Member limitation for Vista Workgroup

chris

Member limitation for Vista Workgroup
Hi

I started my MCITP training. Our trainer told us, that there is a limit of
maximum 25 Vista clients in a Vista workgroup. Is this correct? From my point
of knowledge, there is only a limitation of 10 concurrent incomming
connections. There is no limitation on the number of members in a workgroup.
I know, a workgroup with above 20 clients for file- and printsharing makes
no sence, but is there a limitation?

Special thanks for your feedback.
chris
Malke

Re: Member limitation for Vista Workgroup
chris wrote:

> Hi
>
> I started my MCITP training. Our trainer told us, that there is a limit of
> maximum 25 Vista clients in a Vista workgroup. Is this correct? From my
> point of knowledge, there is only a limitation of 10 concurrent incomming
> connections. There is no limitation on the number of members in a
> workgroup. I know, a workgroup with above 20 clients for file- and
> printsharing makes no sence, but is there a limitation?

You are correct and your trainer is wrong. It would be foolish to have a
workgroup with 25 workstations - you would really want a server and a
domain - but that isn't because of any limitation on the number of machines
that can be on a network. And there are no "clients" in a Workgroup. By its
nature, a Workgroup consists of peer workstations. "Client" means a server
is involved.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Gordon

"chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I started my MCITP training. Our trainer told us, that there is a limit of
> maximum 25 Vista clients in a Vista workgroup. Is this correct? From my
> point
> of knowledge, there is only a limitation of 10 concurrent incomming
> connections. There is no limitation on the number of members in a
> workgroup.
> I know, a workgroup with above 20 clients for file- and printsharing makes
> no sence, but is there a limitation?
>
> Special thanks for your feedback.
> chris

To add to what Malke said - in a peer-to-peer workgroup, all security (i.e.
log-on credentials) information is held on each local machine. Therefore if
you have a workgroup of 25, you would need to create (and administer) 25
Users with 25 passwords on EACH of the 25 machines, assuming all 25 need
access to all the other machines.
Hence a server is far more practical over about 4 or 5 machines...

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

chris

Re: Member limitation for Vista Workgroup
Thanks for your immediate answers. Now, I'm reassured.

regards
chris

"Gordon" wrote:

> "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I started my MCITP training. Our trainer told us, that there is a limit of
> > maximum 25 Vista clients in a Vista workgroup. Is this correct? From my
> > point
> > of knowledge, there is only a limitation of 10 concurrent incomming
> > connections. There is no limitation on the number of members in a
> > workgroup.
> > I know, a workgroup with above 20 clients for file- and printsharing makes
> > no sence, but is there a limitation?
> >
> > Special thanks for your feedback.
> > chris

> To add to what Malke said - in a peer-to-peer workgroup, all security (i.e.
> log-on credentials) information is held on each local machine. Therefore if
> you have a workgroup of 25, you would need to create (and administer) 25
> Users with 25 passwords on EACH of the 25 machines, assuming all 25 need
> access to all the other machines.
> Hence a server is far more practical over about 4 or 5 machines...
>
> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Bill Kearney

> Thanks for your immediate answers. Now, I'm reassured.

Don't be, what else is the trainer getting wrong?

klauss2009 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Member limitation for Vista Workgroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Hi

I started my MCITP training. Our trainer told us, that there is a limit of
maximum 25 Vista clients in a Vista workgroup. Is this correct? From my point
of knowledge, there is only a limitation of 10 concurrent incomming
connections. There is no limitation on the number of members in a workgroup.
I know, a workgroup with above 20 clients for file- and printsharing makes
no sence, but is there a limitation?

Special thanks for your feedback.
chris
,

If you don't me asking the question, did you by any chance did your training with Firebrand Training?

paulsson is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Member limitation for Vista Workgroup
Quote:
Originally Posted by klauss2009 View Post
,

If you don't me asking the question, did you by any chance did your training with Firebrand Training?
,

To be honest, it depends who’s delivering the actual training, clients can be from 8 to 30+ people. My class was 25 people, which is not usual for a professional class. One of my friends' did MCITP Training from Firebrand. He said the course was fine. Why do you ask?

Last edited by paulsson : 01-20-2012 at 12:47.