Can't see files on Xbox 360

Edison53

Can't see files on Xbox 360
Been trying for hours to use Xbox 360 to access music and other files on my
compuer, using both Drive address and network address. ALL files can be seen
successfully on WMC on the Vista computer but nothing on the Xbox 360 --
except some photos on my son's XP machine (that worked easily).

Could really use a simple solution to this please!
Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can't see files on Xbox 360
On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:51:01 -0700, Edison53
<Edison53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Been trying for hours to use Xbox 360 to access music and other files on my
>compuer, using both Drive address and network address. ALL files can be seen
>successfully on WMC on the Vista computer but nothing on the Xbox 360 --
>except some photos on my son's XP machine (that worked easily).
>
>Could really use a simple solution to this please!

Diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer and the XBox,
so we can diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Edison53

Re: Can't see files on Xbox 360
Chuck, that sounds like a lot of work for doubtful results. Perhaps I should
be clearer about the nature of the problem. I can connect to my media center
PC. I can choose from a number of files for media center to monitor. In fact,
on my PC media center, all of the files show up. But on the Xbox, even when I
identify the folders I want to monitor and even (on the odd attempt) when it
says it is identifying hundreds of files, the files are not then accessible
on the Xbox.

Now I know I posted this in the Vista and networking forum, but the
connection otherwise seems fine (I can download movie previews onto the Xbox,
I can connect to my computer's media via the non-media-center connection).
But when I searched the list I did not see a forum for Media Center, so I
posted here. If I should be asking elsewhere, I would love to know where.
Thanks.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:51:01 -0700, Edison53
> <Edison53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Been trying for hours to use Xbox 360 to access music and other files on my
> >compuer, using both Drive address and network address. ALL files can be seen
> >successfully on WMC on the Vista computer but nothing on the Xbox 360 --
> >except some photos on my son's XP machine (that worked easily).
> >
> >Could really use a simple solution to this please!

> Diagnose the problem, using logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all", "net
> config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer and the XBox,
> so we can diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and
> follow instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> <http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can't see files on Xbox 360
On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:56:24 -0700, Edison53
<Edison53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Chuck, that sounds like a lot of work for doubtful results. Perhaps I should
>be clearer about the nature of the problem. I can connect to my media center
>PC. I can choose from a number of files for media center to monitor. In fact,
>on my PC media center, all of the files show up. But on the Xbox, even when I
>identify the folders I want to monitor and even (on the odd attempt) when it
>says it is identifying hundreds of files, the files are not then accessible
>on the Xbox.
>
>Now I know I posted this in the Vista and networking forum, but the
>connection otherwise seems fine (I can download movie previews onto the Xbox,
>I can connect to my computer's media via the non-media-center connection).
>But when I searched the list I did not see a forum for Media Center, so I
>posted here. If I should be asking elsewhere, I would love to know where.
>Thanks.

The "media center" is actually "Windows XP Media Center Edition", or is it
"Windows Vista Media Center"?

Your problem "can't see files on one computer from the other" is a browser
problem. The browser requires NetBT. Your problem is NetBT isn't passing
freely. Figure out what's blocking NetBT, then. Here are two more articles for
you.
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...ing-using.html
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Edison53

Re: Can't see files on Xbox 360
Am using Vista. As mentioned, oddly enough, the Xbox can identify photos on
my XP computer without difficulty.

Using Xbox, I can "see" the folders I wish it to monitor (and I can select
them either by their drive name (eg. D:\) or by network name (eg:
Main\Media)). I can also "see" a number of other folders on the computer that
I would have the option of monitoring.

And, on some attempts, the media center on the Xbox indicates that it has
now registered (if that is the word) hundreds of files. But none show up.

So, my conclusions:
1) network works
2) access to media on XP works
3) access to media on Vista does not.

"Chuck [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:56:24 -0700, Edison53
> <Edison53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Chuck, that sounds like a lot of work for doubtful results. Perhaps I should
> >be clearer about the nature of the problem. I can connect to my media center
> >PC. I can choose from a number of files for media center to monitor. In fact,
> >on my PC media center, all of the files show up. But on the Xbox, even when I
> >identify the folders I want to monitor and even (on the odd attempt) when it
> >says it is identifying hundreds of files, the files are not then accessible
> >on the Xbox.
> >
> >Now I know I posted this in the Vista and networking forum, but the
> >connection otherwise seems fine (I can download movie previews onto the Xbox,
> >I can connect to my computer's media via the non-media-center connection).
> >But when I searched the list I did not see a forum for Media Center, so I
> >posted here. If I should be asking elsewhere, I would love to know where.
> >Thanks.

> The "media center" is actually "Windows XP Media Center Edition", or is it
> "Windows Vista Media Center"?
>
> Your problem "can't see files on one computer from the other" is a browser
> problem. The browser requires NetBT. Your problem is NetBT isn't passing
> freely. Figure out what's blocking NetBT, then. Here are two more articles for
> you.
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...ing-using.html
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Can't see files on Xbox 360
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:33:01 -0700, Edison53
<Edison53@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Am using Vista. As mentioned, oddly enough, the Xbox can identify photos on
>my XP computer without difficulty.
>
>Using Xbox, I can "see" the folders I wish it to monitor (and I can select
>them either by their drive name (eg. D:\) or by network name (eg:
>Main\Media)). I can also "see" a number of other folders on the computer that
>I would have the option of monitoring.
>
>And, on some attempts, the media center on the Xbox indicates that it has
>now registered (if that is the word) hundreds of files. But none show up.
>
>So, my conclusions:
>1) network works
>2) access to media on XP works
>3) access to media on Vista does not.

Seeing is a browser issue.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html

The browser generally uses NetBT. If NetBT is interfered with, you'll have this
problem.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2006...ing-using.html

Troubleshoot the problem, don't guess about it. You're here, make the most of
your time.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ghborhood.html