2 Vista's, Linksys, can't share files-why?

GaBoYnFla

2 Vista's, Linksys, can't share files-why?

*I HAVE TWO VISTA 32 BIT HOME PREMIUM COMPUTERS (ONE LAPTOP, ONE
DESKTOP), BOTH RUN NORTON ANTIVIRUS. I HAVE THE FIREWALLS TURNED OFF.
THEY ARE BEHIND A LINKSYS WRT54G ROUTER WITH WEP.*

*I'VE SHARED THE FOLDERS IN EACH COMPUTER I WANT TO GET TO FROM THE
OTHER COMPUTERS BUT I CAN'T GET INTO EITHER COMPUTER. CAN SOMEONE TELL
ME HOW TO SET IT UP OR DIRECT ME TO A SIMPLE SETUP GUIDE?*

*THANKS FOR YOU HELP.*

*TODD*

--
GaBoYnFla
Malke

Re: 2 Vista's, Linksys, can't share files-why?
GaBoYnFla wrote:

> *I HAVE TWO VISTA 32 BIT HOME PREMIUM COMPUTERS (ONE LAPTOP, ONE
> DESKTOP), BOTH RUN NORTON ANTIVIRUS. I HAVE THE FIREWALLS TURNED OFF.
> THEY ARE BEHIND A LINKSYS WRT54G ROUTER WITH WEP.*
>
> *I'VE SHARED THE FOLDERS IN EACH COMPUTER I WANT TO GET TO FROM THE
> OTHER COMPUTERS BUT I CAN'T GET INTO EITHER COMPUTER. CAN SOMEONE TELL
> ME HOW TO SET IT UP OR DIRECT ME TO A SIMPLE SETUP GUIDE?*

Please do not type in all capital letters next time. On Usenet (where you
are posting whethere you realize it or not) it is considered shouting,
rude, and will limit your responses. I say this not to hurt your feelings
but only to help you get the help you want.

Here are general network troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be
applicable to your situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look
daunting, but if you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below
systematically and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your
sharing.

Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally caused
by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including a stateful
firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls such as the
built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or 3) not having
identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup machines; 4) trying
to create shares where the operating system does not permit it.

A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network (LAN)
traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing File/Printer
Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a third-party firewall
or have an antivirus/security program with its own firewall component, then
you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Refer to any third
party security program's Help or user forums for how to properly configure
its firewall. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this:

Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by clicking on the
desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the correct password
for that user account (if there is one) when prompted. Leave it blank if
there is no password (null).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

GaBoYnFla

Re: 2 Vista's, Linksys, can't share files-why?

Ahh....I appreicate your response, I'll read it later...but that is bold
not caps....and I'm pretty laid back and calm.

GaBoYnFla wrote:

> Ahh....I appreicate your response, I'll read it later...but that is bold
> not caps....and I'm pretty laid back and calm.

But you see, it doesn't come across in "bold not caps" when one is using a
real newsreader (plain text) as most of us helpers do. The reason this
isn't apparent to you follows. Again, this is not meant to hurt your
feelings in any way, just to help you get the answers you want.

You are not posting on a real forum as you think you are. You are using a
web interface that leeches Usenet posts and most of the rest of us are
using real newsreaders. We don't see what you do. If you want to
participate in Usenet, the better way is to set up a newsreader. This is
very easy to do and I'll give you information about that below. If you
prefer to use a forum, then here are two excellent ones:

http://forum.aumha.org/index.php
http://http://computerhaven.info/

Since you are using a web interface, you may not realize that this is really
a newsgroup. You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use
a newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can use
Outlook Express (XP) or Windows Mail (Vista) since you already have it.
Here are some links to information about newsgroups:

About Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/ - Usenet FAQs from the Internet FAQ Archives
http://www.usenetmonster.com/infocenter/
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Usenet - a brief explanation
of newsgroups

Outlook Express/Windows Mail as Newsreader:
http://michaelstevenstech.com/outloo...snewreader.htm
http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/accessi...ndows_mail.htm

How to Post:
http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.htm - How Not to Get Technical Help on
Usenet

microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is working
properly
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/munad.htm - how to munge email address
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting - crossposting
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting