LAN doesn't work after changing router

Daniel

LAN doesn't work after changing router
Hi everybody,

I have a small soho network consisting of a Netgear router, a PC using XP SP
3 (let's call it "XP PC"), and another PC ( let's call it "Vista PC)
equipped with Vista Ultimate (French version >>> sorry about my lousy
translations of what I see and read).
My configuration was very stable and my network was perfectly OK.

All of a sudden my Netgear router (DG834G) stopped working after 4 years of
good service. So I acquired another one (same model), installed it with no
difficulty, using the Netgeard set-up CD.

On both computers the Internet connection is OK. However, the network is
not working any more.

This is what I observe:

1/
On the "Vista PC", in Network and sharing center, if I click on "View full
map" I can see both computers, i.e. "Vista PC" and "XP PC" , and the router.

However, if I click on the link "View computers and devices", on the left of
the window, I can only see displayed the "Vista PC" and the Router.

Network discovery, File sharing, public folder sharing, and printer sharing
features are activated.

Network is "private".

Using Explorer, in the "Network folder", I cannot see any more the "XP PC"
folders and files. I can only see "Router" and "Vista PC", the latter
containing all the folders and printers which are shared shared on that
"Vista PC"

2/
On the "XP PC", I can 'see' the "Vista PC" folders but cannot access them. I
get an acess authorization error message, something like this : "Vista PC"
is not accessible. You may not have the necessary authorisations to use this
network resource...."

3/
If I launch a Ping command from either computer, it works, (it reaches the
other one).

Now, how could my LAN settings be changed when installing a new router?

I just don't know where to look and what to look for.

I would appreciate all your clues.

Is there a way to restart from scratch the Network configuration and
settings?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help.

With Best regards,
Daniel

Jack-MVP

Re: LAN doesn't work after changing router
Hi
The IP scheme probably changed when you replaced the Routers.
Try to redo the sharing.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Daniel" <notmyrealaddress@free.fr> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have a small soho network consisting of a Netgear router, a PC using XP
> SP 3 (let's call it "XP PC"), and another PC ( let's call it "Vista PC)
> equipped with Vista Ultimate (French version >>> sorry about my lousy
> translations of what I see and read).
> My configuration was very stable and my network was perfectly OK.
>
> All of a sudden my Netgear router (DG834G) stopped working after 4 years
> of good service. So I acquired another one (same model), installed it with
> no difficulty, using the Netgeard set-up CD.
>
> On both computers the Internet connection is OK. However, the network is
> not working any more.
>
> This is what I observe:
>
> 1/
> On the "Vista PC", in Network and sharing center, if I click on "View full
> map" I can see both computers, i.e. "Vista PC" and "XP PC" , and the
> router.
>
> However, if I click on the link "View computers and devices", on the left
> of the window, I can only see displayed the "Vista PC" and the Router.
>
> Network discovery, File sharing, public folder sharing, and printer
> sharing features are activated.
>
> Network is "private".
>
> Using Explorer, in the "Network folder", I cannot see any more the "XP PC"
> folders and files. I can only see "Router" and "Vista PC", the latter
> containing all the folders and printers which are shared shared on that
> "Vista PC"
>
> 2/
> On the "XP PC", I can 'see' the "Vista PC" folders but cannot access them.
> I get an acess authorization error message, something like this : "Vista
> PC" is not accessible. You may not have the necessary authorisations to
> use this network resource...."
>
> 3/
> If I launch a Ping command from either computer, it works, (it reaches the
> other one).
>

> Now, how could my LAN settings be changed when installing a new router?
>
> I just don't know where to look and what to look for.
>
> I would appreciate all your clues.
>
> Is there a way to restart from scratch the Network configuration and
> settings?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your kind help.
>
> With Best regards,
> Daniel

Daniel

Re: LAN doesn't work after changing router
Hello Jack,

Thank you for your message.

If I may ask, could you give me some indications as for the way to redo the
sharing? Where should I start ?

many thks in adavnce for your kind adice.

best,
Daniel

"Jack-MVP" <jack@discussgroups.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi
> The IP scheme probably changed when you replaced the Routers.
> Try to redo the sharing.
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
>
> "Daniel" <notmyrealaddress@free.fr> wrote in message
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I have a small soho network consisting of a Netgear router, a PC using XP
>> SP 3 (let's call it "XP PC"), and another PC ( let's call it "Vista PC)
>> equipped with Vista Ultimate (French version >>> sorry about my lousy
>> translations of what I see and read).
>> My configuration was very stable and my network was perfectly OK.
>>
>> All of a sudden my Netgear router (DG834G) stopped working after 4 years
>> of good service. So I acquired another one (same model), installed it
>> with no difficulty, using the Netgeard set-up CD.
>>
>> On both computers the Internet connection is OK. However, the network is
>> not working any more.
>>
>> This is what I observe:
>>
>> 1/
>> On the "Vista PC", in Network and sharing center, if I click on "View
>> full map" I can see both computers, i.e. "Vista PC" and "XP PC" , and the
>> router.
>>
>> However, if I click on the link "View computers and devices", on the left
>> of the window, I can only see displayed the "Vista PC" and the Router.
>>
>> Network discovery, File sharing, public folder sharing, and printer
>> sharing features are activated.
>>
>> Network is "private".
>>
>> Using Explorer, in the "Network folder", I cannot see any more the "XP
>> PC" folders and files. I can only see "Router" and "Vista PC", the latter
>> containing all the folders and printers which are shared shared on that
>> "Vista PC"
>>
>> 2/
>> On the "XP PC", I can 'see' the "Vista PC" folders but cannot access
>> them. I get an acess authorization error message, something like this :
>> "Vista PC" is not accessible. You may not have the necessary
>> authorisations to use this network resource...."
>>
>> 3/
>> If I launch a Ping command from either computer, it works, (it reaches
>> the other one).
>>

>> Now, how could my LAN settings be changed when installing a new router?
>>
>> I just don't know where to look and what to look for.
>>
>> I would appreciate all your clues.
>>
>> Is there a way to restart from scratch the Network configuration and
>> settings?
>>
>> Many thanks in advance for your kind help.
>>
>> With Best regards,
>> Daniel

Chuck [MVP]

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:10:07 +0200, "Daniel" <notmyrealaddress@free.fr> wrote:

>Hello Jack,
>
>Thank you for your message.
>
>If I may ask, could you give me some indications as for the way to redo the
>sharing? Where should I start ?
>
>many thks in adavnce for your kind adice.
>
>best,
>Daniel

Daniel,

What anti-malware protection do you have? Some AM active protection components
(pka "firewall" / "anti-worm") may use trust zones, based on IP address. Norton
and Zone Alarm are known for this.

http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ther-help.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/
Daniel

Re: LAN doesn't work after changing router
You where right, Chuck ! The problem Nbr1 was on Norton.
I have Norton on my "Vista PC", and I had to modify there the network
settings to "Share" mode.

And, problem Nbr2, I had to de-activate the XP firewall on the "XP PC".

Everything is now back to normal, so it seems.

However, I just can't explain how replacing my Netgear Router could change
these settings. Any clue?

Many thanks again for your kind help, Chuck.

With best regards,

Daniel

"Chuck [MVP]" <none@example.net> a écrit dans le message de
> On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:10:07 +0200, "Daniel" <notmyrealaddress@free.fr>
> wrote:
>
>>Hello Jack,
>>
>>Thank you for your message.
>>
>>If I may ask, could you give me some indications as for the way to redo
>>the
>>sharing? Where should I start ?
>>
>>many thks in adavnce for your kind adice.
>>
>>best,
>>Daniel

> Daniel,
>
> What anti-malware protection do you have? Some AM active protection
> components
> (pka "firewall" / "anti-worm") may use trust zones, based on IP address.
> Norton
> and Zone Alarm are known for this.
>
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...ther-help.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> http://networking.nitecruzr.net/

daleeh

Re: LAN doesn't work after changing router
The problem probably came from running the Netgear set up CD.
Which computer did you run it from?
What setting did you pick when you ran it?

The best way to set up routers is to learn how to do them manually so
you are not at the mercy of some automated setup which has to make
"generic" assumptions. Also, write down all the settings, take
screenshots of everything as you go along, and then save everything in
a file so you can use it in the future to recover from problems.

Dale

On Mar 30, 3:14*pm, "Daniel" <notmyrealaddr...@free.fr> wrote:
> You where right, Chuck ! The problem Nbr1 was on Norton.
> I have Norton on my "Vista PC", and I had to modify there the network
> settings to "Share" mode.
>
> And, problem Nbr2, *I had to de-activate the XP firewall on the "XP PC"..
>
> Everything is now back to normal, so it seems.
>
> However, I just can't explain how replacing my Netgear Router could change
> these settings. Any clue?
>
> Many thanks again for your kind help, Chuck.
>
> With best regards,
>
> Daniel
>
> "Chuck [MVP]" <n...@example.net> a écrit dans le message denews:1f12t41v43lqav6gqrhv2n45m6iirjvlmd@4ax.com. ..
>

> > On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 00:10:07 +0200, "Daniel" <notmyrealaddr...@free.fr>
> > wrote:

> >>Hello Jack,

> >>Thank you for your message.

> >>If I may ask, could you give me some indications as for the way to redo
> >>the
> >>sharing? Where should I start ?

> >>many thks in adavnce for your kind adice.

> >>best,
> >>Daniel

> > Daniel,

> > What anti-malware protection do you have? *Some AM active protection
> > components
> > (pka "firewall" / "anti-worm") may use trust zones, based on IP address..
> > Norton
> > and Zone Alarm are known for this.

> >http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...irewall-can-ei...

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]
> >http://networking.nitecruzr.net/- Hide quoted text -

Chuck [MVP]

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009 23:14:46 +0200, "Daniel" <notmyrealaddress@free.fr> wrote:

>You where right, Chuck ! The problem Nbr1 was on Norton.
>I have Norton on my "Vista PC", and I had to modify there the network
>settings to "Share" mode.
>
>And, problem Nbr2, I had to de-activate the XP firewall on the "XP PC".
>
>Everything is now back to normal, so it seems.
>
>However, I just can't explain how replacing my Netgear Router could change
>these settings. Any clue?
>
>Many thanks again for your kind help, Chuck.
>
>With best regards,
>
>Daniel

Daniel,

Each router vendor likes to give you a different subnet by default. You change
vendors, you get a different subnet from the DHCP server in the router.

And if everything on the network used DHCP, there would be no problem. But
Norton uses fixed IP ranges, in deciding what addresses can be "trusted", ie can
pass NetBT traffic. And NetBT is required by the browser, which helps each
computer "see" each other computer.

Having explained that, I'll ask you to learn how to setup File & Printer Sharing
in the XP firewall. DO NOT deactivate the firewall, it's there to protect the
computer. Fix the problem, don't make another problem.