Wireless problem on Vista

99XJ

Wireless problem on Vista
I'm re-posting this because it is only visible online at the MS website, not
on NewsReaders so.... (I'll try again)...

I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router
with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no problem
in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link
wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router, hookup was as would
be expected, find the SSID, click, a prompt for passphrase, sweet.

Now what happens is this... I right click the network icon in the taskbar
and select "Connect to a network" a list of available networks shows.( as
usual) I click our SSID and a different message appears than before, instead
of getting the usual prompt for a simple passphrase, I get a "Windows needs
more credentials to connect to this network", I click it and then a window
appears prompting for...

Username
Password
Domain pass

this is not an option suitable for the usual WPA Personal encryption, first
off there is no user name, no domain, its just WPA personal, TKIP,
passphrase... what can I do? like I said it connects fine if no encryption
is used. and it worked fine Lo these last 2 years with a Linksys WRT54G

I'm not very familiar with Vista, I'm an XP man myself

(I and my wife have XP, router installed on mine)
(My wife has windows XP with a Linksys adaptor and it works fine so I know
it is a Vista conflict)

Frankster

Re: Wireless problem on Vista

"99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm re-posting this because it is only visible online at the MS website,
> not
> on NewsReaders so.... (I'll try again)...
>
> I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router
> with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no
> problem
> in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link
> wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router, hookup was as would
> be expected, find the SSID, click, a prompt for passphrase, sweet.
>
> Now what happens is this... I right click the network icon in the taskbar
> and select "Connect to a network" a list of available networks shows.( as
> usual) I click our SSID and a different message appears than before,
> instead
> of getting the usual prompt for a simple passphrase, I get a "Windows
> needs
> more credentials to connect to this network", I click it and then a window
> appears prompting for...
>
> Username
> Password
> Domain pass
>
> this is not an option suitable for the usual WPA Personal encryption,
> first
> off there is no user name, no domain, its just WPA personal, TKIP,
> passphrase... what can I do? like I said it connects fine if no encryption
> is used. and it worked fine Lo these last 2 years with a Linksys WRT54G
>
> I'm not very familiar with Vista, I'm an XP man myself
>
> (I and my wife have XP, router installed on mine)
> (My wife has windows XP with a Linksys adaptor and it works fine so I know
> it is a Vista conflict)

Go here, and descibe the settings that you have different from this example.

http://www.support.dlink.com/emulato..._Wireless.html

-Frank

99XJ

Re: Wireless problem on Vista
Auto channel scan off, (set to channel 11)
channel width 20mhz (not Auto)
Security Mode WPA-Personal
WPA Only
3600
PassphraseXXX

(It works fine with encryption disabled)

news:nISdnTs1E42v23jUnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> Auto channel scan off, (set to channel 11)
> channel width 20mhz (not Auto)
> Security Mode WPA-Personal
> WPA Only
> 3600
> PassphraseXXX
>
> (It works fine with encryption disabled)
>
> "Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> news:nISdnTs1E42v23jUnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>
> "99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm re-posting this because it is only visible online at the MS website,
>> not
>> on NewsReaders so.... (I'll try again)...
>>
>> I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router
>> with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no
>> problem
>> in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link
>> wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router, hookup was as
>> would
>> be expected, find the SSID, click, a prompt for passphrase, sweet.
>>
>> Now what happens is this... I right click the network icon in the taskbar
>> and select "Connect to a network" a list of available networks shows.( as
>> usual) I click our SSID and a different message appears than before,
>> instead
>> of getting the usual prompt for a simple passphrase, I get a "Windows
>> needs
>> more credentials to connect to this network", I click it and then a
>> window
>> appears prompting for...
>>
>> Username
>> Password
>> Domain pass
>>
>> this is not an option suitable for the usual WPA Personal encryption,
>> first
>> off there is no user name, no domain, its just WPA personal, TKIP,
>> passphrase... what can I do? like I said it connects fine if no
>> encryption
>> is used. and it worked fine Lo these last 2 years with a Linksys WRT54G
>>
>> I'm not very familiar with Vista, I'm an XP man myself
>>
>> (I and my wife have XP, router installed on mine)
>> (My wife has windows XP with a Linksys adaptor and it works fine so I
>> know
>> it is a Vista conflict)
>>

> Go here, and descibe the settings that you have different from this
> example.
>
> http://www.support.dlink.com/emulato..._Wireless.html
>
> -Frank

Any chance you have done this on the Network settings?

-----------------
Local Domain Name
This entry is optional. Enter a domain name for the local network. Your LAN
computer will assume this domain name when it gets an address from the
router's built in DHCP server. So, for example, if you enter mynetwork.net
here, and you have a LAN side laptop with a name of chris, that laptop will
be known as chris.mynetwork.net. Note, however, the entered domain name can
be overridden by the one obtained from the router's upstream DHCP server.
---------------

-Frank

99XJ

Re: Wireless problem on Vista
Nope! local domain is blank. Even if it had something in it that still
doesn't explain the "User Name", "Password" (not passphrase) would that be:
Admin, My Password, leave domain blank?

"Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
news:McKdnSM5I4VPGHvUnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> [...]
>> know
>> it is a Vista conflict)
>>

> Go here, and descibe the settings that you have different from this
> example.
>
> http://www.support.dlink.com/emulato..._Wireless.html
>
> -Frank

Any chance you have done this on the Network settings?

-----------------
Local Domain Name
This entry is optional. Enter a domain name for the local network. Your LAN
computer will assume this domain name when it gets an address from the
router's built in DHCP server. So, for example, if you enter mynetwork.net
here, and you have a LAN side laptop with a name of chris, that laptop will
be known as chris.mynetwork.net. Note, however, the entered domain name can
be overridden by the one obtained from the router's upstream DHCP server.

I found this on the web:
http://lts.brandeis.edu/techresource...ess.html(right under "Connecting to Secure Wireless" click the Windows Vista link,it will scroll down to the tutorial, this site is a college telling you howto log onto their WPA2 Enterprise secure wireless network)it shows exactly what is happening to me. It (the Vista) thinks I have therouter security set to "WPA2 Enterprise" but I have the router set to WPAPersonal, WPA Only. My wife's XP with a Linksys adaptor works correctly,prompting for a simple passphrase."99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:0C9128B8-6233-4B47-B410-91ABD676907C@microsoft.com...Nope! local domain is blank. Even if it had something in it that stilldoesn't explain the "User Name", "Password" (not passphrase) would that be:Admin, My Password, leave domain blank?"Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in messagenews:McKdnSM5I4VPGHvUnZ2dnUVZ_hWdnZ2d@gigan ews.com..."99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:e4Q9TJevJHA.5684@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl. ..> Auto channel scan off, (set to channel 11)> channel width 20mhz (not Auto)> Security Mode WPA-Personal> WPA Only> 3600> PassphraseXXX>> (It works fine with encryption disabled)>> "Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message> news:nISdnTs1E42v23jUnZ2dnUVZ_qWdnZ2d@giganews.com ...>> "99XJ" <rnwrede@yahoo.com> wrote in message> news:4BA89315-1F79-4755-9CA9-EC82A2D7C761@microsoft.com...>> I'm re-posting this because it is only visible online at the MS website,>> not>> on NewsReaders so.... (I'll try again)...>>>> I just installed a D-Link DIR-625 router, before, we had a Linksys router>> with no issues whatsoever. (This is in secure WPA mode, there is no>> problem>> in "unsecure" mode) My sons PC has Vista installed. He has a D-Link>> wireless usb adaptor. Before, with the Linksys router, hookup was as>> would>> be expected, find the SSID, click, a prompt for passphrase, sweet.>>>> Now what happens is this... I right click the network icon in the taskbar>> and select "Connect to a network" a list of available networks shows.( as>> usual) I click our SSID and a different message appears than before,>> instead>> of getting the usual prompt for a simple passphrase, I get a "Windows>> needs>> more credentials to connect to this network", I click it and then a>> window>> appears prompting for...>>>> Username>> Password>> Domain pass>>>> this is not an option suitable for the usual WPA Personal encryption,>> first>> off there is no user name, no domain, its just WPA personal, TKIP,>> passphrase... what can I do? like I said it connects fine if no>> encryption>> is used. and it worked fine Lo these last 2 years with a Linksys WRT54G>>>> I'm not very familiar with Vista, I'm an XP man myself>>>> (I and my wife have XP, router installed on mine)>> (My wife has windows XP with a Linksys adaptor and it works fine so I>> know>> it is a Vista conflict)>>>>>> Go here, and descibe the settings that you have different from this> example.>> http://www.support.dlink.com/emulators/dir625/Basic_Wireless.html>> -Frank>>Any chance you have done this on the Network settings?-----------------Local Domain NameThis entry is optional. Enter a domain name for the local network. Your LANcomputer will assume this domain name when it gets an address from therouter's built in DHCP server. So, for example, if you enter mynetwork.nethere, and you have a LAN side laptop with a name of chris, that laptop willbe known as chris.mynetwork.net. Note, however, the entered domain name canbe overridden by the one obtained from the router's upstream DHCP server.----------------Frank

Frankster

Re: Wireless problem on Vista
I can't read your last post. The formatting is a shambles. But, did you say
you set WPA Enterprise?

According to the D-Link instructions...
The WPA-Enterprise option requires an external RADIUS server.

Do you have a Radius server?

-Frank