Password protected network shares in workgroup

FUNANDWILD0

Password protected network shares in workgroup
Goal:
4 computers using broadband connection to internet (easy)
4 computers using workgroup on router and switch to share network shares.
The second part let me explain further. I prefer to have Essentially the
entire "user files" folder shared to my other computers given they supply a
network password.

Example
PC 1 (computer name mainpc)
Shares c:\users\bobpc folder
bobpc uses a user name bobpc and password specific to him

PC 2 (computer name laptop)
Wants full access bobpc folder because bobpc has 2 terrabytes of data

But i want it to ask for the user name and password upon accessing PC1
(mainpc) in case someone young in the house sees some personal files.

MY Problem:
I cannot access the other computers i type \\mainpc i get a typical error
"is not available share. Contact the admin for access"

My attempts:
*all have workgroup the same
*all run vista business or ultimate
*all can access the internet
*reset network connections
*reset router even tried using a simple switch only without internet
*insured networks were set for PRIVATE network
*utilized user name and passwords for all accounts on all computers but the
guest account
*shared folders using advanced share and pick specific user admin accounts
to have full access
*i can under network see the computer i want to gain access but it won't ask
me for a user name and password if i type \\mainpc
*I've tried under user accounts in control panel "Manage your network
passwords" and inputed the user name nad password on the desired network i
want to gain access which semi worked but now it doens't ask for a user name
and password.
*I've disabled all firewalls and virus scanners
*pc 1 and 2 can talk freely to pc 3 but pc 1 and 2 cannot talk to each other.
*network discovery on
*file sharing on
*public folder sharing off
*password protected sharing on

CLIFF NOTES:
HOW DO I SHARE LARGE VOLUMES OF PASSWORD PROTECTED FILES WITHIN MY NETWORK
WORKGROUP THAT PROMPT FOR A USER NAME AND PASSWORD?
FUNANDWILD0

RE: Password protected network shares in workgroup
One option which i havne't tried yet is one of my pc's the vista business
edition was reinstalled and doesn't have service pack 1 installed but hte
others do.
FUNANDWILD0

RE: Password protected network shares in workgroup
Damn nobody even responded.

Oh well in case anybody else has this problem which i am sure i am not hte
only one i found the fix.

YOu must click on "computer" then mapnetwork drive. There it will offer the
forced optoin of, "log on with a differnet user account".

Make sure you have a more deeper path like...
\\laptop\shared

not \\laptop
which trying to specify a mapnetwork drive.
Vistaluver

Re: Password protected network shares in workgroup

same problem heres my post
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...computers.html

--
Vistaluver

Malke

Vistaluver wrote:

> same problem heres my post

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networ...computers.html

Do not interject your question into an older, closed thread (let alone doing
this multiple times). Also referring helpers here in the newsgroup to a web
forum will not get you answers.

I have already answered this question in detail in the separate post you
made in this same newsgroup. Please find that thread and stick to it. I
won't be monitoring this one.

Malke
--
MS-MVP