Network card light no blinking and no internet

adzul01

Network card light no blinking and no internet

I am using vista ultimate. I can't access the internet since the onboard
LAN was hit by lightning (this is my guess). I bought a D Link PCI NIC
card and put it in pci slot 1 but still can't access the internet.
there was not blinking light at all. Thought that this might be due to
external modem problem. hooked up my laptop to the modem and can access
the internet. So, modem is in good shape. I bought a second NIC by
realtek and put it in the 2nd pci slot. Put it in, install the driver
and connect the cable but still no light. Tried to disable it and enable
it many times, no solution. when I checked the device manager, these
two NICs are working properly. can somebody tell me what to do? thanks
for your help...

--
adzul01
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Network card light no blinking and no internet
Hi
From he what you describe it seems that there is more hardware problem with
the computer than just the LAN card.
However you can try to take out the two LAN cards, if there is Onboard card
switch it Off in the BIOS. Boot the computer with out any LAN card, look at
the Device Manger and clean any residual LAN related installation (if any).
Switch off the computer insert only one of the new cards, reboot and install
the drivers.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"adzul01" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am using vista ultimate. I can't access the internet since the onboard
> LAN was hit by lightning (this is my guess). I bought a D Link PCI NIC
> card and put it in pci slot 1 but still can't access the internet.
> there was not blinking light at all. Thought that this might be due to
> external modem problem. hooked up my laptop to the modem and can access
> the internet. So, modem is in good shape. I bought a second NIC by
> realtek and put it in the 2nd pci slot. Put it in, install the driver
> and connect the cable but still no light. Tried to disable it and enable
> it many times, no solution. when I checked the device manager, these
> two NICs are working properly. can somebody tell me what to do? thanks
> for your help...
>

> --
> adzul01

westom

On Apr 6, 2:49*am, adzul01 <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> .... I can't access the internet since the onboard ... I bought a D Link PCI
> NIC card and put it in pci slot 1 *but still can't access the internet.there
> was not blinking light at all. *Thought that this might be due to external
> modem problem. *hooked up my laptop to the modem and can access
> the internet. So, modem is in good shape.

First, that is why better computer manufacturers provide comprehensive
hardware diagnostics for free. Simple test may have identified the
detect a first time ... without any complications also from Windows.

Second, the new NIC should also have diagnostics from the
manufacturer. Does the NIC work in that computer? Diagnostics loads
without any Windows complications and answers definitively.

Now, NIC diagnostic first talk between the motherboard CPU and NIC
computer. Then the final test is for the NIC to talk out to other
hardware.

Third, of course you removed drivers for all uninstalled NICs before
installing the new NIC? Just another complication from Windows that
would be easier to find if the hardware was first tested with its
diagnostic.