File Sharing with an XP laptop and Vista laptop on the same networ

Daniel Ostro

File Sharing with an XP laptop and Vista laptop on the same networ
I have 2 laptops, both connected wirelessly to a Linksys router and both
connected to the internet using the same network SSID. However, even though
they are on the same workgroup (MSHOME) and file and printer sharing is
enabled on both, I cannot access the other computer from either laptop.
So in the "my workgroup computers" on the XP laptop, I see the other one,
but when I try to click on it to access the shared folders, it says it can't
access it and that I may not have permission to access it.
On the Vista laptop, when I view the full map of my network, I see the XP
laptop, but I can't click on it to access the shared folders on that laptop.
I see they are both connected to the router, and the router to the internet,
but I can't access the other computer!
Is there anything I can do?
I did have file and printer sharing working about a month ago, and this was
before I installed updates for Windows on the Vista computer...that may be
the issue.

Thank you very much for the help!
Malke

Re: File Sharing with an XP laptop and Vista laptop on the same networ
Daniel Ostro wrote:

> I have 2 laptops, both connected wirelessly to a Linksys router and both
> connected to the internet using the same network SSID. However, even
> though they are on the same workgroup (MSHOME) and file and printer
> sharing is enabled on both, I cannot access the other computer from either
> laptop. So in the "my workgroup computers" on the XP laptop, I see the
> other one, but when I try to click on it to access the shared folders, it
> says it can't access it and that I may not have permission to access it.
> On the Vista laptop, when I view the full map of my network, I see the XP
> laptop, but I can't click on it to access the shared folders on that
> laptop. I see they are both connected to the router, and the router to the
> internet, but I can't access the other computer!
> Is there anything I can do?
> I did have file and printer sharing working about a month ago, and this
> was before I installed updates for Windows on the Vista computer...that
> may be the issue.

I don't know what changed, but here is my normal troubleshooting
information. Take what you need.

*****
Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
*****

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Daniel Ostro

Re: File Sharing with an XP laptop and Vista laptop on the same ne
Does Symantec Antivirus have it's own firewall? Do I have to change any
settings?

Daniel Ostro wrote:

> Does Symantec Antivirus have it's own firewall? Do I have to change any
> settings?

The versions I've seen do, yes. Sometimes it's called "Internet Worm
Protection". And yes, of course you need to configure it to allow LAN
traffic. And you need to make sure you only have one firewall running. I
can't say whether you need to change settings because I don't know how you
have things set now. I can't answer any questions about configuring Norton
products because I don't support them and I won't install them for clients.

I recommend either NOD32 (commercial) or Avast (free) antivirus programs and
the built-in Windows Firewall for most people.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Daniel Ostro

Re: File Sharing with an XP laptop and Vista laptop on the same ne
Thank you.
I am also having an issue because I can't ping my Vista laptop when I try on
my XP laptop.
How can I fix this and why does this happen?

Daniel Ostro wrote:

> Thank you.
> I am also having an issue because I can't ping my Vista laptop when I try
> on my XP laptop.
> How can I fix this and why does this happen?

Fix the network file/printer sharing issue and properly configure your
firewalls.

Malke

techloutre@gmail.com

On Apr 24, 4:54*am, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> Daniel Ostro wrote:
> > I have 2 laptops, both connected wirelessly to a Linksys router and both

....snip...
> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.
> *****
>
> Malke

Feedback: This did the trick. I had the same problem and checked the
three machines we use in the house (XP Pro, Vista Home, and Vista
Business) that were unable to communicate with each other. Turned out
to be McAfee firewall turned on, on two of the units (one of those 3-
PC anti-everything packages). I turned off the McAfee firewalls on
the XP and VistaBus machine, and my wife can now print from the other
end of the house and I can access my data files from the garage.
Thank you Very Much.

Otter

techloutre@gmail.com wrote:

> On Apr 24, 4:54*am, Malke <ma...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> Daniel Ostro wrote:
>> > I have 2 laptops, both connected wirelessly to a Linksys router and
>> > both

> ...snip...
>> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

> Feedback: This did the trick. I had the same problem and checked the
> three machines we use in the house (XP Pro, Vista Home, and Vista
> Business) that were unable to communicate with each other. Turned out
> to be McAfee firewall turned on, on two of the units (one of those 3-
> PC anti-everything packages). I turned off the McAfee firewalls on
> the XP and VistaBus machine, and my wife can now print from the other
> end of the house and I can access my data files from the garage.
> Thank you Very Much.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your solution. Your
feedback is appreciated.

Malke