Sharing External USB Hard Drive

Bob

Sharing External USB Hard Drive

I am trying to enable sharing on an external hard drive.
I have sharing and permissions enabled. When I try to access
the drive from another computer, I get the following error
message:
(name of drive) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permission.

The drive is physically connected to a Vista machine and I want to be
able to access it from an XP machine.

Any ideas on how to "fix" this?
kword88

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive

are you using the software that came with the external drive? if so, you
may have to install it on both machines OR uninstall it from the vista
machine.

--
kword88
Bob

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive
Thanks for your response.

The drive did not come with any software.

Any other thoughts?

kword88 wrote:
> are you using the software that came with the external drive? if so, you
> may have to install it on both machines OR uninstall it from the vista
> machine.

Malke

Bob wrote:

> I am trying to enable sharing on an external hard drive.
> I have sharing and permissions enabled. When I try to access
> the drive from another computer, I get the following error
> message:
> (name of drive) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
> this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
> out if you have access permission.
>
> The drive is physically connected to a Vista machine and I want to be
> able to access it from an XP machine.

I'm assuming that you have correctly set up file/printer sharing on all
computers and can otherwise transfer files between the machines. If my
assumption is incorrect, please post back with more details about what
operating systems the computers are running, etc.

Otherwise, you are probably trying to share the entire drive. Either create
a folder on the drive and then share that (better solution) or do the
following (provided by Michael Bell - MS):

When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI only allows this
through the advanced sharing option. When the advanced sharing option is
used it only sets the share permissions. The actual permissions on a file
share are a combination of Folder and Share permissions. In Vista the
everyone group doesn not have permissions so when you connect without a
password the system you can see the folders but not access them or possibly
connect to the share but fail to open it.

1. Open Computer
2. Right click on the shared drive and select properties from the context
menu
3. Select the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet.

If you are connecting to the computer with no password then you are
connecting with the guest account. In order to access the files on the
drive, the everyone group needs to have access set here.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Bob

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive

The drive in question is the second external HD I have attached to the
Vista machine.

I tried your suggestion to create a folder on the drive and share
that folder but no joy.

I have no problem sharing the other HD.

I am also sharing a flash drive and a DVD drive attached to the Vista
machine without a problem.

The sharing and permissions settings are the same for all of them.

I can also share the root drive of the Vista machine without a problem.

My printer is attached to the XP desktop machine and I can access it
from the Vista machine.

I have an XP laptop on my network as well, and everything I said also
applies to the laptop.

Malke wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>> I am trying to enable sharing on an external hard drive.
>> I have sharing and permissions enabled. When I try to access
>> the drive from another computer, I get the following error
>> message:
>> (name of drive) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use
>> this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
>> out if you have access permission.
>>
>> The drive is physically connected to a Vista machine and I want to be
>> able to access it from an XP machine.

> I'm assuming that you have correctly set up file/printer sharing on all
> computers and can otherwise transfer files between the machines. If my
> assumption is incorrect, please post back with more details about what
> operating systems the computers are running, etc.
>
> Otherwise, you are probably trying to share the entire drive. Either create
> a folder on the drive and then share that (better solution) or do the
> following (provided by Michael Bell - MS):
>
> When you share out the root of a drive in Vista, the UI only allows this
> through the advanced sharing option. When the advanced sharing option is
> used it only sets the share permissions. The actual permissions on a file
> share are a combination of Folder and Share permissions. In Vista the
> everyone group doesn not have permissions so when you connect without a
> password the system you can see the folders but not access them or possibly
> connect to the share but fail to open it.
>
> 1. Open Computer
> 2. Right click on the shared drive and select properties from the context
> menu
> 3. Select the Security Tab in the displayed properties sheet.
>
> If you are connecting to the computer with no password then you are
> connecting with the guest account. In order to access the files on the
> drive, the everyone group needs to have access set here.
>
> Malke

Malke

Bob wrote:

> The drive in question is the second external HD I have attached to the
> Vista machine.
>
> I tried your suggestion to create a folder on the drive and share
> that folder but no joy.
>
> I have no problem sharing the other HD.
>
> I am also sharing a flash drive and a DVD drive attached to the Vista
> machine without a problem.
>
> The sharing and permissions settings are the same for all of them.
>
> I can also share the root drive of the Vista machine without a problem.
>
> My printer is attached to the XP desktop machine and I can access it
> from the Vista machine.
>
> I have an XP laptop on my network as well, and everything I said also
> applies to the laptop.

Then I'm sorry but something must be different about the permissions on the
external drive (even though you think they are the same) but without being
able to examine the computer and the external drive, I don't know. I'm
sorry that I was unable to help you.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Bob

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive
Thanks, I appreciate your efforts.

> Bob wrote:
>

>> The drive in question is the second external HD I have attached to the
>> Vista machine.
>>
>> I tried your suggestion to create a folder on the drive and share
>> that folder but no joy.
>>
>> I have no problem sharing the other HD.
>>
>> I am also sharing a flash drive and a DVD drive attached to the Vista
>> machine without a problem.
>>
>> The sharing and permissions settings are the same for all of them.
>>
>> I can also share the root drive of the Vista machine without a problem.
>>
>> My printer is attached to the XP desktop machine and I can access it
>> from the Vista machine.
>>
>> I have an XP laptop on my network as well, and everything I said also
>> applies to the laptop.

> Then I'm sorry but something must be different about the permissions on
> the
> external drive (even though you think they are the same) but without being
> able to examine the computer and the external drive, I don't know. I'm
> sorry that I was unable to help you.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Newportdoc

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive

Bob

I have almost the same problem. I have a windows XP Media edition
laptop connected in a home network with 3 other Vista laptops. I
attached a Seagate 1 Tb External Hard Drive to the XP, set security and
sharing for "everyone" to full control. The XP laptop root drive, usb
Flash drive, and printer are all completely available to the other
network computers. Attempts to access the external hard drive on the
network results in the error message " ... is not accessible. You might
not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Not enough server storage is available to process this command."

I also notice the security tab is not available when I right-click
properties - It is available on the usb flash drive and the c: drive.

Have you found any more information concerning this problem?

Thanks

NewportDoc

--
Newportdoc
Newportdoc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112174.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bill Volz

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive
Sounds like the drive might not have been formatted using NTFS. The below
quote comes from MS's web site.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...30(WS.10).aspx

Shared folders are stored on NTFS file system volumes. You can set
permissions at the file level only if the files are stored on an NTFS
volume. On a FAT or FAT32 volume, you can set permissions for shared folders
but not for files and folders within a shared folder. Moreover, share
permissions on a FAT or FAT32 volume restrict network access only, not
access by users working directly on the computer.

"Newportdoc" <Newportdoc.3uxxbb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Bob
>
> I have almost the same problem. I have a windows XP Media edition
> laptop connected in a home network with 3 other Vista laptops. I
> attached a Seagate 1 Tb External Hard Drive to the XP, set security and
> sharing for "everyone" to full control. The XP laptop root drive, usb
> Flash drive, and printer are all completely available to the other
> network computers. Attempts to access the external hard drive on the
> network results in the error message " ... is not accessible. You might
> not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
> administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
> Not enough server storage is available to process this command."
>
> I also notice the security tab is not available when I right-click
> properties - It is available on the usb flash drive and the c: drive.
>
> Have you found any more information concerning this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> NewportDoc
>

> --
> Newportdoc
> Newportdoc's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112174.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-v...rk/1154943.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Newportdoc

Re: Sharing External USB Hard Drive

Bob

I found the solution to my problem. It appears that certain software
can affect the Microsoft Lanman Server, which has a fixed limit on the
quantity of filters it supports. These software programs installs some
filters to work, the total number of filters can exceed the server's
limit. In my case the problem occurred after install of Acronis Backup
software, however the same problem may occur after installation of
Antivirus products and is described in the Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article 17707:

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078

I my case I increase the IRPStackSize to 45 and that took care of the
problem.
Let me know if that solves your problem.

NewportDoc