can't ping from vista laptop to xp desktop

kratosh

can't ping from vista laptop to xp desktop

Hi,
I have a home network with Windows XP SP2 desktop, Vista laptop, both
connected through a router.
PROBLEMS[/b]: - CANNOT PING FROM VISTA LAPTOP TO XP DESKTOP
- CANNOT CONNECT BY CLICKING ON THE COMPUTER NAME OF THE XP
COMPUTER WHEN I AM IN THE NETWORK PLACES OF THE VISTA. WHEN I TRY TO I
GET A MESSAGE \"WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS \\[COMPUTER_NAME]

[b]THINGS THAT WORK CORRECTLY:
- I can see the XP computer both in the network places and
in the network map presented in the Vista
- I can see the Vista computer in the network places of the
XP, and i can also access the files in it

CURRENT CONFIGURATIONS:
- I have the same workgroup in both of the computers
- On the XP i have a VIA Rhine II adapter for the local
connection, with tcp/ip installed and checked. On the Vista i have
Inter(R) Wireless WiFi, with tcp/ipv4 and tcp/ipv6 installed and
checked.
- On both computers the firewall is turned off
- On Vista network, i have my network as private, network
discovery = on, File Sharing = on, Public folder Sharing = on, Printer
Sharing = on, Password protected sharing = off
- I installed LLTD on the XP, but this only caused the XP
computer to appear in the VIsta network map, but it was still impossible
to access it
- On XP, I shared drive C and the printers

Anyone can help me fix this problem?

--
kratosh
kratosh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/95882.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Malke

Re: can't ping from vista laptop to xp desktop
kratosh wrote:

> I have a home network with Windows XP SP2 desktop, Vista laptop, both
> connected through a router.
> PROBLEMS[/b]: - CANNOT PING FROM VISTA LAPTOP TO XP DESKTOP
> - CANNOT CONNECT BY CLICKING ON THE COMPUTER NAME OF THE XP
> COMPUTER WHEN I AM IN THE NETWORK PLACES OF THE VISTA. WHEN I TRY TO I
> GET A MESSAGE \"WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS \\[COMPUTER_NAME]
>
> [b]THINGS THAT WORK CORRECTLY:
> - I can see the XP computer both in the network places and
> in the network map presented in the Vista
> - I can see the Vista computer in the network places of the
> XP, and i can also access the files in it
>
> CURRENT CONFIGURATIONS:
> - I have the same workgroup in both of the computers
> - On the XP i have a VIA Rhine II adapter for the local
> connection, with tcp/ip installed and checked. On the Vista i have
> Inter(R) Wireless WiFi, with tcp/ipv4 and tcp/ipv6 installed and
> checked.
> - On both computers the firewall is turned off
> - On Vista network, i have my network as private, network
> discovery = on, File Sharing = on, Public folder Sharing = on, Printer
> Sharing = on, Password protected sharing = off
> - I installed LLTD on the XP, but this only caused the XP
> computer to appear in the VIsta network map, but it was still impossible
> to access it
> - On XP, I shared drive C and the printers

The problem is on the Vista machine. Turn password protected sharing ON and
created matching user accounts/passwords on both computers. Do not turn off
firewalls; configure them properly. See below.

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off Simple
File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

kratosh

Re: can't ping from vista laptop to xp desktop

Hi,
Thanks for the help, i think i saw the piece you replies in some other
thread.
Before i follow its instructions, i have two questions:
1. Why do i have to have the firewalls on? i think it should work with
no firewalls as well, doesn't it?
2. I do have the same account configured in the two computers. But why
does it matter for a simple ping?
Thanks,
Knaan.

kratosh wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for the help, i think i saw the piece you replies in some other
> thread.
> Before i follow its instructions, i have two questions:
> 1. Why do i have to have the firewalls on? i think it should work with
> no firewalls as well, doesn't it?
> 2. I do have the same account configured in the two computers. But why
> does it matter for a simple ping?

The advice given is general advice. You can turn the firewalls off if you
like while you are setting things up, but too many people (not you, I
realize that) just run without a firewall. Eventually you have to turn the
firewall on, so you might as well start out with it on and properly
configured.

The firewall is probably blocking the ping and it doesn't have anything to
do with the user accounts. Again, the advice is *general* advice based on
the most common networking errors. Not everything in it will be applicable
to your exact situation.

Malke