Access is denied ( to remote shared PC folder)

Mike

Access is denied ( to remote shared PC folder)
I have a Windows PC which I can't access from my Vista PC. I get a message
xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network
resource.
Access is denied

I saw somewhere that the following Egistry Key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
should set to 0

I have done it on both PC's but it doen't help.
Can someone help please?
Reagrds
Mike

Malke

Re: Access is denied ( to remote shared PC folder)
Mike wrote:

> I have a Windows PC which I can't access from my Vista PC. I get a message
> xxxxxxx is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource.
> Access is denied
>
> I saw somewhere that the following Egistry Key
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa
> should set to 0
>
> I have done it on both PC's but it doen't help.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
caveat in Item A below).

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network Setup Wizard on
XP will take care of this for those machines.The only "gotcha" is that this
will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a
third-party firewall or have an antivirus/security program with its own
firewall component, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I
usually configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Refer to any third party security program's Help or user forums for
how to properly configure its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall.
DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS; CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

ckullar

Re: Access is denied ( to remote shared PC folder)

I am desperate with Vista - the security setup seems very poorly
designed - overcomplicated and simply frustrating. I have tried
everything recommended and still cannot get my PC's (running XP and
Vista) to connect to my newest Vista machine. Is ther a way to set it
so it has no security at all..this is wasting my life dealing with such
a simple issue - copying files from one pc to another

--
ckullar
Luis Armelin

Re: Access is denied ( to remote shared PC folder)
ckullar,

You need to turn on the "network discover" in Network and Sharing Center".
If newtwork discovery is turned off, you can't see Windows Vista on the
network.
Warning: Be sure that your type of network is Private.

Luis Alberto Armelin