Can't get Vista, XP and Router to work

rmo555@cox.net

Can't get Vista, XP and Router to work
I've read some of the other posts but don't know which apply to me.
Here are my specifics:
3 PC's (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro and Vista Home Premium
The two XP's work flawlwssly with simple file sharing and printer
sharing - the Vista has a problem. All I care about having work, for
now, is simple file sharing with no user restrictions and printer
sharing.
All Workgroups are the same.
The two XP's use Zone Alarm
The Vista uses the built-in Microsoft firewall
Some login Usernames are different on the three machines.
The router is a Linksys WRT160N

Situation: The XP's are fine. The Vista shows the networking map OK
(I think). The reason I say I think is that, under the router icon -
is a switch icon. I have no switch that I know of. At least the Vista
machine recognizes that there are three machines in the network.
Internet works fine on all three machines. However, in Explorer, under
Network, on the Vista machine, only the Vista machine shows up with
its' shared folders.

Hope this is enough info to get started with and I hope someone out
there can solve my specific problems. Thanks
Jack [MVP-Networking]

Re: Can't get Vista, XP and Router to work

Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx>
Windows XP File Sharing -
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040>
Printer Sharing XP -
<http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/honeycutt_july2.mspx>
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875357>
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922120>
Jack (MVP-Networking).

<rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> I've read some of the other posts but don't know which apply to me.
> Here are my specifics:
> 3 PC's (Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro and Vista Home Premium
> The two XP's work flawlwssly with simple file sharing and printer
> sharing - the Vista has a problem. All I care about having work, for
> now, is simple file sharing with no user restrictions and printer
> sharing.
> All Workgroups are the same.
> The two XP's use Zone Alarm
> The Vista uses the built-in Microsoft firewall
> Some login Usernames are different on the three machines.
> The router is a Linksys WRT160N
>
> Situation: The XP's are fine. The Vista shows the networking map OK
> (I think). The reason I say I think is that, under the router icon -
> is a switch icon. I have no switch that I know of. At least the Vista
> machine recognizes that there are three machines in the network.
> Internet works fine on all three machines. However, in Explorer, under
> Network, on the Vista machine, only the Vista machine shows up with
> its' shared folders.
>
> Hope this is enough info to get started with and I hope someone out
> there can solve my specific problems. Thanks

rmo555@cox.net

Re: Can't get Vista, XP and Router to work
Zone Alarm on one of the XP's has the network set as trusted. I don't
know how to set the network as trusted on the other XP machine (it only
uses the built-in firewall).