Internet only Connects in Safe Mode with Networking

Quinciloo

Internet only Connects in Safe Mode with Networking

I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 running Windows Vista Home Premium, bought
a week ago. It has had Internet issues from the moment I got it
running. If I do a continual Ping test, when it's working I get a
correct reply from 192.168.0.56. I get no more than about 20-30
successful pings at max, usually much less. Then suddenly it will Ping
from 96.42.0.135, and then usually time out (even if it doesn't time
out, I lose the connection temporarily). I called Dell Support and
paid a one-time service and they seemed to fix it...although I'm not
sure what he did. 24 hours later, it started happening again. Another
subsequent call and he had me reset everything to the factory settings,
which didn't work. I was then told it was my Internet connection.
That CAN'T be because:

A) Charter Cable came out and tested...everything's fine--the Cable
tech seemed to think it was redirecting to the Netword Interface Card,
but he couldn't figure it out

B) My old computer hooked up to the same modem and cable lines works
fine.

C) It works perfectly fine in Safe Mode with Networking(which is how
I'm connected now).

I've tried going into MSCONFIG and disabling everything, but I ended up
disabling the internet connection as well. I don't know enough about
which services to enable to allow me to keep connected to the
Internet.
Can someone tell me, after I've disabled all Startup and Service items
in MSCONFIG, what are the bare minimum ones to ENABLE in order to
connect me to the Internet. I'm hoping that will allow me to connect
to the Internet, and then I'll enable the services one by one and
figure out which one is causing my connection issue (unless someone
knows a more efficient way to test and/or fix). Thanks!

--
Quinciloo
Quinciloo

Re: Internet only Connects in Safe Mode with Networking

Quinciloo;811507 Wrote:
> I have a Dell Studio XPS 435 running Windows Vista Home Premium, bought
> a week ago. It has had Internet issues from the moment I got it
> running. If I do a continual Ping test, when it's working I get a
> correct reply from 192.168.0.56. I get no more than about 20-30
> successful pings at max, usually much less. Then suddenly it will Ping
> from 96.42.0.135, and then usually time out (even if it doesn't time
> out, I lose the connection temporarily). I called Dell Support and
> paid a one-time service and they seemed to fix it...although I'm not
> sure what he did. 24 hours later, it started happening again. Another
> subsequent call and he had me reset everything to the factory settings,
> which didn't work. I was then told it was my Internet connection.
> That CAN'T be because:
>
> A) Charter Cable came out and tested...everything's fine--the Cable
> tech seemed to think it was redirecting to the Netword Interface Card,
> but he couldn't figure it out
>
> B) My old computer hooked up to the same modem and cable lines works
> fine.
>
> C) It works perfectly fine in Safe Mode with Networking(which is how
> I'm connected now).
>
> I've tried going into MSCONFIG and disabling everything, but I ended up
> disabling the internet connection as well. I don't know enough about
> which services to enable to allow me to keep connected to the
> Internet.
> Can someone tell me, after I've disabled all Startup and Service items
> in MSCONFIG, what are the bare minimum ones to ENABLE in order to
> connect me to the Internet. I'm hoping that will allow me to connect
> to the Internet, and then I'll enable the services one by one and
> figure out which one is causing my connection issue (unless someone
> knows a more efficient way to test and/or fix). Thanks!
>
> Addendum: After some searching, I have discovered the wrong ping
> number matches my IPv4 IP address.

Found it...I disabled "Dell Advanced Networking Service." Works
perfectly now, no thanks to Dell's NON Support!

--
Quinciloo