TraceRt

Patrick Whittle

TraceRt
Hi,

I randomly chose the domain below to find out my ISP's external IP address. We want to be able to have someone in Illinios connect to a desktop computer in my basement. The IP address first on the list is the internet address my router uses: 192.168.0.1

C:\Users\patrick>traceRt microsoft.com

Tracing route to microsoft.com [207.46.197.32] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
2 7 ms 7 ms 8 ms 10.89.0.1
3 14 ms 13 ms 12 ms d226-4-133.home.cgocable.net [24.226.4.133]
4 26 ms 27 ms 26 ms ra1ec-pos8-1.il.bigpipeinc.com [64.141.24.9]
5 26 ms 27 ms 27 ms rd1ec-ge6-0-0.il.shawcable.net [66.163.65.21]
6 39 ms 40 ms 39 ms rc2hu-ge2-0-0.ny.shawcable.net [66.163.76.237]
.... snip ...

I am assuming that my provider has 24.226.4.133 setup excluisivly for all people across the province of Ontario. Probably, the city I am in will have the following as the address of my house. I have two computers at my house, both connected to the Internert.

d226-4-133.home.cgocable.net

Why doesn't a URL like this work: http://d226-4-133.home.cgocable.net/8080

.... when I have the IIS service running on my home computer?

Olivier

Re: TraceRt
Patrick,

It doesn't work like that,

something like this below should give you your external IP
http://www.whatismyip.com/

Regards
--
Olivier C
Patrick Whittle

Re: TraceRt
Thanks. I have full security on my LAN (Norton 360) so I'm going to tell my
Illinois friend to connect. What is better, Routing and Remote Access, or
Terminal Services?

"Olivier" <olivier@discuss.microsoft> wrote in message
> Patrick,
>
> It doesn't work like that,
>
> something like this below should give you your external IP
> http://www.whatismyip.com/
>
> Regards
> --
> Olivier C

Olivier

Re: TraceRt
Patrick,

> Thanks. I have full security on my LAN (Norton 360) so I'm going to tell
> my
> Illinois friend to connect. What is better, Routing and Remote Access, or
> Terminal Services?

Well, in fact it depends on what you want to do: HTTP server with IIS or
Desktop sharing or something else...
One detail, tough, you told us that your local network was made of two
computers and a router...
Your router have only one external IP address (given by your ISP) and one
local IP (192.168.0.1) this means that you'll need to redirect the traffic
that comes from the external IP to the IP of the computer you're willing to
share (NAT forwarding) or redirect the traffic that comes from your external
IP at a specific port on an Internal IP (one of your computer) and specific
port (PAT forwarding).
An alternative is to set your router DMZ IP to your computer, but this will
redirect the whole external traffic on your computer and may be something
dangerous if you don't fully understand what it means.
Anyway, this has to be configured in your router, if it allows that...
Once it is done/configured properly on your router, you may need to open the
specific port(s) in your Norton360 firewall.

BTW: I don't know what your cgocable router is able to do, I do not use
those routers nor I do know cgocable ISP (I'm living in France).

Regards

--
Olivier C, France

Patrick Whittle

Re: TraceRt
I want to give Remote Desktop to a person in Illinios, using 2003 Server
(Terminal svcs) and LLTP. IIS service is not running on the server.
TCP/IP port 3389 has been setup on the router. Thanks.

> Patrick,
>
>> Thanks. I have full security on my LAN (Norton 360) so I'm going to tell
>> my
>> Illinois friend to connect. What is better, Routing and Remote Access,
>> or
>> Terminal Services?

> Well, in fact it depends on what you want to do: HTTP server with IIS or
> Desktop sharing or something else...
> One detail, tough, you told us that your local network was made of two
> computers and a router...
> Your router have only one external IP address (given by your ISP) and one
> local IP (192.168.0.1) this means that you'll need to redirect the traffic
> that comes from the external IP to the IP of the computer you're willing
> to share (NAT forwarding) or redirect the traffic that comes from your
> external IP at a specific port on an Internal IP (one of your computer)
> and specific port (PAT forwarding).
> An alternative is to set your router DMZ IP to your computer, but this
> will redirect the whole external traffic on your computer and may be
> something dangerous if you don't fully understand what it means.
> Anyway, this has to be configured in your router, if it allows that...
> Once it is done/configured properly on your router, you may need to open
> the specific port(s) in your Norton360 firewall.
>
> BTW: I don't know what your cgocable router is able to do, I do not use
> those routers nor I do know cgocable ISP (I'm living in France).
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Olivier C, France

Charlie Tame

Re: TraceRt
Patrick Whittle wrote:
> I want to give Remote Desktop to a person in Illinios, using 2003 Server
> (Terminal svcs) and LLTP. IIS service is not running on the server.
> TCP/IP port 3389 has been setup on the router. Thanks.
>
> "Olivier" <olivier@discuss.microsoft> wrote in message
>> Patrick,
>>
>>> Thanks. I have full security on my LAN (Norton 360) so I'm going to
>>> tell my
>>> Illinois friend to connect. What is better, Routing and Remote
>>> Access, or
>>> Terminal Services?

>> Well, in fact it depends on what you want to do: HTTP server with IIS
>> or Desktop sharing or something else...
>> One detail, tough, you told us that your local network was made of two
>> computers and a router...
>> Your router have only one external IP address (given by your ISP) and
>> one local IP (192.168.0.1) this means that you'll need to redirect the
>> traffic that comes from the external IP to the IP of the computer
>> you're willing to share (NAT forwarding) or redirect the traffic that
>> comes from your external IP at a specific port on an Internal IP (one
>> of your computer) and specific port (PAT forwarding).
>> An alternative is to set your router DMZ IP to your computer, but this
>> will redirect the whole external traffic on your computer and may be
>> something dangerous if you don't fully understand what it means.
>> Anyway, this has to be configured in your router, if it allows that...
>> Once it is done/configured properly on your router, you may need to
>> open the specific port(s) in your Norton360 firewall.
>>
>> BTW: I don't know what your cgocable router is able to do, I do not
>> use those routers nor I do know cgocable ISP (I'm living in France).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> Olivier C, France

Okay, your router has given your two PCs in the basement an address,
unless you set them manually. OPen a CMD prompt (Type CMD or whatever)
and do IPCONFIG / all in the prompt window and do that on both. You
router has 192.168.0.1 and forward the port to the IP you want your
friend to be able to use. He can then simply use Remote Desktop
connection together with your public IP address to connect, however this
will likely kick you off the machine.

There is another free solution though which allows you to share the screen.

http://www.tightvnc.com/ is something you both download and you install
it as a service on yours machine. You could put this in the other
machine so your friend could see both with minimal trouble. He would
install the same package but only need the "Viewer" and may not want to
install the "Service". You would still have to forward a port on the
router, it will tell you which when it installs.