Problems With Vista File Sharing

SCADAczar is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Problems With Vista File Sharing
I realize I'm new here but I am experiencing a problem with Vista Home Premium and my home WiFi network that I am desperate to resolve. My network consists of two new Dell Studio 1537 laptops running Vista SP1, one MSI brand laptop running XP Home SP3, a Buffalo Linkstation Pro NAS drive and a D-Link, DI-624 G spec WiFI router. Prior to purchasing the Dell laptops I used the Linkstation NAS drive to store picture and document files for easy access from our computers. My problem is with the two Dell Vista machines. When I try to write to the NAS drive from a Vista laptop, the files do indeed get written correctly but Windows Explorer hangs up on the “Calculating Time Remaining” dialog. This dialog box cannot be dismissed with either the Cancel button or with Task Manager. The only way I can get out of this situation is to power off my laptop with the power button. When I reboot my laptop I can browse my NAS drive and see the file I transferred is there. I experience this problem with both of my Dell Studio 1537s running Vista SP1. My remaining XP laptop can transfer files to the NAS with no problems.

At first I thought it was a problem with the NAS but I worked with Buffalo’s tech support and we flashed the latest BIOS to it but that did not solve the problem. I then tested whether I could transfer files from one Vista laptop to the other Vista laptop. I shared up the Public folder on the second Studio 1537 and when I tried to transfer a file to the shared folder over WiFi, I encountered the same problem. The file did get transferred but my laptop hung up on the “Calculating Time Remaining” dialog box.

I have done a couple of things in an effort to solve this problem myself. First I used msconfig to prevent all third party software from starting on boot up. I clicked on the button to hide all Microsoft services and then I disabled all others. I rebooted my laptop and navigated to my folders on the NAS using Windows Explorer. I copied a small 1.8MB file from my local drive to the NAS and I encountered the same problem as noted above. I used msconfig to reset my system to normal and next I rebooted my Vista laptop into “Safe Mode with Networking.” I repeated the same steps and I found that I could transfer files to the NAS with no problem whatsoever. No matter the file size. At least this proved to me that my WiFi network was working as it should but it seems as if the problem is Windows Vista related.

In an effort to learn more, I Googled the phrase “Calculating Time Remaining” and discovered that I am not the first to experience this problem. I found Microsoft KnowledgeBase article #931770 which seems to describe my exact problem. However, in the article Microsoft says the hotfix for this was included in Vista SP1 which my laptop came with. I have tried a number of fixes suggested by people such as disabling Windows features like the Indexing Service, Search Service and DFS Replication Service with some success but no permanent resolution. I found that after turning these features off I was able to transfer files of varying sizes between 1.8MB and 111MB from my Vista laptop to the NAS with success about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. The rest of the time I continue to encounter the same problem with the dialog box hanging up my system.

I realize that this is a long winded explanation but my frustration level with this problem is very high and I’m desperate for a resolution so I can use my WiFi network and NAS as it should be able to be used. I am hoping someone can help resolve this issue for me before I pull out all my hair.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by SCADAczar : 04-11-2009 at 15:22.
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Problems With Vista File Sharing
Hi
From my perspective the solution is different.
Almost all the standalone NAS' pose problems when use with Windows OS'
Networks.
The main reason is the make of the NAS's OS' (firmware) and the formatting
of the Hard Drives that is Not NTFS.
Most sun $500 NAS' provide fraction of the transfer Bandwidth that their
Hardware is technically rated with.
Given the price structure of related hardware, many enthusiasts prefer to
use an old computer (can be any thing P-III 1GHz and above) loaded with any
inexpensive Windows Client OS (Win2000 and above, or any spare lic.., that
one have).
Best current solution is using a computer with Intel ATOM core (very low
energy consumption) running Windows Home Server.
A 1TB solution might cost the same of a little more than stand alone NAS.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"SCADAczar" <SCADAczar.3qhg03@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> hotfix for this was included in vista sp1 which my laptop came with. i
> have tried a number of fixes suggested by people such as disabling
> windows features like the indexing service, search service and dfs
> replication service with some success but no permanent resolution. i
> found that after turning these features off i was able to transfer files
> of varying sizes between 1.8mb and 111mb from my vista laptop to the nas
> with success about 1/3 to 1/2 the time. the rest of the time i continue
> to encounter the same problem with the dialog box hanging up my system.
>
> i realize that this is a long winded explanation but my frustration
> level with this problem is very high and i’m desperate for a resolution
> so i can use my wifi network and nas as it should be able to be used. i
> am hoping someone can help resolve this issue for me before i pull out

Jack, thanks for your reply and I appreciate your suggestion. However my problem is not just with the Buffalo NAS but I also encounter the "Calculating Time Remaining" dialog box when I copy from my Vista laptop to shared folders on either my other Vista laptop or the XP laptop. AS I mentioned earlier, the files actually do get written to the target destination in a reasonable amount of time but Windows Explorer on my Vista machines hang up on this dialog box and it won't go away.
I do have one item I didn't mention in my earlier post. When I upgraded to BIOS in the NAS all my files and folders accidentalyy got erased. I noticed that when the NAS was empty that my Vista machines had no problems transferring files at all. Only when I copied my files back to the NAS does Vista hang up. In fact I had to use my XP laptop to restore all the files because Vista would hang up. There's only about 1GB of files but there are a lot of files in the form of jpgs and docs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack [MVP-Networking] View Post
Hi
From my perspective the solution is different.