Is wired and wireless connections handled differently by Vista?

Martin

Is wired and wireless connections handled differently by Vista?
I really hope someone can help me with this because I just can't figure it out:

I use a Network Area Storage device (Synology 106) in my home network. The
problem is I can not connect to it in anyway through wlan on my Vista laptop.
When wired everything works as it should but when wireless I can neither
reach the web interface of the NAS nor connect to any shares on it. How can
it be that it only works when I plug the network cable in when I am using the
exact same settings wireless. Note the wireless adapter i functional and I
have access to internet. It is just access to my NAS that is not working.
Whith an older XP laptop everything works fine both wired and wireless so it
is clearly Vista related.

Have I overlooked something in how Vista handles different connections?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Is wired and wireless connections handled differently by Vista?
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 14:08:05 -0700, Martin <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I really hope someone can help me with this because I just can't figure it out:
>
>I use a Network Area Storage device (Synology 106) in my home network. The
>problem is I can not connect to it in anyway through wlan on my Vista laptop.
>When wired everything works as it should but when wireless I can neither
>reach the web interface of the NAS nor connect to any shares on it. How can
>it be that it only works when I plug the network cable in when I am using the
>exact same settings wireless. Note the wireless adapter i functional and I
>have access to internet. It is just access to my NAS that is not working.
>Whith an older XP laptop everything works fine both wired and wireless so it
>is clearly Vista related.
>
>Have I overlooked something in how Vista handles different connections?

Let's look at logs from "ipconfig /all" for the Vista and XP laptops, two logs
each - one when connected by Ethernet, the other when connected by WiFi.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...iagnosing.html

Note the vagaries of the Command window under Vista!

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...nd-window.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
Michael Walraven

Re: Is wired and wireless connections handled differently by Vista?
Your wireless connection may be of type 'Public Network', that is it thinks
it is connected at a McDonalds for instance. In that case the sharing stuff
is limited to protect your computer.

In Network and Sharing Center, when using the wireless connection, check the
Network connection. You want it to say
"<picture> <name of network> (Private network), if it says public, then
click on the Customize button to change to private.

I have Vista Home premium but only wired connection so I cannot demonstrate
problem on my machine.

Michael

"Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I really hope someone can help me with this because I just can't figure it
> out:
>
> I use a Network Area Storage device (Synology 106) in my home network. The
> problem is I can not connect to it in anyway through wlan on my Vista
> laptop.
> When wired everything works as it should but when wireless I can neither
> reach the web interface of the NAS nor connect to any shares on it. How
> can
> it be that it only works when I plug the network cable in when I am using
> the
> exact same settings wireless. Note the wireless adapter i functional and I
> have access to internet. It is just access to my NAS that is not working.
> Whith an older XP laptop everything works fine both wired and wireless so
> it
> is clearly Vista related.
>
> Have I overlooked something in how Vista handles different connections?

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Is wired and wireless connections handled differently by Vista?
Hi
Should Not be a general issue of Vista. I have few setting like this and
there is No systemic problem.
Are they both configured as Private Network?
Did you try to disable the Wire connection when you use the Wireless
connection.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)