Wireless Lan connected but no Internet

Frank

Wireless Lan connected but no Internet
As an experienced computer user, i can't seem to figure out how to repare one
of mine laptops.
I got two identical laptops (Vista Ulit.) and are installed the same way,
but on laptop A I can't get to the internet over wireless, where as laptop B
doesn't have a problem with wireless.
When I connect Laptop A to a wired LAN ethernet cable, internet is working
normally, but when I unplug the cable and wireless is taking over all i've
got left is local lan.
- Ping test internal is ok, external request time-out.
- Tried static ip-adresses.
- un-installed anti-virus and firewall software NIS 2009 (after scanning
offcourse)
- disabled windows firewall and DEP
- Cleaned host -file
- Resetting Wireless driver
- serveral tweaks en tips on other forums
- compared setting between the two laptops
- compared windows updates and are full up to date.
- checked the router for entry's

It is so strange that it works with a LAN cable and that laptop b has no
wireless problems. This doesn't make sense.

For the wireless network i'm using the Zyxel P-2602HW-D1A which is also the
dsl gateway.
Tracert is reporting this as the only record.

I hope someone can give me some pointers?

Thanks

Jack-MVP

Re: Wireless Lan connected but no Internet
Hi
It seems that you do not have a valid Wireless connection between the
Computer and the Router.
This page was written for XP but the principle is similar in Vista (the
menus would look different).
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As an experienced computer user, i can't seem to figure out how to repare
> one
> of mine laptops.
> I got two identical laptops (Vista Ulit.) and are installed the same way,
> but on laptop A I can't get to the internet over wireless, where as laptop
> doesn't have a problem with wireless.
> When I connect Laptop A to a wired LAN ethernet cable, internet is working
> normally, but when I unplug the cable and wireless is taking over all i've
> got left is local lan.
> - Ping test internal is ok, external request time-out.
> - Tried static ip-adresses.
> - un-installed anti-virus and firewall software NIS 2009 (after scanning
> offcourse)
> - disabled windows firewall and DEP
> - Cleaned host -file
> - Resetting Wireless driver
> - serveral tweaks en tips on other forums
> - compared setting between the two laptops
> - compared windows updates and are full up to date.
> - checked the router for entry's
>
> It is so strange that it works with a LAN cable and that laptop b has no
> wireless problems. This doesn't make sense.
>
> For the wireless network i'm using the Zyxel P-2602HW-D1A which is also
> the
> dsl gateway.
> Tracert is reporting this as the only record.
>
> I hope someone can give me some pointers?
>
> Thanks

Frank

Re: Wireless Lan connected but no Internet
Jack, Thanks for repling, but the solution wasn't there.
The laptop A did worked perfectly for months and suddenly it didn't.
Everything on the lan site is availible also the routers conf.homepage.

Unfortunately system restore isn't an option anymore because of the limited
restore points and the weeks I'm allready troubling with this issue.

Another thing I tried is to have no security or encryption on the wireless
router. No succes.

I will now replace the wireless router (which btw has the latest firmwire)
with a new one, and have a look at what the result are.

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

> Hi
> It seems that you do not have a valid Wireless connection between the
> Computer and the Router.
> This page was written for XP but the principle is similar in Vista (the
> menus would look different).
> http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > As an experienced computer user, i can't seem to figure out how to repare
> > one
> > of mine laptops.
> > I got two identical laptops (Vista Ulit.) and are installed the same way,
> > but on laptop A I can't get to the internet over wireless, where as laptop
> > doesn't have a problem with wireless.
> > When I connect Laptop A to a wired LAN ethernet cable, internet is working
> > normally, but when I unplug the cable and wireless is taking over all i've
> > got left is local lan.
> > - Ping test internal is ok, external request time-out.
> > - Tried static ip-adresses.
> > - un-installed anti-virus and firewall software NIS 2009 (after scanning
> > offcourse)
> > - disabled windows firewall and DEP
> > - Cleaned host -file
> > - Resetting Wireless driver
> > - serveral tweaks en tips on other forums
> > - compared setting between the two laptops
> > - compared windows updates and are full up to date.
> > - checked the router for entry's
> >
> > It is so strange that it works with a LAN cable and that laptop b has no
> > wireless problems. This doesn't make sense.
> >
> > For the wireless network i'm using the Zyxel P-2602HW-D1A which is also
> > the
> > dsl gateway.
> > Tracert is reporting this as the only record.
> >
> > I hope someone can give me some pointers?
> >
> > Thanks

Frank

Re: Wireless Lan connected but no Internet
Suprisingly, the new modem in default mode solved the internet issue.
I did a clean setup {dsl - router - laptop A} using enet or wless. Both
worked.

It got me thinking about the sbs2003 i've got in my network. I think I need
to change focus on the sbs2003 server instead of the laptop.

Why and how, the sbs-svr is blocking the laptop, I don't know, but I'm sure
to find out.

Frank