HELP!:how to transfer files between password protected computers

Vistaluver

HELP!:how to transfer files between password protected computers

Can anyone help?

I have a "Lenovo SL500" thinkpad laptop, Running Vista Business 32bit.
And a costum built Desktop PC running Vista Ultimate. Both password
protected, but with the same password.

I would like to transfer files vire the network. Now this wouldn't be a
problem if the
Reciving computer was not password protected. All I would do is open
"Network" located in the start menu and then do the folowing
"\Network\<Reciving computer name>\<Location wanted>".
To find computers name: open start menu, right click on "computer" and
press "properties"

But because the reciving computer is password protected I can only see
"Printers"

I need security so I cannot remove passwords OR open my computer up for
file sharing!

The only other options I have got are:
Bluetooth: This Ok but is slow and you are needed on both computers for
accepting, entering passes etc. (I would preferrer not to!)
Server: We have a Server but this means uploading to the server(could
take ages), Then Downloading the server(thats double the time). (Again I
would preferrer not to!)
Memory sticks: Basically a simaller problem to the server! (Once again
I would preferrer not to!)

So basically what I am asking is: Does anyone know an
application/progam that deals with network file sharing (That will do
what I am asking for) Or a hidden option in vista to allow this Or
something?
If you do please reply with your answer!

--
Vistaluver
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: HELP!:how to transfer files between password protected computers
Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Vistaluver" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone help?
>
> I have a "Lenovo SL500" thinkpad laptop, Running Vista Business 32bit.
> And a costum built Desktop PC running Vista Ultimate. Both password
> protected, but with the same password.
>
> I would like to transfer files vire the network. Now this wouldn't be a
> problem if the
> Reciving computer was not password protected. All I would do is open
> "Network" located in the start menu and then do the folowing
> "\Network\<Reciving computer name>\<Location wanted>".
> To find computers name: open start menu, right click on "computer" and
> press "properties"
>
> But because the reciving computer is password protected I can only see
> "Printers"
>
> I need security so I cannot remove passwords OR open my computer up for
> file sharing!
>
> The only other options I have got are:
> Bluetooth: This Ok but is slow and you are needed on both computers for
> accepting, entering passes etc. (I would preferrer not to!)
> Server: We have a Server but this means uploading to the server(could
> take ages), Then Downloading the server(thats double the time). (Again I
> would preferrer not to!)
> Memory sticks: Basically a simaller problem to the server! (Once again
> I would preferrer not to!)
>
> So basically what I am asking is: Does anyone know an
> application/progam that deals with network file sharing (That will do
> what I am asking for) Or a hidden option in vista to allow this Or
> something?
> If you do please reply with your answer!
>

> --
> Vistaluver

Malke

Vistaluver wrote:

> Can anyone help?
>
> I have a "Lenovo SL500" thinkpad laptop, Running Vista Business 32bit.
> And a costum built Desktop PC running Vista Ultimate. Both password
> protected, but with the same password.
>
> I would like to transfer files vire the network. Now this wouldn't be a
> problem if the
> Reciving computer was not password protected. All I would do is open
> "Network" located in the start menu and then do the folowing
> "\Network\<Reciving computer name>\<Location wanted>".
> To find computers name: open start menu, right click on "computer" and
> press "properties"
>
> But because the reciving computer is password protected I can only see
> "Printers"

(snippage)

Your assessment of why you can't transfer files between the computers is
faulty. You haven't got file/printer sharing set up correctly.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a third-party firewall
or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then
you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third
party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure
its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

D. Create shares as desired. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Vistaluver

Re: HELP!:how to transfer files between password protected computers

all though this

--
Vistaluver
Vistaluver

Re: HELP!:how to transfer files between password protected computers

problem sloved make a folder to but the files you want to share in (I
called it "Sharing folder") then drag'n'drop the files you want share
into the folder. Next right click on the folder and press share. enter
the usere name of the computer you want to add then press add, set the
permissions up by looking in the drop down menu finnally press share. on
your reciving computer go into "network" and go into your computer that
sent the file, the folder you set to share will now appear, FINISHED!
AND IT ALL INCLUDDED IN THE WINDOWS OPEARATING SYSTEM

--
Vistaluver