Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable

Wyrmul

Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable
I have a few laptops part of our domain. They are connected to a few network
printers and mapped to a few shares. When the laptops are connected to the
domain network they boot just fine. But when they are unconnected to the
network the time from power on to login screen triples. And the time from
login to functioning desktop also triples.

I am thinking that this is a timeout issue where windows is trying to
connect to shared resources that are unavailable. Is there ways to reduce
the timeout threshold for these services? If so where?
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable
it could be persistent mapping. To confirm it, logon network first. Run net
use * /d. Then restart the laptop without network. Does that boot or logon
faster? If this does, modify the mapping with /persistent:no. Please post
back with the result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"Wyrmul" <Wyrmul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a few laptops part of our domain. They are connected to a few
>network
> printers and mapped to a few shares. When the laptops are connected to
> the
> domain network they boot just fine. But when they are unconnected to the
> network the time from power on to login screen triples. And the time from
> login to functioning desktop also triples.
>
> I am thinking that this is a timeout issue where windows is trying to
> connect to shared resources that are unavailable. Is there ways to reduce
> the timeout threshold for these services? If so where?

Wyrmul

Re: Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable
Yes they are persistent mappings. If we unmap the drives and the printers
and restart off the network it works just fine. Except that the users then
have to manually remap the drives once they are again on the network. The
users are of limited sophistication and would like to avoid adding the step
of remapping the drives.

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> it could be persistent mapping. To confirm it, logon network first. Run net
> use * /d. Then restart the laptop without network. Does that boot or logon
> faster? If this does, modify the mapping with /persistent:no. Please post
> back with the result.
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "Wyrmul" <Wyrmul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a few laptops part of our domain. They are connected to a few
> >network
> > printers and mapped to a few shares. When the laptops are connected to
> > the
> > domain network they boot just fine. But when they are unconnected to the
> > network the time from power on to login screen triples. And the time from
> > login to functioning desktop also triples.
> >
> > I am thinking that this is a timeout issue where windows is trying to
> > connect to shared resources that are unavailable. Is there ways to reduce
> > the timeout threshold for these services? If so where?

Jack-MVP

Re: Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable
Hi
Try Static IPs, or IP reservation if the DHCP can do it.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> Yes they are persistent mappings. If we unmap the drives and the printers
> and restart off the network it works just fine. Except that the users
> then
> have to manually remap the drives once they are again on the network. The
> users are of limited sophistication and would like to avoid adding the
> step
> of remapping the drives.
>

> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> it could be persistent mapping. To confirm it, logon network first. Run
>> net
>> use * /d. Then restart the laptop without network. Does that boot or
>> logon
>> faster? If this does, modify the mapping with /persistent:no. Please post
>> back with the result.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Wyrmul" <Wyrmul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a few laptops part of our domain. They are connected to a few
>> >network
>> > printers and mapped to a few shares. When the laptops are connected to
>> > the
>> > domain network they boot just fine. But when they are unconnected to
>> > the
>> > network the time from power on to login screen triples. And the time
>> > from
>> > login to functioning desktop also triples.
>> >
>> > I am thinking that this is a timeout issue where windows is trying to
>> > connect to shared resources that are unavailable. Is there ways to
>> > reduce
>> > the timeout threshold for these services? If so where?

Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable
Do you use logon script? if not, you may try it.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com

"Wyrmul" <Wyrmul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes they are persistent mappings. If we unmap the drives and the printers
> and restart off the network it works just fine. Except that the users
> then
> have to manually remap the drives once they are again on the network. The
> users are of limited sophistication and would like to avoid adding the
> step
> of remapping the drives.
>

> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> it could be persistent mapping. To confirm it, logon network first. Run
>> net
>> use * /d. Then restart the laptop without network. Does that boot or
>> logon
>> faster? If this does, modify the mapping with /persistent:no. Please post
>> back with the result.
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "Wyrmul" <Wyrmul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a few laptops part of our domain. They are connected to a few
>> >network
>> > printers and mapped to a few shares. When the laptops are connected to
>> > the
>> > domain network they boot just fine. But when they are unconnected to
>> > the
>> > network the time from power on to login screen triples. And the time
>> > from
>> > login to functioning desktop also triples.
>> >
>> > I am thinking that this is a timeout issue where windows is trying to
>> > connect to shared resources that are unavailable. Is there ways to
>> > reduce
>> > the timeout threshold for these services? If so where?

Alan Biddle

Re: Stalling on boot when mapped drives inaccesable
Hi,

I came across this thread, which seems to explain what I am seeing,
though I am in a home environment.

I have a desktop with XP Pro SP3, a laptop with Vista Business SP2,
and a Linksys 54G router with my DSL. There is an external HD
attached to the desktop, not to the network directly, which I have
mapped and shared to be available to the laptop.

On the road, I get a delay of several minutes in the boot process. I
have been leaving the laptop in standby mode if practical, or just
doing something else while it boots. I expect that I will have to
deal with this using scripting, but wanted to ask if there might be a
way to adjust time timeout, as the OP asked. I have Googled the
static IP and reservations references in the replies, but the ones I
found all applied to servers.

--
Alan