Cannot connect a Vista/Vista Combo

Justin

Cannot connect a Vista/Vista Combo
Hi,
I have two PC's running Vista Home Premium. Both have SP1, and both have
sharing and printer sharing installed. I can access the wife's pc from mine,
but I cannot access mine from her's. If I type in my pc name
"\\jdesktop\users\" it will pop up, but if I physically try and click on my
computer's name in the network window it says \\jdesktop is not accessible.

I am trying to share a printer. It is on my PC, and I have tried
everything. Both pc's have passwords, both are in the Jspafford workgroup.

Help!
Malke

Re: Cannot connect a Vista/Vista Combo
Justin wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two PC's running Vista Home Premium. Both have SP1, and both have
> sharing and printer sharing installed. I can access the wife's pc from
> mine,
> but I cannot access mine from her's. If I type in my pc name
> "\\jdesktop\users\" it will pop up, but if I physically try and click on
> my computer's name in the network window it says \\jdesktop is not
> accessible.
>
> I am trying to share a printer. It is on my PC, and I have tried
> everything. Both pc's have passwords, both are in the Jspafford
> workgroup.

Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this.

Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC

To turn on - Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password
to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by
clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the
correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted.
Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Justin

"Malke" wrote:

> Justin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I have two PC's running Vista Home Premium. Both have SP1, and both have
> > sharing and printer sharing installed. I can access the wife's pc from
> > mine,
> > but I cannot access mine from her's. If I type in my pc name
> > "\\jdesktop\users\" it will pop up, but if I physically try and click on
> > my computer's name in the network window it says \\jdesktop is not
> > accessible.
> >
> > I am trying to share a printer. It is on my PC, and I have tried
> > everything. Both pc's have passwords, both are in the Jspafford
> > workgroup.

> Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not need
> to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
> assigned to each user account can be different; the accounts/passwords just
> need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT NEGLECT TO CREATE
> PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a machine to boot directly
> to the Desktop (into one particular user's account) for convenience, you
> can do this.
>
> Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
> Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
> UAC
>
> To turn on - Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password
> to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by
> clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the
> correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted.
> Leave it blank if there is no password (null).
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Thank you. When you say make a user account and use the same passwords, do
you mean create a new user account on both PC's and then set them BOTH to the
same password. We can then continue to use our old accounts, but as long as
there is the same User Account on both machines it will work?

Your not talking about user accounts in the persmissions are you?
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Cannot connect a Vista/Vista Combo
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:15:00 -0700, Justin <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>I have two PC's running Vista Home Premium. Both have SP1, and both have
>sharing and printer sharing installed. I can access the wife's pc from mine,
>but I cannot access mine from her's. If I type in my pc name
>"\\jdesktop\users\" it will pop up, but if I physically try and click on my
>computer's name in the network window it says \\jdesktop is not accessible.
>
>I am trying to share a printer. It is on my PC, and I have tried
>everything. Both pc's have passwords, both are in the Jspafford workgroup.
>
>Help!

Justin,

What's the Network Location Type for each computer?

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...-together.html

If that doesn't help, look at "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net config
server", and "net config workstation", from each computer, so we can diagnose
the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
Gordon

"Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Thank you. When you say make a user account and use the same passwords,
> do
> you mean create a new user account on both PC's and then set them BOTH to
> the
> same password. We can then continue to use our old accounts, but as long
> as
> there is the same User Account on both machines it will work?

Yes that's correct.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Justin

Re: Cannot connect a Vista/Vista Combo
I'll try making a new user on both PC's. If this does not work I will post
up the info you requested Chuck.

Thanks

Justin wrote:

> Thank you. When you say make a user account and use the same passwords,
> do you mean create a new user account on both PC's and then set them BOTH
> to the
> same password. We can then continue to use our old accounts, but as long
> as there is the same User Account on both machines it will work?
>
> Your not talking about user accounts in the persmissions are you?

Here's an illustration of what I mean:

Your computer - have user accounts on there for:

You w/whatever password you like
Your wife w/whatever password she's using on her computer

Her computer - have user accounts on there for:

Your wife w/whatever password she likes
You w/whatever password you're using on your computer.

Your wife and you don't need to use identical passwords; the user accounts
and associated passwords just need to match on both computers.

No, I'm not talking about user accounts permissions.

The reason for the matching accounts/passwords is that authentication in a
Workgroup (as opposed to a domain) is done on the *local* computer. So when
your wife from her machine tries to access a shared resource on your
machine, your machine in effect says "who are you?". If it recognizes her
because her user account/password match the one it has, she's a known and
authenticated user and is therefore allowed to access the shared resource.

Hope that made it clearer.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Justin

Re: Cannot connect a Vista/Vista Combo
Let me make sure I have this right.

She and I both have one account on our PC. When we power up, we both login
with a password. The guest account is disabled.

What I need to do is make a second user account on BOTH PC's and name them
whatever I want, but make sure the password on her pc's new account is the
password I log into my PC with? And I would make the new account on my PC
use the same password as the one she logs in with?

Hope that is it.. How confusing for microsoft to do.

Justin wrote:

> Let me make sure I have this right.
>
> She and I both have one account on our PC. When we power up, we both
> login
> with a password. The guest account is disabled.
>
> What I need to do is make a second user account on BOTH PC's and name them
> whatever I want, but make sure the password on her pc's new account is the
> password I log into my PC with? And I would make the new account on my PC
> use the same password as the one she logs in with?

No, you still haven't quite got it. And this is standard networking
behavior, not something Windows-centric.

Illustration to try and make things clear to you:

1. Your computer has one user account, Justin w/password 1234

2. Your wife's computer has one user account, SheWhoMustBeObeyed, password
5678

3. On your computer, create a new user account called SheWhoMustBeObeyed
with password 5678.

4. On your wife's computer, create a new user account called Justin
w/password 1234.

5. You log into your computer with the Justin 1234 account as always.

6. Your wife logs into her computer with the SheWhoMustBeObeyed 5678 account
as always.

7. When either party tries to access a shared resource on the other's
computer, access will be granted seamlessly.

Malke

> Justin wrote:
>
>> Let me make sure I have this right.
>>
>> She and I both have one account on our PC. When we power up, we both
>> login
>> with a password. The guest account is disabled.
>>
>> What I need to do is make a second user account on BOTH PC's and name
>> them
>> whatever I want, but make sure the password on her pc's new account is
>> the
>> password I log into my PC with? And I would make the new account on my
>> PC
>> use the same password as the one she logs in with?

> No, you still haven't quite got it. And this is standard networking
> behavior, not something Windows-centric.
>
> Illustration to try and make things clear to you:
>
> 1. Your computer has one user account, Justin w/password 1234
>
> 2. Your wife's computer has one user account, SheWhoMustBeObeyed, password
> 5678
>
> 3. On your computer, create a new user account called SheWhoMustBeObeyed
> with password 5678.
>
> 4. On your wife's computer, create a new user account called Justin
> w/password 1234.
>
> 5. You log into your computer with the Justin 1234 account as always.
>
> 6. Your wife logs into her computer with the SheWhoMustBeObeyed 5678
> account
> as always.
>
> 7. When either party tries to access a shared resource on the other's
> computer, access will be granted seamlessly.

A very succinct explanation! May I save it for future use? (With suitable
attribution of course.....)

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level