you to make a n/w disk for the other
> > machines but - It only allows your to use the Adisk (floppy) - who has
> > floppies or A drives anymore? Is this disc necessary?
> > There MUST be a way of doing this but two days later I have not found
> > it!!!
> > Any advice GREATLY received.
> > Many thanks.

> Many thanks to you both.

When MS advised me by email that there was a response, the link they gave me
opened onto a blank page!!!
I then re-submitted my problem.

peebs24

Re: Networking Vista ultimate and XP home SP3
Excellent article. Thank you Eric.