Wireless not detecting wifi

ldb

Wireless not detecting wifi
I am using a windows Vista 32 bit home premium notebook computer for
which the wireless network detection has stopped working.

I updated the driver for the built in wireless card with out any
results.
I also tried a plug in wireless card which windows detected and said
was working properly and this did not work either. This leaves me to
believe that something is wrong with the OS.

I can get on the internet via dialup modem and also by the ethernet
connection with a DSL modem.

I have been to several hotspots that I know have wifi and no networks
show up.

When I click on the "Connect to" in the start menu, nothing happens. When I
click on "connect to a network" in control panel, I get an error loading
wizards message saying module not found.

The card is an Inrel pro wireless 3945ABG and IS turned on.

All critical windows updates have been installed.

Any ideas, this is not my computer so I do not have much history on
it. Thanks
ldb

Re: Wireless not detecting wifi

"Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Can you see the wireless NIC in the Device Manager? Also make sure the
> wireless switch is on. Or check this post:
>
> Wireless is not available because the wireless switch is off
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=5974
>
> --
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>

> "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using a windows Vista 32 bit home premium notebook computer for
> > which the wireless network detection has stopped working.
> >
> > I updated the driver for the built in wireless card with out any
> > results.
> > I also tried a plug in wireless card which windows detected and said
> > was working properly and this did not work either. This leaves me to
> > believe that something is wrong with the OS.
> >
> > I can get on the internet via dialup modem and also by the ethernet
> > connection with a DSL modem.
> >
> > I have been to several hotspots that I know have wifi and no networks
> > show up.
> >
> > When I click on the "Connect to" in the start menu, nothing happens. When
> > click on "connect to a network" in control panel, I get an error loading
> > wizards message saying module not found.
> >
> > The card is an Inrel pro wireless 3945ABG and IS turned on.
> >
> > All critical windows updates have been installed.
> >
> > Any ideas, this is not my computer so I do not have much history on
> > it. Thanks

Yes the device shows in device manager and it says it is working properly
and the card switch is turned on. In the advanced section of the device
properties are a number of configurations. The default is Ad hoc channel
803.11 b/g and the value is 11.

Jack-MVP

Re: Wireless not detecting wifi
Hi
Try to get rid of the all the Entries in the Wireless List.
http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist
Make sure that the Intel Wireless Utility is not loaded and running in
parallel to the Vista native utility.
Under Ad-Hoc the Wireless can not connect to regular Wireless Routers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

> "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Can you see the wireless NIC in the Device Manager? Also make sure the
>> wireless switch is on. Or check this post:
>>
>> Wireless is not available because the wireless switch is off
>> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=5974
>>
>> --
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>>

>> "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am using a windows Vista 32 bit home premium notebook computer for
>> > which the wireless network detection has stopped working.
>> >
>> > I updated the driver for the built in wireless card with out any
>> > results.
>> > I also tried a plug in wireless card which windows detected and said
>> > was working properly and this did not work either. This leaves me to
>> > believe that something is wrong with the OS.
>> >
>> > I can get on the internet via dialup modem and also by the ethernet
>> > connection with a DSL modem.
>> >
>> > I have been to several hotspots that I know have wifi and no networks
>> > show up.
>> >
>> > When I click on the "Connect to" in the start menu, nothing happens.
>> > When
>> > click on "connect to a network" in control panel, I get an error
>> > wizards message saying module not found.
>> >
>> > The card is an Inrel pro wireless 3945ABG and IS turned on.
>> >
>> > All critical windows updates have been installed.
>> >
>> > Any ideas, this is not my computer so I do not have much history on
>> > it. Thanks

> Yes the device shows in device manager and it says it is working properly
> and the card switch is turned on. In the advanced section of the device
> properties are a number of configurations. The default is Ad hoc channel
> 803.11 b/g and the value is 11.

ldb

Re: Wireless not detecting wifi
I will try getting rid of the device. I do not have the computer anymore as
I gave it back to the owner. I do not know if there is a Intel wireless
utility running in the background. The wireless with this computer used to
work, therefore it seems odd that an Intel wireless utility that was not
working in the past would suddenly start running. A router is not used with
this system. I just added the current configuration as I was not sure if it
had changed and if it was the correct one to use. Thanks

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

> Hi
> Try to get rid of the all the Entries in the Wireless List.
> http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist
> Make sure that the Intel Wireless Utility is not loaded and running in
> parallel to the Vista native utility.
> Under Ad-Hoc the Wireless can not connect to regular Wireless Routers.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Bob Lin (MS-MVP)" wrote:
> >
> >> Can you see the wireless NIC in the Device Manager? Also make sure the
> >> wireless switch is on. Or check this post:
> >>
> >> Wireless is not available because the wireless switch is off
> >> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=5974
> >>
> >> --
> >> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> >> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> >> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> >>

> >> "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Yes the device shows in device manager and it says it is working properly
> > and the card switch is turned on. In the advanced section of the device
> > properties are a number of configurations. The default is Ad hoc channel
> > 803.11 b/g and the value is 11.

ldb

Re: Wireless not detecting wifi
It is also really strange that installing a different plug in wireless
adapter for the first time where Vista recognized and installed the drivers
for and said was working properly would have the exact same problem.

"ldb" wrote:

> I will try getting rid of the device. I do not have the computer anymore as
> I gave it back to the owner. I do not know if there is a Intel wireless
> utility running in the background. The wireless with this computer used to
> work, therefore it seems odd that an Intel wireless utility that was not
> working in the past would suddenly start running. A router is not used with
> this system. I just added the current configuration as I was not sure if it
> had changed and if it was the correct one to use. Thanks
>
> "Jack-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Try to get rid of the all the Entries in the Wireless List.
> > http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist
> > Make sure that the Intel Wireless Utility is not loaded and running in
> > parallel to the Vista native utility.
> > Under Ad-Hoc the Wireless can not connect to regular Wireless Routers.
> > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
> >
> > "ldb" <ldb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Yes the device shows in device manager and it says it is working properly
> > > and the card switch is turned on. In the advanced section of the device
> > > properties are a number of configurations. The default is Ad hoc channel
> > > 803.11 b/g and the value is 11.

ldb

Re: Wireless not detecting wifi
I still do not have this computer to work on but when I do would like to try
the following. Remove the wireless NIC from device manager and let Vista
redetect it and install drivers even though I had already installed updated
drivers.

Reinstall the TCP/IP stack I used to do this on a Windows 98 machine. I
see that there are 2 stacks, version 4 and version 6. I think that version 6
is for the wireless. If I were to remove it and then reinstall it, would I
need a system disk for the reinstall? As I stated before, dial up and DSL
internet both work. Wireless with 2 different devices does not detect any
networks.

Isn't there an ipconfig command that releases and renews all of the
networks? I do not know the exact command.