Can't Browse With Any Browser

Jack

Can't Browse With Any Browser
My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf using
IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have disabled the
firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I did the "netsh
winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have reset my router with
no change.

I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within the
command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the command
window, but can't reach them with either browser.

He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a solution.
Can the group recommend some options for me to try?

He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line between
his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless Card and
the Internet.

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Vista or Vista SP1?

Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update, is Automatic Updates
enabled, and can you run Windows Update manually?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is the
in the background when IE8 was installed?

Sure sounds like a hijackware infection to me, Jack.

Jack wrote:
> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf
> using
> IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have disabled the
> firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I did the "netsh
> winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have reset my router
> with
> no change.
>
> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within
> the
> command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the command
> window, but can't reach them with either browser.
>
> He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a solution.
> Can the group recommend some options for me to try?
>
> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line
> between
> his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless Card and
> the Internet.

Jack

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Robert, he has Bitdefender 2009, no anti-spyware other than CCleaner. No
previous Norton applications ever loaded and he's not running any 3rd party
firewall programs. I thought I would install spybot from my office PC, but
spybot tries to go out to the Internet and download several files before it
completes its installation. Which means I'll never get a full installation.
Yes the computer was fully patched as of yesterday and it appears that an
update of Bitdefender occurred this morning. So it had to get out to the
internet to do that. I have disabled Bitdefender, tried to launch IE 8, but
have the same problem. I have not removed Bitdefender.

Are there any malware programs that don't require an internet update before
finishing?

> Vista or Vista SP1?
>
> Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update, is Automatic Updates
> enabled, and can you run Windows Update manually?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is the
> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when IE8 was installed?

> Sure sounds like a hijackware infection to me, Jack.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Jack wrote:
>> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf
>> using
>> IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have disabled the
>> firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I did the "netsh
>> winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have reset my router
>> with
>> no change.
>>
>> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within
>> the
>> command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the command
>> window, but can't reach them with either browser.
>>
>> He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a
>> solution.
>> Can the group recommend some options for me to try?
>>
>> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
>> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line
>> between
>> his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless Card and
>> the Internet.

Bob B

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
try safe mode with networking enabled !!

"Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
news:mJedndRoefHgTELUnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf
> using IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have
> disabled the firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I
> did the "netsh winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have
> reset my router with no change.
>
> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within
> the command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the
> command window, but can't reach them with either browser.
>
> He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a solution.
> Can the group recommend some options for me to try?
>
> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line
> between his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless
> Card and the Internet.

Jack

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Will Do. I'll report back.

"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> try safe mode with networking enabled !!
>
> "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
> news:mJedndRoefHgTELUnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf
>> using IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have
>> disabled the firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I
>> did the "netsh winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have
>> reset my router with no change.
>>
>> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within
>> the command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the
>> command window, but can't reach them with either browser.
>>
>> He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a
>> solution. Can the group recommend some options for me to try?
>>
>> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
>> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line
>> between his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless
>> Card and the Internet.

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Repost:
>> Vista or Vista SP1?

Althought it may not be working properly, you do NOT want to disable
BitDefender nor should the machine be connected to the internet or any
networks without a (i.e., only one) firewall enabled!

When was IE8 installed, before or after the problem started? If after, was
the BitDefender application running in the background when IE8 was
installed? Had BitDefender confirmed that your version of the application
is supported in IE8?

Is it BitDefender Anti-Virus 2009 or BitDefender Internet Security? If the
latter, is the BitDefender firewall enabled? If it is, is the Windows
Firewall or another third-party firewall (e.g., ZoneAlarm) also enabled?

When (date) was the BitDefender application installed? Is it a free-trial
version or was it purchased? If the latter, when does the subscription
expire?

The above notwithstanding, there is a very good chance that you are seeing
the affects of a hijackware infection which may have been present on the
machine for a while despite that fact that you're only seeing its affects
now.

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!

2. WinXP ONLY!! => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jack wrote:
> Robert, he has Bitdefender 2009, no anti-spyware other than CCleaner. No
> previous Norton applications ever loaded and he's not running any 3rd
> party
> firewall programs. I thought I would install spybot from my office PC, but
> spybot tries to go out to the Internet and download several files before
> it
> completes its installation. Which means I'll never get a full
> installation.
> Yes the computer was fully patched as of yesterday and it appears that an
> update of Bitdefender occurred this morning. So it had to get out to the
> internet to do that. I have disabled Bitdefender, tried to launch IE 8,
> but
> have the same problem. I have not removed Bitdefender.
>
> Are there any malware programs that don't require an internet update
> before
> finishing?
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Vista or Vista SP1?
>>
>> Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update, is Automatic Updates
>> enabled, and can you run Windows Update manually?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is the
>> applications running in the background when IE8 was installed?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Sure sounds like a hijackware infection to me, Jack.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Jack wrote:
>>> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf
>>> using
>>> IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have disabled
>>> the
>>> firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I did the
>>> "netsh
>>> winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have reset my router
>>> with
>>> no change.
>>>
>>> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within
>>> the
>>> command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the
>>> command
>>> window, but can't reach them with either browser.
>>>
>>> He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a
>>> solution.
>>> Can the group recommend some options for me to try?
>>>
>>> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
>>> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line
>>> between
>>> his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless Card
>>> and
>>> the Internet.

Jack

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Same results with Safe Mode with Networking Enabled. No Browsing.

"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> try safe mode with networking enabled !!
>
> "Jack" <wussery@rcn.com> wrote in message
> news:mJedndRoefHgTELUnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf
>> using IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have
>> disabled the firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I
>> did the "netsh winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have
>> reset my router with no change.
>>
>> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within
>> the command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, google.com within the
>> command window, but can't reach them with either browser.
>>
>> He did not have System Restore enabled, so I can't use that as a
>> solution. Can the group recommend some options for me to try?
>>
>> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
>> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line
>> between his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless
>> Card and the Internet.

Jack

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Robear, He just has the Anti Virus version of Bitdefender. It is a paid
version that has been on his machine for over six months. IE 8 was loaded
last week and Bitdefender was running at the time of installation.He was
using IE 7 before this. An old version of Firefox was downloaded from my
Office PC to his.

Thanks for the links and suggestions below. If I can't get a malware program
to recognize the problem, then I am going to have him use his System Restore
Disc and rebuild. I don't want to do this, but I would feel better from a
network security standpoint.

> [...]

>> have the same problem. I have not removed Bitdefender.
>>
>> Are there any malware programs that don't require an internet update
>> before
>> finishing?
>>

>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Vista or Vista SP1?
>>>
>>> Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update, is Automatic Updates
>>> enabled, and can you run Windows Update manually?
>>>
>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is the
>>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
>>> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
>>> applications running in the background when IE8 was installed?
>>>
>>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
>>>
>>> Sure sounds like a hijackware infection to me, Jack.

Michael Mol

On Apr 10, 7:08*pm, "Jack" <wuss...@rcn.com> wrote:
> My Son's computer was working yesterday and this morning he can't surf using
> IE 8 or Firefox. It appears Port 80 is being blocked. I have disabled the
> firewall temporarily and this did not resolve the issue. I did the "netsh
> winsock reset" and this did not fix the problem. I have reset my router with
> no change.
>
> I am able to ping the DNS, the Default router and his IP address within the
> command window. I can also ping yahoo.com, *google.com within the command
> window, but can't reach them with either browser.

Your router almost certainly has an HTTP server built in. Can his
browser connect to that?

Also, check his HOSTS file, in case virtually all traffic is being
redirected to, i.e. localhost; It could be as simple as a prank by one
of his friends. If you ping google.com, what IP address do you see?

> He is using Vista Home Premium, and a wireless card. I can also see ALL
> GREEN when I open up the Network Sharing tool. There is a green line between
> his IP and the Wireless Card and green line between the Wireless Card and
> the Internet.

I'd suggest getting on another machine and try watching the network
traffic with Wireshark, but if you're not familiar with networking
protocols, it's not going to be worth the hassle.

Re: Can't Browse With Any Browser
Before doing anything else, Jack, disable BitDefender AV and any
anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), then uninstall IE8, reboot
twice, and see if the behavior persists.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

['Tis a pity System Restore was disabled: If uninstalling IE8 didn't help,
using a Restore Point predating its install would have been the next step.]

If all is well: Before attempting to reinstall IE8 with BitDefender
disabled, contact BitDefender Support and confirm that your son's version if
supported in IE8. (Many AV apps are not at this point.)