Name resolution in Vista

SuperK

Name resolution in Vista
Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for name
resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios on
the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
allowing me to ping by machine name?

Andrew Rossmann

Re: Name resolution in Vista
In article <#g4b33xuJHA.1504@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, msnews08
@nospam.nospam says...
> Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for name
> resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
> With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios on
> the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
> allowing me to ping by machine name?

Most computers will be running the 'Computer Browser' service. One
computer will become a 'master' (there is a form of election for this)
and the others use that to store IP-to-name info.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188001

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
Bob Lin \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Name resolution in Vista
For P2P network, you may want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net

"SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for
> name
> resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
> With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios on
> the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
> allowing me to ping by machine name?

Frankster

Re: Name resolution in Vista

"SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for
> name
> resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
> With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios on
> the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
> allowing me to ping by machine name?

NetBIOS allows you to ping by machine name.

You can edit the hosts file to achieve name resolution.

-Frank

SuperK

Re: Name resolution in Vista

"Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
news:NJednWpIf8TqkX_UnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@giganews.com ...

> "SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for
> > name
> > resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
> > With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios

on
> > the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
> > allowing me to ping by machine name?
> >

> NetBIOS allows you to ping by machine name.
>
> You can edit the hosts file to achieve name resolution.
>
> -Frank

But NetBios is no longer installed, supported in Vista and XP. It appears to
be severely frowned upon by IT people.

Are you saying install it anyway?

Michael Walraven

Re: Name resolution in Vista
By default, a Vista machine will use NETBIOS if necessary, it is a part of
tcp/ip V4.

View the status of your TCP/IP connection
Select the properties button
Select the Internet Protocol Version 4 item and select properties again.
Select the Advanced button
Now the WINS tab
Look down in NetBios setting area for your current settings.

As I understand it, you do not need NETBIOS for XP (SP3), or Vista (SP1)
machines, but it does come into play if there is a 98/SE/ME machine involved
or some older device that does not have newer protocols available.

To play around you could force disable NetBIOS and see what happens,

Michael

> "Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> news:NJednWpIf8TqkX_UnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>>
>> "SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for
>> > name
>> > resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
>> > With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios

> on
>> > the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
>> > allowing me to ping by machine name?
>> >

>> NetBIOS allows you to ping by machine name.
>>
>> You can edit the hosts file to achieve name resolution.
>>
>> -Frank
>>

> But NetBios is no longer installed, supported in Vista and XP. It appears
> be severely frowned upon by IT people.
>
> Are you saying install it anyway?

Michael Walraven

Re: Name resolution in Vista
I would phrase it a little differently. If you enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in
VISTA, then the VISTA TCP/IP protocol stack will interact with machines that
are running NetBIOS and as part of that interaction can resolve names. As
far as I know there is no separate NetBIOS protocol available to install in
VISTA.

For VISTA this all comes under the general term 'network discovery'.
Depending on your level of curiosity searching Help and Google for 'Network
Discovery' can probably provide much more information that you actually want
(unless you are trying to develop your own box/protocol to cooperate with
VISTA and make sure that you can be 'discovered').

Michael

> [...]

> machines, but it does come into play if there is a 98/SE/ME machine

involved
> or some older device that does not have newer protocols available.
>
> To play around you could force disable NetBIOS and see what happens,
>
> Michael
>

> "SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> >
> > "Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> > news:NJednWpIf8TqkX_UnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> >>
> >> "SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message

for

Netbios
> > on

is

> >> NetBIOS allows you to ping by machine name.
> >>
> >> You can edit the hosts file to achieve name resolution.
> >>
> >> -Frank
> >>

> > But NetBios is no longer installed, supported in Vista and XP. It

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Name resolution in Vista
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:19:18 -0600, "SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>"Frankster" <frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>news:NJednWpIf8TqkX_UnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@giganews.co m...
>>
>> "SuperK" <msnews08@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
>> > Can anyone tell me exactly what Vista (and XP for that matter) uses for
>> > name
>> > resolution when on a small p2p workgroup?
>> > With no domain or server running DNS and no longer able to run Netbios

>on
>> > the pc. With IP installed I can ping by IP address but what exactly is
>> > allowing me to ping by machine name?
>> >

>> NetBIOS allows you to ping by machine name.
>>
>> You can edit the hosts file to achieve name resolution.
>>
>> -Frank
>>

>But NetBios is no longer installed, supported in Vista and XP. It appears to
>be severely frowned upon by IT people.
>
>Are you saying install it anyway?

NetBEUI is no longer supported. NetBEUI !== NetBT.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...alternate.html

NetBIOS Over TCP is still a viable, and important, "protocol", in Vista. NetBT
provides name resolution for peer to peer networks, resource enumeration (aka
"browsing"), and file sharing.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...ing-using.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]