unable to connect to the internet

arock

unable to connect to the internet

Hi.
I brought a laptop of mine over to my gfs today and connected it to an
existing network that her roommate has setup. I have not had any luck
getting it to connect either by wireless connection, connecting to an
ethernet cable to a wireless router which goes to the modem, or
connection to the ethernet cable which goes directly to the modem.
I had no problems with this laptop at my place connecting to wireless
or wired and both places use comcast cable for internet.

I've been searching forums all day looking for clues. I have seen a lot
of talk of MAC addresses, unable to contact your DHCP server, ip
renewing etc. But nothing seems to work. It defaults to a 169.254.** ip
which I believe means it cannot connect to the DHCP server.

Maybe its stuck on my settings that are from my place? I am really
stumped

--
arock
arock's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96087.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

Re: unable to connect to the internet
arock wrote:

> Hi.
> I brought a laptop of mine over to my gfs today and connected it to an
> existing network that her roommate has setup. I have not had any luck
> getting it to connect either by wireless connection, connecting to an
> ethernet cable to a wireless router which goes to the modem, or
> connection to the ethernet cable which goes directly to the modem.
> I had no problems with this laptop at my place connecting to wireless
> or wired and both places use comcast cable for internet.
>
> I've been searching forums all day looking for clues. I have seen a lot
> of talk of MAC addresses, unable to contact your DHCP server, ip
> renewing etc. But nothing seems to work. It defaults to a 169.254.** ip
> which I believe means it cannot connect to the DHCP server.
>
> Maybe its stuck on my settings that are from my place? I am really
> stumped

If your computer is set to obtain an IP address/DNS automatically (the
default), it will not be "stuck" on your settings. What antivirus/security
program do you have installed? It may be blocking the new network. McAfee,
for instance, has a component that asks if a new network should be allowed
and if you miss the prompt or answer "no", will block the connection.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

arock

Re: unable to connect to the internet

I have kaspersky installed, but I also tried connecting with it disabled
with no luck. My computer is set to automatically get the new IP
address and dns.

arock wrote:

> I have kaspersky installed, but I also tried connecting with it disabled
> with no luck. My computer is set to automatically get the new IP
> address and dns.

Can you connect to a different network other than your friend's? This is the
next troubleshooting step. If yes, then something in the way your friend's
network is set up is blocking you. The most obvious thing would be that his
router only permits certain MAC addresses. You would find this out by
looking at his router configuration.

If you can't connect to anyone else's network, then we know the problem is
on your computer and will need to look further.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

arock

Re: unable to connect to the internet

My laptop worked fine, no problems at all at my place, so its not a
driver issue or anything like that. Also the computer already there
works fine. Both computers are wired directly to the cable modem. I
agree its probably a MAC issue or some sort of blocking going on with
the cable modem. When I get over to her place later I am going to
attempt to reset the modem to its factory defaults and start from
scratch

--
arock
arock's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96087.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1173184.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

arock

Re: unable to connect to the internet

Ok I went to work at it again today for a couple of hours with no luck.
I first reset the modem by pressing the reset button until the lights
flashed and everything reset. This of course immediately broke her
roommates internet connection (which did work). After repeatedly
restarting the computer and power cycling the modem it finally started
to work again. I still have not managed to get any changes on my
computer and have not had any sort of changes in the internet
connection. I have tried restarted, power cycling the modem (while
slowly connecting the cables one by one).
The modem is from comcast and is model DCM425C and made by RCA.
So it appears to be a cable modem problem (less sure of this now), my
laptop is stuck on existing settings some how or just the gods are
conspiring against me.
When I try ipconfig /renew I get this: An error occurred while renewing
interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
Request has timed out.

--
arock
arock's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96087.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1173184.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Re: unable to connect to the internet
Are you sure her router/cable modem HAS a DHCP server in it? If so
could it be configured to only give out 2 addresses and they're already
given?

What IP address does your GFs computer have?

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"arock" <arock.3roy7e@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Ok I went to work at it again today for a couple of hours with no luck.
> I first reset the modem by pressing the reset button until the lights
> flashed and everything reset. This of course immediately broke her
> roommates internet connection (which did work). After repeatedly
> restarting the computer and power cycling the modem it finally started
> to work again. I still have not managed to get any changes on my
> computer and have not had any sort of changes in the internet
> connection. I have tried restarted, power cycling the modem (while
> slowly connecting the cables one by one).
> The modem is from comcast and is model DCM425C and made by RCA.
> So it appears to be a cable modem problem (less sure of this now), my
> laptop is stuck on existing settings some how or just the gods are
> conspiring against me.
> When I try ipconfig /renew I get this: An error occurred while renewing
> interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server.
> Request has timed out.
>

> --
> arock
> arock's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96087.htm
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1173184.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Barb Bowman

Re: unable to connect to the internet
There is no router in that cable modem. You need a router between
the cable modem and the computers.

On Tue, 5 May 2009 07:22:53 +0530, arock

--

Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
viqui

Re: unable to connect to the internet

This drove me crazy for a week. I could connect to my router but not
the internet. Here is the answer that worked for me-open Windows Media
Center, go to Settings, General, Windows Media Center Set up and Join
Wireless Network.

--
viqui
Jackal18

Re: unable to connect to the internet

I am having similar issues with my compaq desktop that runs windows
vista. I moved last year and never hooked up the desktop until
yesterday and now the internet does not work, although it says it
should. Before I moved, everything worked fine, I used comcast for my
service then and now, same router (which I disconnected and run a direct
line from my modem with no luck) it recognizes the network, windows even
made an update (51 items, yikes!) but IE and other programs can not
connect. let me try and break it down a bit...

under network and sharing it shows "my pc" with a green line to
"network 3" and a green line to "internet"
next to Access it says Local and Internet
next to Connection it says Local Area Connection

I am not sure what other info you will need to help me. I am using my
laptop that has no problems connecting, so I know it's not the modem

thanks in advance!

--
Jackal18
Jackal18's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/96529.htm