Is someone able to explain ???

Peter F

Is someone able to explain ???
Hi All,

I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my home
PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have
successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my
own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to me
how would it work if i was in another town etc...

What i mean to say is how does it know the ip address as there are probably
hundreds of thousands if not millions of ip address ranges that begin with
192.168.1 as these are generally used as home network addresses.

Any help that could explain this would be greatfully appreciated.

Regards.
--
Flinty
Malke

Re: Is someone able to explain ???
Peter F wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my
> home PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have
> successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my
> own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to
> me how would it work if i was in another town etc...
>
> What i mean to say is how does it know the ip address as there are
> probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of ip address ranges that
> begin with 192.168.1 as these are generally used as home network
> addresses.
>
> Any help that could explain this would be greatfully appreciated.

From the Outside World you must access the home's *public* IP address, not
the internal LAN IP address (192.168.1.xxx) which is private and not
visible to the Outside World.

1. On the computer which will stay at home - set a static IP address outside
of the router's DHCP range. IOW, if your router hands out IP addresses from
192.168.1.100-150, use a static IP of something like 192.168.1.200.

2. On the router, forward the ports that UltraVNC uses (and you'll need to
look in UltraVNC's Help files/website for that because I don't know them
offhand) to the target computer.

I'm assuming you already have the target computer's firewall set to allow
the VNC ports or your in-house experiment wouldn't have worked.

Now you need a way of knowing what your *public* IP address is. This is the
one that the router gets from your Internet Service provider on the WAN
side. You can either pay your ISP extra for a static IP address (this is
not the same as the private one handed out by your router) or you can use a
DNS service from a company like

http://www.no-ip.com/
http://www.dyndns.com/

(Google for more.)

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Ben M. Schorr - MVP (OneNote)

Re: Is someone able to explain ???
Actually it's far more complicated than that - the 192.168.x.x addresses
are private, non-routable addresses used inside networks. And yes,
there are probably millions of networks using those addresses.

The address you need is your PUBLIC IP address which is the address
assigned to your cable modem or DSL modem or other router/device you use
to connect to the Internet. You can find it by going to IPTOOLS.COM or
IPCHICKEN.COM or any of a number of other sites. However...it may not
be static - which is to say that it may change periodically. So even if
you know what it is today, you might not know what it is next month.

The other issue is that you'd need to configure your firewall/router to
pass traffic that is received from the Internet, on the port you need
for UltraVNC (I don't remember offhand, I'd have to look it up) to your
computer that hosts UltraVNC.

Hope that helps.

--
-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, MVP

"Peter F" <PeterF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my home
> PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have
> successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my
> own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to me
> how would it work if i was in another town etc...
>
> What i mean to say is how does it know the ip address as there are probably
> hundreds of thousands if not millions of ip address ranges that begin with
> 192.168.1 as these are generally used as home network addresses.
>
> Any help that could explain this would be greatfully appreciated.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Flinty

Frankster

Re: Is someone able to explain ???

"Peter F" <PeterF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my
> home
> PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have
> successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my
> own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to
> me
> how would it work if i was in another town etc...
>
> What i mean to say is how does it know the ip address as there are
> probably
> hundreds of thousands if not millions of ip address ranges that begin with
> 192.168.1 as these are generally used as home network addresses.
>
> Any help that could explain this would be greatfully appreciated.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Flinty

Because the (VNC client) software on your computer is constantly updating
the host server with your information. When you login to your account on the
host computer from anywhere on the Internet it knows your information
(including the public IP assigned to your provider-supplied router) and then
finds its way to your PC.

-Frank

Frankster wrote:

> Because the (VNC client) software on your computer is constantly updating
> the host server with your information. When you login to your account on
> the host computer from anywhere on the Internet it knows your information
> (including the public IP assigned to your provider-supplied router) and
> then finds its way to your PC.

This is wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to start. Read the
information already given to the OP by me and Mr. Schorr for the correct
answers.

Malke

> Frankster wrote:
>
>> Because the (VNC client) software on your computer is constantly updating
>> the host server with your information. When you login to your account on
>> the host computer from anywhere on the Internet it knows your information
>> (including the public IP assigned to your provider-supplied router) and
>> then finds its way to your PC.

> This is wrong in so many ways I don't even know where to start. Read the
> information already given to the OP by me and Mr. Schorr for the correct
> answers.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

You're right. I *somehow* read into the post that he was already using this
software remotely without knowing the public IP. This would, of course, be
impossible with the actual VNC product. Therefore I (incorrectly) assumed
it was actually a "VNC Alternative" software that he had loaded (i.e. Go To
My Pc or Logmein, etc). I described how they work. Sorry.

-Frank

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Is someone able to explain ???
Hi
UltraVNC is an excellent remote program, but it is much better (and safer)
to use it with its own VNC viewer.
The viewer is one independent file ( vncviewer.exe around 1MB resides after
installation in the VNC folder) that can be copy onto a flash drive and then
can be used from any computer in the world by plugging the Flash drive to a
USB port and and running the vncviewer (it is also much safer since it does
not leave files on the hard Drive the way the browser do).
These two pages can help in the matter too.
Setting VNC: : http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
Home Server IP on the Internet: http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Peter F" <PeterF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my
> home
> PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have
> successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my
> own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to
> me
> how would it work if i was in another town etc...
>
> What i mean to say is how does it know the ip address as there are
> probably
> hundreds of thousands if not millions of ip address ranges that begin with
> 192.168.1 as these are generally used as home network addresses.
>
> Any help that could explain this would be greatfully appreciated.
>
> Regards.
> --
> Flinty

Peter F

Re: Is someone able to explain ???
Thanks everyone for you kind replys.

Malke, Ben, Jack, would i be able to identify my public ip address through
the router? I know that there is an ip address together with a couple of DNS
server addresses. Would this be my IP address?

--
Flinty

"Jack [MVP-Networking]" wrote:

> Hi
> UltraVNC is an excellent remote program, but it is much better (and safer)
> to use it with its own VNC viewer.
> The viewer is one independent file ( vncviewer.exe around 1MB resides after
> installation in the VNC folder) that can be copy onto a flash drive and then
> can be used from any computer in the world by plugging the Flash drive to a
> USB port and and running the vncviewer (it is also much safer since it does
> not leave files on the hard Drive the way the browser do).
> These two pages can help in the matter too.
> Setting VNC: : http://www.ezlan.net/vnc.html
> Home Server IP on the Internet: http://www.ezlan.net/myip.html
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Peter F" <PeterF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have just installed a piece of software which allows me to control my
> > home
> > PC from just about anywhere in the world ultraVNC. Although i have
> > successfully managed to connect to the machine via Internet Explorer in my
> > own house using a laptop to connect to my home PC could someone explain to
> > me
> > how would it work if i was in another town etc...
> >
> > What i mean to say is how does it know the ip address as there are
> > probably
> > hundreds of thousands if not millions of ip address ranges that begin with
> > 192.168.1 as these are generally used as home network addresses.
> >
> > Any help that could explain this would be greatfully appreciated.
> >
> > Regards.
> > --
> > Flinty

Thomas Wendell

Re: Is someone able to explain ???
This will give your your public IP (there are dozens of others similar ones
out there, google for "what is my ip")

http://www.ip-adress.com/

--
Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland

"Peter F" <PeterF@discussions.microsoft.com> kirjoitti
viestissń:5FC64820-D7F1-4DF3-9E9E-9C05CA8174A7@microsoft.com...

Peter F wrote:

> Thanks everyone for you kind replys.
>
> Malke, Ben, Jack, would i be able to identify my public ip address through
> the router? I know that there is an ip address together with a couple of
> DNS server addresses. Would this be my IP address?

Your public IP address will show on your router or you can go to
whatismyip.com and it will show, but the problem is that most home Internet
Service Providers give you a *dynamic* IP address. This means that your
public IP address can change, as Ben already told you. When you're on the
road, you won't be able to see the new address. Your remote software will
be looking for something like 68.12.47.104 (totally made up number for the
example) when your current IP is really 68.12.47.200 (another totally made
up number) and the remote connection will obviously fail.

If you have someone at home at the computer when you want to connect, you
can have them go to whatismyip.com or the like (Ben gave you other sites)
and read you the IP address. Obviously this isn't really a practical
solution. The answer is to do as I already suggested and either pay your
ISP extra for a *static* (doesn't change) public IP address or use a
service that works with dynamic addresses to give you a static one, like
the ones I already gave you.

Malke