Connect to not working

ldb

Connect to not working
In Vista home premium, if I click on the Start/Connect to button, nothing
happens. This appears to be a broken shortcut. Can this app be manually
called up by an exe file? How could this broken shortcut be fixed? I am
having trouble using the built in wireless NIC and an plug in wireless G card
to connect to wifi. This computer is not connected to a router. Both NIC's
appear with red x's. The internal NIC IS turned on via the Gateway mobility
center.
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Connect to not working
Hi
The wire connection need to be connect to something with a wire in order to
have viable connection.
The Wireless need a valid Wireless source, usually a Wireless Router.
What exactly you have that you want to connect to.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Vista home premium, if I click on the Start/Connect to button, nothing
> happens. This appears to be a broken shortcut. Can this app be manually
> called up by an exe file? How could this broken shortcut be fixed? I am
> having trouble using the built in wireless NIC and an plug in wireless G
> card
> to connect to wifi. This computer is not connected to a router. Both
> NIC's
> appear with red x's. The internal NIC IS turned on via the Gateway
> mobility
> center.

ldb

Re: Connect to not working

This computer used to show networks that it could connect to wirelessly such
as many of the free internet access sites in restaurants without encryption.
It now does not with either the built in wireless NIC or a plug in notebook
wireless NIC that Vista loads drivers for. The internal wireless NIC IS
turned on. When viewing the devices in the networking part of control panel,
it says that wireless networks are available and when you try and connect,
none show up in where the available list would be. Wired connections work
fine. In the TCPIP properties, it says to obtain an IP address. Both NIC's
show up in device manager and report to be working properly. Using the
diagnostic repair tool just brings you full circle to where you were.

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> The wire connection need to be connect to something with a wire in order to
> have viable connection.
> The Wireless need a valid Wireless source, usually a Wireless Router.
> What exactly you have that you want to connect to.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In Vista home premium, if I click on the Start/Connect to button, nothing
> > happens. This appears to be a broken shortcut. Can this app be manually
> > called up by an exe file? How could this broken shortcut be fixed? I am
> > having trouble using the built in wireless NIC and an plug in wireless G
> > card
> > to connect to wifi. This computer is not connected to a router. Both
> > NIC's
> > appear with red x's. The internal NIC IS turned on via the Gateway
> > mobility
> > center.

Jack-MVP

Re: Connect to not working
Hi
I do not have a special age for Vista but you try to follow this process in
principle.
http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
If every thing checks OK, check to make sure what is the status of the
Encryption and clean the Wireless connection least.
http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist

> This computer used to show networks that it could connect to wirelessly
> such
> as many of the free internet access sites in restaurants without
> encryption.
> It now does not with either the built in wireless NIC or a plug in
> notebook
> wireless NIC that Vista loads drivers for. The internal wireless NIC IS
> turned on. When viewing the devices in the networking part of control
> panel,
> it says that wireless networks are available and when you try and connect,
> none show up in where the available list would be. Wired connections work
> fine. In the TCPIP properties, it says to obtain an IP address. Both
> NIC's
> show up in device manager and report to be working properly. Using the
> diagnostic repair tool just brings you full circle to where you were.
>
> "Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> The wire connection need to be connect to something with a wire in order
>> have viable connection.
>> The Wireless need a valid Wireless source, usually a Wireless Router.
>> What exactly you have that you want to connect to.
>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > In Vista home premium, if I click on the Start/Connect to button,
>> > nothing
>> > happens. This appears to be a broken shortcut. Can this app be
>> > manually
>> > called up by an exe file? How could this broken shortcut be fixed? I
>> > am
>> > having trouble using the built in wireless NIC and an plug in wireless
>> > card
>> > to connect to wifi. This computer is not connected to a router. Both
>> > NIC's
>> > appear with red x's. The internal NIC IS turned on via the Gateway
>> > mobility
>> > center.

ldb

Re: Connect to not working
Well go figure, the button and the other connect to links suddenly started
working again. The built in NIC also is working and available wireless
networks were visible and I could connect to them. I did nothing , it just
started working. Thanks for any help, this was my 2nd post and I worked for
hours on this about a week ago with no results.