Can't Change Workgroup Name

Jack

Can't Change Workgroup Name
I have a Vista PC and an XP PC and on the Vista PC, I can not change the
Workgroup to the name of my home workgroup. I get an network error message
when I click on the Apply button. There are no special characters or spaces
in my home workgroup name. What's interesting is that when I do a Query of
the Network computers on the Vista PC, I can navigate to the folders that
are shared on the XP PC. The problem I'm having is that I am trying to share
a printer that is physically connected to the XP machine with the Vista PC.

Even though both PC's are on the same physical network but on different
Workgroups, I can see my XP machine, which I thought was not possible, if
you're on two different workgroups. I have temporarily turned off the
Firewall on both computers, but I get the same network error message.

Michael Walraven

Re: Can't Change Workgroup Name
Mixed workgroup networks work, the main effect is that it can take MUCH
longer for the machines in one workgroup to see the machines in the other.

Sep-by-step for what works on my machine (Vista home premium SP1)

Run from an administrator enabled account
UAC ON
Start Orb
right click computer, left click properties (gets to Control Panel>> System
and Maintenance >> System)
in Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings left click on the Shielded
'Change Settings'
Give permission via UAC , Now at System Properties
In Computer Name tab, Left Change button
in Computer Name dialogue
Change name in Workgroup, click OK
In computer Name/Domain Changes dialogue should say Welcome to the <xxxxx>
workgroup, click OK
In the next dialogue telling you that you must restart, click OK

There are lots of different paths that you may take, but on this path where
does it fail?

Michael

"Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
news:ktSdnb4ly4OokWvUnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> I have a Vista PC and an XP PC and on the Vista PC, I can not change the
> Workgroup to the name of my home workgroup. I get an network error message
> when I click on the Apply button. There are no special characters or
> spaces in my home workgroup name. What's interesting is that when I do a
> Query of the Network computers on the Vista PC, I can navigate to the
> folders that are shared on the XP PC. The problem I'm having is that I am
> trying to share a printer that is physically connected to the XP machine
> with the Vista PC.
>
> Even though both PC's are on the same physical network but on different
> Workgroups, I can see my XP machine, which I thought was not possible, if
> you're on two different workgroups. I have temporarily turned off the
> Firewall on both computers, but I get the same network error message.

Jack

Re: Can't Change Workgroup Name
Michael what does "Start Orb" mean?

In my previous tries to resolve the problem I did not see a Change Domain
option only Workgroup Change option.

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> Mixed workgroup networks work, the main effect is that it can take MUCH
> longer for the machines in one workgroup to see the machines in the other.
>
> Sep-by-step for what works on my machine (Vista home premium SP1)
>
> Run from an administrator enabled account
> UAC ON
> Start Orb
> right click computer, left click properties (gets to Control Panel>>
> System and Maintenance >> System)
> in Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings left click on the
> Shielded 'Change Settings'
> Give permission via UAC , Now at System Properties
> In Computer Name tab, Left Change button
> in Computer Name dialogue
> Change name in Workgroup, click OK
> In computer Name/Domain Changes dialogue should say Welcome to the <xxxxx>
> workgroup, click OK
> In the next dialogue telling you that you must restart, click OK
>
> There are lots of different paths that you may take, but on this path
> where does it fail?
>
> Michael
>

> "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
> news:ktSdnb4ly4OokWvUnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> I have a Vista PC and an XP PC and on the Vista PC, I can not change the
>> Workgroup to the name of my home workgroup. I get an network error
>> message when I click on the Apply button. There are no special characters
>> or spaces in my home workgroup name. What's interesting is that when I do
>> a Query of the Network computers on the Vista PC, I can navigate to the
>> folders that are shared on the XP PC. The problem I'm having is that I am
>> trying to share a printer that is physically connected to the XP machine
>> with the Vista PC.
>>
>> Even though both PC's are on the same physical network but on different
>> Workgroups, I can see my XP machine, which I thought was not possible, if
>> you're on two different workgroups. I have temporarily turned off the
>> Firewall on both computers, but I get the same network error message.

Jack-MVP

Re: Can't Change Workgroup Name
Hi
The Orb is the Windows symbol at the lower left side of the Screen (use to
be labeled Start in previous Windows versions)
I do not know what the Domain issue is, but if it work's computer, check
with the IT there, they might changed the standard Windows Network
credentials.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> Michael what does "Start Orb" mean?
>
> In my previous tries to resolve the problem I did not see a Change Domain
> option only Workgroup Change option.
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> Mixed workgroup networks work, the main effect is that it can take MUCH
>> longer for the machines in one workgroup to see the machines in the
>> other.
>>
>> Sep-by-step for what works on my machine (Vista home premium SP1)
>>
>> Run from an administrator enabled account
>> UAC ON
>> Start Orb
>> right click computer, left click properties (gets to Control Panel>>
>> System and Maintenance >> System)
>> in Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings left click on the
>> Shielded 'Change Settings'
>> Give permission via UAC , Now at System Properties
>> In Computer Name tab, Left Change button
>> in Computer Name dialogue
>> Change name in Workgroup, click OK
>> In computer Name/Domain Changes dialogue should say Welcome to the
>> <xxxxx> workgroup, click OK
>> In the next dialogue telling you that you must restart, click OK
>>
>> There are lots of different paths that you may take, but on this path
>> where does it fail?
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> news:ktSdnb4ly4OokWvUnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>> I have a Vista PC and an XP PC and on the Vista PC, I can not change the
>>> Workgroup to the name of my home workgroup. I get an network error
>>> message when I click on the Apply button. There are no special
>>> characters or spaces in my home workgroup name. What's interesting is
>>> that when I do a Query of the Network computers on the Vista PC, I can
>>> navigate to the folders that are shared on the XP PC. The problem I'm
>>> having is that I am trying to share a printer that is physically
>>> connected to the XP machine with the Vista PC.
>>>
>>> Even though both PC's are on the same physical network but on different
>>> Workgroups, I can see my XP machine, which I thought was not possible,
>>> if you're on two different workgroups. I have temporarily turned off the
>>> Firewall on both computers, but I get the same network error message.

Jack

Re: Can't Change Workgroup Name
Jack, I am the IT person here. This is in my home where I'm trying to get
things to work. Thanks for the Orb clarification. Things don't work. My
problem is I can't share a Printer that's on my Home Network because I can't
change the Vista machine's Workgroup name. I can type in the correct name
but it will not allow me to save it.

"Jack-MVP" <jack@discussgroups.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> The Orb is the Windows symbol at the lower left side of the Screen (use to
> be labeled Start in previous Windows versions)
> I do not know what the Domain issue is, but if it work's computer, check
> with the IT there, they might changed the standard Windows Network
> credentials.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
>> Michael what does "Start Orb" mean?
>>
>> In my previous tries to resolve the problem I did not see a Change Domain
>> option only Workgroup Change option.
>>
>> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>>> Mixed workgroup networks work, the main effect is that it can take MUCH
>>> longer for the machines in one workgroup to see the machines in the
>>> other.
>>>
>>> Sep-by-step for what works on my machine (Vista home premium SP1)
>>>
>>> Run from an administrator enabled account
>>> UAC ON
>>> Start Orb
>>> right click computer, left click properties (gets to Control Panel>>
>>> System and Maintenance >> System)
>>> in Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings left click on the
>>> Shielded 'Change Settings'
>>> Give permission via UAC , Now at System Properties
>>> In Computer Name tab, Left Change button
>>> in Computer Name dialogue
>>> Change name in Workgroup, click OK
>>> In computer Name/Domain Changes dialogue should say Welcome to the
>>> <xxxxx> workgroup, click OK
>>> In the next dialogue telling you that you must restart, click OK
>>>
>>> There are lots of different paths that you may take, but on this path
>>> where does it fail?
>>>
>>> Michael
>>>

>>> "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:ktSdnb4ly4OokWvUnZ2dnUVZ_hudnZ2d@giganews.com ...

Michael Walraven

Re: Can't Change Workgroup Name
Neither 'Change Domain' nor 'Workgroup Change' option was in the procedure I
used as an example.
> [...]

> longer for the machines in one workgroup to see the machines in the other.
>
> Sep-by-step for what works on my machine (Vista home premium SP1)
>
> Run from an administrator enabled account
> UAC ON
> Start Orb
> right click computer, left click properties (gets to Control Panel>>
> System and Maintenance >> System)
> in Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings left click on the
> Shielded 'Change Settings'
> Give permission via UAC , Now at System Properties
> In Computer Name tab, Left Change button
> in Computer Name dialogue
> Change name in Workgroup, click OK
> In computer Name/Domain Changes dialogue should say Welcome to the <xxxxx>
> workgroup, click OK
> In the next dialogue telling you that you must restart, click OK
>
> There are lots of different paths that you may take, but on this path

Michael after going through the steps above. I get this message, "The
following error occurred validating the name "MARCUS-PC". A general network
error occurred." After clicking on the OK button I am returned to the
previous screen. I have tried to rename the Computer name to MARCUSPC
without the hyphen, but it won't let me save that change either. I get the
same error message when I try to change the Workgroup name, which is
different from the Computer name.

Michael Walraven

Re: Can't Change Workgroup Name
Jack
Could you possibly have the same COMPUTER name for the two machines? (From
googling "following error occurred validating the name".) At least one
person fixed problem by changing the COMPUTER name and then the workgroup
name. Also from the google, problem can be associated with DOMAINS and DNS
servers

news:w7CdnX762LJA_WvUnZ2dnUVZ_oSdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> Jack
> Could you possibly have the same COMPUTER name for the two machines? (From
> googling "following error occurred validating the name".) At least one
> person fixed problem by changing the COMPUTER name and then the workgroup
> name. Also from the google, problem can be associated with DOMAINS and DNS
> servers
> Michael

<BIG SNIP>

Michael, no in this case I only have one machine named MARCUS-PC and it's in
my son's room. Please note, however, that this machine was rebuilt from its
original CD's as I could not fix a problem where he could not use port 80 to
surf the net. So this machine was previously on the network with the same
name. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Please not also that I can't
change the computer name or the workgroup name to something else. This is my
challenge.

Noel Paton

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:18:14 -0700, "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote:

>"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>news:%23FobiK%23xJHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl. ..
>> Jack
>> Could you possibly have the same COMPUTER name for the two machines? (From
>> googling "following error occurred validating the name".) At least one
>> person fixed problem by changing the COMPUTER name and then the workgroup
>> name. Also from the google, problem can be associated with DOMAINS and DNS
>> servers
>> Michael
>>

><BIG SNIP>
>
>Michael, no in this case I only have one machine named MARCUS-PC and it's in
>my son's room. Please note, however, that this machine was rebuilt from its
>original CD's as I could not fix a problem where he could not use port 80 to
>surf the net. So this machine was previously on the network with the same
>name. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Please not also that I can't
>change the computer name or the workgroup name to something else. This is my
>challenge.

Just a thought - what permissions do you have for the registry keys
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\ComputerName\ComputerName

Administrators should have Read/Full Control permissions for both

Also - have you somehow got policies involved?
look in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Policies
and see if there's anything there

--
Noel Paton
www.crashfixpc.co.uk