Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a XP
Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each other with
no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by wireless while
the desktops are connected by Cat5.

This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I am
connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each other
fine. The other three computers can see and access each other fine.

I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to recongnize
the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.

The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days ago
and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital for a
week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if this
changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded any
software, updates, etc.

I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.

Any ideas what may be causing this?

Michael

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or post
them here.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Rev. Michael L. Burns" <sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote in message
>I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a
>XP Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each other
>with no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by wireless
>while the desktops are connected by Cat5.
>
> This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
> other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I am
> connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each other
> fine. The other three computers can see and access each other fine.
>
> I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to recongnize
> the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.
>
> The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days ago
> and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital for a
> week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if this
> changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded any
> software, updates, etc.
>
> I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.
>
> Any ideas what may be causing this?
>
> Michael

Michael Walraven

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
in network and sharing center make sure the active network is shown as
'Private network', not public network (it should have got set as public when
you connected to the public WIFI, but perhaps is not getting set back to
Private now that you are home.

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or
> post them here.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Rev. Michael L. Burns" <sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote in message
>>I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a
>>XP Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each other
>>with no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by wireless
>>while the desktops are connected by Cat5.
>>
>> This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
>> other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I am
>> connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each
>> other fine. The other three computers can see and access each other fine.
>>
>> I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to recongnize
>> the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.
>>
>> The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days ago
>> and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital for a
>> week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if this
>> changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded any
>> software, updates, etc.
>>
>> I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.
>>
>> Any ideas what may be causing this?
>>
>> Michael

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
I verified that it is Private and network discovery is on.

Michael

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> in network and sharing center make sure the active network is shown as
> 'Private network', not public network (it should have got set as public
> when you connected to the public WIFI, but perhaps is not getting set back
> to Private now that you are home.
>

> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or
>> post them here.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Rev. Michael L. Burns" <sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a
>>>XP Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each
>>>other with no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by
>>>wireless while the desktops are connected by Cat5.
>>>
>>> This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
>>> other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I
>>> am connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each
>>> other fine. The other three computers can see and access each other
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to
>>> recongnize the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.
>>>
>>> The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days
>>> ago and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital
>>> for a week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if
>>> this changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded
>>> any software, updates, etc.
>>>
>>> I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what may be causing this?
>>>
>>> Michael

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
Bob,

I'm not at the office right now but attached is a word document containing
the results from running ipconfig/all on the tabletpc.

Michael

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
> Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or
> post them here.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Rev. Michael L. Burns" <sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote in message
>>I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a
>>XP Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each other
>>with no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by wireless
>>while the desktops are connected by Cat5.
>>
>> This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
>> other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I am
>> connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each
>> other fine. The other three computers can see and access each other fine.
>>
>> I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to recongnize
>> the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.
>>
>> The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days ago
>> and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital for a
>> week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if this
>> changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded any
>> software, updates, etc.
>>
>> I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.
>>
>> Any ideas what may be causing this?
>>
>> Michael

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:22:03 -0500, "Rev. Michael L. Burns"
<sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote:

>I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a XP
>Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each other with
>no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by wireless while
>the desktops are connected by Cat5.
>
>This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
>other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I am
>connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each other
>fine. The other three computers can see and access each other fine.
>
>I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to recongnize
>the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.
>
>The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days ago
>and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital for a
>week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if this
>changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded any
>software, updates, etc.
>
>I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.
>
>Any ideas what may be causing this?
>
>Michael

Michael,

Logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config server", and "net
config workstation", from each computer, may provide essential clues that lead
to identification of the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Michael Walraven

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
All IP address in same network? (192.168.1.x for instance).
Could also be a firewall preventing discovery, if you have added updated or
otherwise modified your security software that might be a place to check.

As a magic incantation I have sometime been successful by turning off a
function and then turning it back on. Doesn't cost much to try.

"Rev. Michael L. Burns" <sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote in message
newsEA58720-629A-428F-A6E0-0318864CF658@microsoft.com...
> I verified that it is Private and network discovery is on.
>
> Michael
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> in network and sharing center make sure the active network is shown as
>> 'Private network', not public network (it should have got set as public
>> when you connected to the public WIFI, but perhaps is not getting set
>> back to Private now that you are home.
>>

>> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>>> Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or
>>> post them here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
I just noted in the Network and Sharing Center under under File Sharing,
there are two options, On or Off. When I select On and then Apply it does
not show as on but as Custom which isn't one of the options. Check of drive
C shows that it is being shared. Could the Custom be part of the problem.
Ipconfig/all on Notebook (which works) and tabletpc (which doesn't) show no
differences other than network card type.

Michael

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> in network and sharing center make sure the active network is shown as
> 'Private network', not public network (it should have got set as public
> when you connected to the public WIFI, but perhaps is not getting set back
> to Private now that you are home.
>

> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>> Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or
>> post them here.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Rev. Michael L. Burns" <sdbpastor@charter.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a home network that consists off an XP Desktop, a Vista Desktop, a
>>>XP Notebook and a Vista Tabletpc. They could all see and access each
>>>other with no problem. The Tabletpc and Notebook both are connected by
>>>wireless while the desktops are connected by Cat5.
>>>
>>> This morning I went to use the Tabletpc and it cannot see either of the
>>> other computers and they cannot see the Tabletpc., regarless whether I
>>> am connected by wireless or Cat5. However, they can see and access each
>>> other fine. The other three computers can see and access each other
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> I have tried everything I can think of to get the tabletpc to
>>> recongnize the other computers an vise-versa to no avail.
>>>
>>> The last time I used the tabletpc on my home network was about 8 days
>>> ago and it was working fine. That night I was admitted to the hospital
>>> for a week. While there I connected to the hospital's wifi. Not sure if
>>> this changed something or not but other than that I have not downloaded
>>> any software, updates, etc.
>>>
>>> I might add that I can access the internet fine through the tabletpc.
>>>
>>> Any ideas what may be causing this?
>>>
>>> Michael

Michael Walraven

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
My settings are:
Network discovery - ON
File Sharing - ON
Public folder sharing - ON (Password required)
Printer sharing - ON (Password required)
Password protected sharing - ON
Media sharing - Off

This is pretty much the way Microsoft Recommends for my machine. Other
setups will work of course but may be more interesting.

Sharing the C:\ (root) drive is discouraged. You should consider why you are
doing that! (If you did not do it, then you may have a problem with a
compromised system).

As I understand, Custom can result if some services have been turned off and
also if some firewall setting interfere with the operations.

Michael

> I just noted in the Network and Sharing Center under under File Sharing,
> there are two options, On or Off. When I select On and then Apply it does
> not show as on but as Custom which isn't one of the options. Check of
> drive C shows that it is being shared. Could the Custom be part of the
> problem. Ipconfig/all on Notebook (which works) and tabletpc (which
> doesn't) show no differences other than network card type.
>
> Michael
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> in network and sharing center make sure the active network is shown as
>> 'Private network', not public network (it should have got set as public
>> when you connected to the public WIFI, but perhaps is not getting set
>> back to Private now that you are home.
>>

>> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" <noreply@chicagotech.net> wrote in message
>>> Compare the problematic computer ipconfig /all with other computers. Or
>>> post them here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on
>>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on
>>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Re: Suddenly cannot see other computers in my Workgroup and they can't see me
Michael,

My settings are the same as yours with the exception of always showing
Custon for File Sharing. Any ideas as to what services may be turned off?