Domain Connection with Vista Home Premium

pestocat

Domain Connection with Vista Home Premium
I have 64 bit Vista Home Premium, can I connect to a domain. I see I can
connect to a Workgroup, but I don't see a way to connect to my internal
domain.
Thank you

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: Domain Connection with Vista Home Premium

"pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message
>I have 64 bit Vista Home Premium, can I connect to a domain. I see I
>can connect to a Workgroup, but I don't see a way to connect to my
>internal domain.

Home versions of Windows cannot join domains. You'll need the
Business or Ultimate version to do that.

--
Zaphod

"The best Bang since the Big One" - Eccentrica Gallumbits

Gordon

Re: Domain Connection with Vista Home Premium
"pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message
>I have 64 bit Vista Home Premium, can I connect to a domain. I see I can
>connect to a Workgroup, but I don't see a way to connect to my internal
>domain.
> Thank you

Home will not connect to a domain. You can still use resources (such as
printers) on the network, but you can't connect to the domain.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

jegesq

Re: Domain Connection with Vista Home Premium

>I have 64 bit Vista Home Premium, can I connect to a domain. I see I

can
>connect to a Workgroup, but I don't see a way to connect to my

internal
>domain.
> Thank you

I have successfully connected two computers (one a laptop 32 bit) and
the other a desktop (64 bit) both running Vista Home Premium to my
office network. I have full access to all network resources, including
printers, all file shares (both those on server located drives and other
users' shared drives), and can access the server either directly at the
office, or remotely using VPN.

It's a -lot- harder to do with Vista Home Premium, than it is with
Vista Business or Ultimate, and not intuitive at all, but it can be
done. It takes a lot more time and some trial and error, but it can be
done. Just make sure that you set up your "user account" on Vista Home
Premium to use exactly the same ID that you use on your business network
domain already (presumably you already have an account on your
domain...just use the same one, with the same password).

--
jegesq
GmoneyRed

Re: Domain Connection with Vista Home Premium

jegesq, can you elaborate?

--
GmoneyRed