Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection

Sharyn Mitchell

Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed telephone line connection? She doesn't have a wireless router.

Thank You
Gordon

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to
>know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed
>telephone line connection? She doesn't have a >wireless router.

>Thank You

Of course. You will need a patch cable to connect your laptop to the router.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Frank Parmelee

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
Wouldn't she want to connect directly to the modem which is connected to a
NIC?

--
Make a Great Day
Frank Parmelee
"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>>I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to
>>know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed
>>telephone line connection? She doesn't have a >wireless router.

>>Thank You

> Of course. You will need a patch cable to connect your laptop to the
> router.
>

> --
> Asking a question?
> Please tell us the version of the application you are asking about,
> your OS, Service Pack level
> and the FULL contents of any error message(s)

Sharyn Mitchell

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
She doesn't have a wireless router. I have one at home that I am connected to but when I go to visit her I am wondering if I can connect my wireless laptop to the internet at her place. She is on Sympatico high speed through her telephone line.

Thanks

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OnpewT8rJHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to
>know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed
>telephone line connection? She doesn't have a >wireless router.

>Thank You

Of course. You will need a patch cable to connect your laptop to the router.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Dave

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
She will probably have a modem connected to her telephone line. It will probably have one network jack.
If you want to use the connection while she is also connected, you will need a router to plug into the modem.

--
Windows 7 beta
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message news:Ohxa%23%239rJHA.4364@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
She doesn't have a wireless router. I have one at home that I am connected to but when I go to visit her I am wondering if I can connect my wireless laptop to the internet at her place. She is on Sympatico high speed through her telephone line.

Thanks

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OnpewT8rJHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to
>know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed
>telephone line connection? She doesn't have a >wireless router.

>Thank You

Of course. You will need a patch cable to connect your laptop to the router.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

pacinitaly

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection

Does your friend -*have*- a router

the computer hooks up to a modem then a router or they one piece.

check the back and see if youcan connect a cat5 cable

--
pacinitaly
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
Hi
I would Not "mess around" with someone else system without full knowledge
about how the connection is done and the way it is authenticated.
There is a very good chance that if you start plug-in in devices that
nothing would work, or there would be changes in the connection that would
Not automatically reversed once you unplug your Wireless router and take it
with you.
On the other hand sitting on DSL Connection without any Router is a security
risk even if only one computer is involved.
I would suggest to the person to buy an inexpensive Wireless Router and
install it permanently regardless of your (or other people) visits.
On the topic, http://www.ezlan.net/PPPPOE.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to
know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed
telephone line connection? She doesn't have a wireless router.

Thank You

Frank Parmelee

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
It may be prudent to just use your friends computer for what you need while on your visit. Or take your friend to Starbucks for breakfast.

--
Make a Great Day
Frank Parmelee
"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message news:Ohxa%23%239rJHA.4364@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
She doesn't have a wireless router. I have one at home that I am connected to but when I go to visit her I am wondering if I can connect my wireless laptop to the internet at her place. She is on Sympatico high speed through her telephone line.

Thanks

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OnpewT8rJHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
"Sharyn Mitchell" <mitch2@eastlink.ca> wrote in message
>I will be taking my wireless laptop with me to a friends and would like to
>know if it is possible to connect to the internet using her highspeed
>telephone line connection? She doesn't have a >wireless router.

>Thank You

Of course. You will need a patch cable to connect your laptop to the router.

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level

Frank Parmelee

Re: Connecting wireless laptop to highspeed telephone connection
Hey,
Sharyn Mitchell, Great Idea. See you at Starbucks.

--
Make a Great Day
Frank Parmelee