Internet access for second computer on home network

James Bauer

Internet access for second computer on home network
I have two computers, one running XP and one Vista.

They were linked by a simple wired home network using a switch. Internet was
accessed via dial-up on the Vista machine.

I changed to cable (broadband), still on only the Vista machine and leaving
the wired network intact.

Next step was to install a Linksys wireless router WRT54G2 V1 and run the
broadband connection through it.

Then I took the home network cables from the switch and connected them to
the router. I am able to access files on each machine from the other
machine.

However, I do not have Internet access on the XP machine and am not sure
what I should be doing at this point.

Could anyone lead me to some documentation that would guide me please?

Many thanks..

Noel Paton

Re: Internet access for second computer on home network
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:16:41 -0700, "James Bauer" <jim.bauer@att.net>
wrote:

>I have two computers, one running XP and one Vista.
>
>They were linked by a simple wired home network using a switch. Internet was
>accessed via dial-up on the Vista machine.
>
>I changed to cable (broadband), still on only the Vista machine and leaving
>the wired network intact.
>
>Next step was to install a Linksys wireless router WRT54G2 V1 and run the
>broadband connection through it.
>
>Then I took the home network cables from the switch and connected them to
>the router. I am able to access files on each machine from the other
>machine.
>
>However, I do not have Internet access on the XP machine and am not sure
>what I should be doing at this point.
>
>Could anyone lead me to some documentation that would guide me please?
>
>Many thanks..

Sounds to me like you originally set the XP box to a fixed IP?
Got into Network Connections and set the connector to obatain an IP
address automatically

--
Noel Paton
www.crashfixpc.co.uk

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
Noel Paton

Re: Internet access for second computer on home network
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 23:39:51 +0100, Noel Paton
<noeldp/spamless/@crashfixpc.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 14:16:41 -0700, "James Bauer" <jim.bauer@att.net>
>wrote:
>
>>I have two computers, one running XP and one Vista.
>>
>>They were linked by a simple wired home network using a switch. Internet was
>>accessed via dial-up on the Vista machine.
>>
>>I changed to cable (broadband), still on only the Vista machine and leaving
>>the wired network intact.
>>
>>Next step was to install a Linksys wireless router WRT54G2 V1 and run the
>>broadband connection through it.
>>
>>Then I took the home network cables from the switch and connected them to
>>the router. I am able to access files on each machine from the other
>>machine.
>>
>>However, I do not have Internet access on the XP machine and am not sure
>>what I should be doing at this point.
>>
>>Could anyone lead me to some documentation that would guide me please?
>>
>>Many thanks..
>>

>Sounds to me like you originally set the XP box to a fixed IP?
>Got into Network Connections and set the connector to obatain an IP
>address automatically

Just to close this out....I've had an email from the OP saying that
the above solution worked