Connecting wired network to Internet

James Bauer

Connecting wired network to Internet
I have two desktops, one XP and one Vista. They are currently networked
through a switch via a wired network.

I recently had broadband cable installed and have the Vista machine
connected to the Internet via a cable modem.

I would like to install a wired router to replace the switch so that both
machines will have Internet access.

Two questions:

1. where might I find instructions that would guide me in doing this?

2. Are there any recommendations as to a satisfactory wired router?

Thank you.

Steve Winograd

Re: Connecting wired network to Internet
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:41:54 -0700, "James Bauer" <jim.bauer@att.net>
wrote:

>I have two desktops, one XP and one Vista. They are currently networked
>through a switch via a wired network.
>
>I recently had broadband cable installed and have the Vista machine
>connected to the Internet via a cable modem.
>
>I would like to install a wired router to replace the switch so that both
>machines will have Internet access.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1. where might I find instructions that would guide me in doing this?
>
>2. Are there any recommendations as to a satisfactory wired router?
>
>Thank you.

To get the computers on the Internet:

1. Turn off the power to the cable modem.
2. Connect the cable modem to the wired router's WAN (Internet) port.
3. Turn on the power to the cable modem.
4. Remove the switch from the network.
5. Connect both computers to the wired router's LAN ports.

I like routers from D-Link and Netgear.
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Jack-MVP

Re: Connecting wired network to Internet
Hi
The technology concerning the Wire aspect of a Cable/DSL Router did not
change in the last few years. So in principle you can buy the least
expensive device that you can find.
You should know that there is No real difference in price between a Wire
only and a Wireless Cable/DFSL Router. Almost all the Wireless Routers have
also 4 ports for Wire connection. Thus consider getting a Wireless Router,
there is much larger selection of Wireless Routers and since it is the same
price you can use the wire part and leave the Wireless alone if you wish so.
Please look at the way your Cable service does the authentication (read
this), and check if it applies to your service.
How to Fix Cable/DSL Internet authentication (password) -
http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)