Vista Home Basic networking-mapping

BG

Vista Home Basic networking-mapping
Im running two machines, both with vista home basic OS's - in Chinese. They
can see each other through wireless router, but one cant go into others "c"
drive. Access is denied. I need to be able to map drives freely and see each
others drives, folders and files. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated. (I have even been able to map the drives, but cant get into
them), though have been able to share a printer. I have tried numerous
avenues, such as adding "everyone" to permissions, but still have not been
able to achieve success. I know this is possible and probably really easy,
just missing something along the way.
Thank you for your assistance.
--
BG

--
BG
Malke

Re: Vista Home Basic networking-mapping
BG wrote:

> Im running two machines, both with vista home basic OS's - in Chinese.
> They can see each other through wireless router, but one cant go into
> others "c" drive. Access is denied. I need to be able to map drives freely
> and see each others drives, folders and files. Any assistance would be
> greatly appreciated. (I have even been able to map the drives, but cant
> get into them), though have been able to share a printer. I have tried
> numerous avenues, such as adding "everyone" to permissions, but still have
> not been able to achieve success. I know this is possible and probably
> really easy, just missing something along the way.
> Thank you for your assistance.

It doesn't matter if they are in Chinese or not. You probably don't have the
same user account/password on both machines and/or a misconfigured
firewall. Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything
may be applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may
look daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions
below systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up
your sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a third-party firewall
or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then
you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third
party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure
its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

Malke
--
MS-MVP