Filesharing Problems

Jyujinkai

Filesharing Problems

::Hi there... I have 4 computers at home...

2xvist64
1xwinXP32
1xVista32 (laptop)

Anyway I have set up the networking as I think it should be and I have
it mostly working...

Basically I share the folder, in permissions I make \\"everyone = full
control\\" and then in security tab I add \\"guest = full control\\"
and \\"everyone = full control\\".

Now any computer on the network can browse to any other computer on
the network and read / modify the files.

The problem is that if I copy anything INTO the share or say download
something directly into the share it is unable to be read. I need to
right click on the individual file and mod the security settings to add
guest and everyone....

I am not worried about security.. this is just a home network where we
play games and surf the net... all we want is to be able to access the
shares...

How do I go about this? I just want to be able to do it like in XP32
where I just right click click on share, tick allow them to modify
network files and then hit OK.

PS - I have no network passowrd turned off in the network area of
vista. And this security thing is only happening on the vista shares
NOT the XP one.
::

Thanks in advance

--
Jyujinkai
Jyujinkai

Re: Filesharing Problems

anyone got any help here?

--
Jyujinkai
Malke

Re: Filesharing Problems
Jyujinkai wrote:

> ::Hi there... I have 4 computers at home...
>
> 2xvist64
> 1xwinXP32
> 1xVista32 (laptop)
>
> Anyway I have set up the networking as I think it should be and I have
> it mostly working...
>
> Basically I share the folder, in permissions I make \\"everyone = full
> control\\" and then in security tab I add \\"guest = full control\\"
> and \\"everyone = full control\\".
>
> Now any computer on the network can browse to any other computer on
> the network and read / modify the files.
>
> The problem is that if I copy anything INTO the share or say download
> something directly into the share it is unable to be read. I need to
> right click on the individual file and mod the security settings to add
> guest and everyone....
>
> I am not worried about security.. this is just a home network where we
> play games and surf the net... all we want is to be able to access the
> shares...
>
> How do I go about this? I just want to be able to do it like in XP32
> where I just right click click on share, tick allow them to modify
> network files and then hit OK.
>
> PS - I have no network passowrd turned off in the network area of
> vista. And this security thing is only happening on the vista shares
> NOT the XP one.

Create matching user accounts/passwords on all machines. Since this is a
home network, this will not be particularly onerous. There is no need to
futz about with permissions if you do this. See below for more details.

A. Excellent, thorough, yet easy to understand article about File/Printer
Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as files
and folders:

B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup. This
is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do not
need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the passwords
can do this.

For XP - Configure Windows to Automatically Login (MVP Ramesh) -
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

For Vista - Start Orb>Search box>type: netplwiz [enter]
Click on Continue (or supply an administrator's password) when prompted by
UAC.

To turn on - Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password
to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by
clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the
correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted.
Leave it blank if there is no password (null).

D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home
directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Jyujinkai

Re: Filesharing Problems

all my accounts on all systems are teh same user name with no password
already... . . I still have these errors.... I'll go though your post in
detail now.... and get back to you

--
Jyujinkai
GTS

Re: Filesharing Problems
Does this happen with one particular share on one of the computers? What
security programs are running? Some (including, if I remember correctly,
Zone Alarm) may manipulate rights on downloaded files and cause this unless
the feature is disabled.

> [...]

> UAC.
>
> To turn on - Uncheck the option "Users must enter a user name and password
> to use this computer". Select a user account to automatically log on by
> clicking on the desired account to highlight it and then hit OK. Enter the
> correct password for that user account (if there is one) when prompted.
> Leave it blank if there is no password (null).
>
> D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).
>
> E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home
> directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside those
> directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents folder.
> See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

Jyujinkai

Re: Filesharing Problems

i am running trend micro internet security pro

--
Jyujinkai
Jyujinkai

Re: Filesharing Problems

I have no idea what to do about this but i set my download form firefix
to save inot my XP computers share... everything can read form that
dir... so kinda worked around

--
Jyujinkai