Wireless suddenly local access only?

icepot

Wireless suddenly local access only?

Hi,
I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW370j which has worked flawlessly for the past
3 months I owned it. But now, I wake up and get ready to do some work on
it, and the damn thing is local access only. I skyped with my dad last
night, so I know it was working perfect before I went to bed. However, I
believe I left it on so It might have updated something I am unaware of.
I did a system restore back to 3 days ago.

I have another laptop, a toshiba, and it can connect fine.
I have hard reset my router (which usually fixes the connection
problems). And I have also restarted the laptop, disabled and reenabled
the wireless network connection, turned off and on the wlan switch on
front.

On my router their is no security set. Its just boot up and go. I sure
also add that the Sony is Vista Home Premium 64bit, while the toshiba is
Widows Vista Home Basic 32bit.

I've ran out of ideas...

thanks in advance and also for taking the time to read this.

--
icepot
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless suddenly local access only?
Have you checked if there is a new firmware for the router or a new driver
for the NIC. Or this search result may help.

Vista Wireless Local onlySome wireless NIC or router DHCP may be
incompatibilities with Vista. The Vista may be able to access local network
but the Internet and shows "Local only". ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/wifimvp/v...sslocaonly.htm

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"icepot" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I have a Sony Vaio VGN-FW370j which has worked flawlessly for the past
> 3 months I owned it. But now, I wake up and get ready to do some work on
> it, and the damn thing is local access only. I skyped with my dad last
> night, so I know it was working perfect before I went to bed. However, I
> believe I left it on so It might have updated something I am unaware of.
> I did a system restore back to 3 days ago.
>
> I have another laptop, a toshiba, and it can connect fine.
> I have hard reset my router (which usually fixes the connection
> problems). And I have also restarted the laptop, disabled and reenabled
> the wireless network connection, turned off and on the wlan switch on
> front.
>
> On my router their is no security set. Its just boot up and go. I sure
> also add that the Sony is Vista Home Premium 64bit, while the toshiba is
> Widows Vista Home Basic 32bit.
>
> I've ran out of ideas...
>
> thanks in advance and also for taking the time to read this.
>

> --
> icepot

icepot

Re: Wireless suddenly local access only?

The router firmware is up to date.

I saw that article, and my laptop worked with the router for 4 months
before it all of a sudden stopped... I disabled ip6 just for poos and
giggles but it still didnt not work.

--
icepot
icepot

Re: Wireless suddenly local access only?

So I restarted the router, and there was still local access only. So I
then right clicked on the wireless icon by the clock, and chose diagnose
and repair (this was the third time i've done this). Again it said,
something about "contact your system admin or if your at home trying
resetting the router and then click here". So I restarted the router
again, then I clicked where it said. All of a sudden I got a new screen
asking what type of access point it was: Home, Work, or something else
(i forgot sorry). So I chose home... and it worked! I was skeptic so I
restarted, and after the reboot it didn't look good, but bam! it
worked... I hate this operating system.

thanks for your advice Bob Lin.

--
icepot
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Wireless suddenly local access only?
Thank you for the update.