Shared drive on XP cannot be accessed from Vista

churin

Shared drive on XP cannot be accessed from Vista
There is no problem accessing from XP(x64) to shared drive on VISTA(x64)
but other way around can not be done.
The shared drive on the XP is visible from the Vista but attempting to
open the drive causes error message as follows:

---------------------------
Open Folder
---------------------------
\\ULTRA-WX64\DTs01i (D) is not accessible. You might not have permission
to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
to find out if you have access permissions.

Not enough server storage is available to process this command.

---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

The XP can get to the internet.
On the Vista the View Full Map indicates that the XP is discovered but
can not be placed on the map.
I downloaded and attempted to install on the XP, Link Layer Topology
Discovery(LLTD) Responder(KB922120) but a message said "This KB922120 is
for a different hardware platform", thus could not install it.
The firewalls on both machines are disabled.
The same workgroup name is used for both machines.
Other Vista machine has the same problem of accessing to this XP.
If the OS is switched from the XP to Vista on the same machine(the
machine is a dual-boot system), then there is no such problem.
Accessing the XP from other XP is no problem.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Steve Winograd

Re: Shared drive on XP cannot be accessed from Vista
On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:44:46 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
wrote:

>There is no problem accessing from XP(x64) to shared drive on VISTA(x64)
>but other way around can not be done.
>The shared drive on the XP is visible from the Vista but attempting to
>open the drive causes error message as follows:
>
>---------------------------
>Open Folder
>---------------------------
>\\ULTRA-WX64\DTs01i (D) is not accessible. You might not have permission
>to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
>to find out if you have access permissions.
>
>Not enough server storage is available to process this command.
>
>---------------------------
>OK
>---------------------------
>
>The XP can get to the internet.
>On the Vista the View Full Map indicates that the XP is discovered but
>can not be placed on the map.
>I downloaded and attempted to install on the XP, Link Layer Topology
>Discovery(LLTD) Responder(KB922120) but a message said "This KB922120 is
>for a different hardware platform", thus could not install it.
>The firewalls on both machines are disabled.
>The same workgroup name is used for both machines.
>Other Vista machine has the same problem of accessing to this XP.
>If the OS is switched from the XP to Vista on the same machine(the
>machine is a dual-boot system), then there is no such problem.
>Accessing the XP from other XP is no problem.
>
>Any suggestion would be appreciated.

The error message is very misleading. The problem is probably that an
antivirus program has changed an obscure TCP/IP setting on XP. Please
see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a likely solution,
specifying a value of 15 for IRPStackSize on the XP computer:

Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078
--
Best Wishes,
Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Desktop Experience)

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
churin

Steve Winograd wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 22:44:46 -0400, churin <churin@new.postalias>
> wrote:
>
>> There is no problem accessing from XP(x64) to shared drive on VISTA(x64)
>> but other way around can not be done.
>> The shared drive on the XP is visible from the Vista but attempting to
>> open the drive causes error message as follows:
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> Open Folder
>> ---------------------------
>> \\ULTRA-WX64\DTs01i (D) is not accessible. You might not have permission
>> to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server
>> to find out if you have access permissions.
>>
>> Not enough server storage is available to process this command.
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> OK
>> ---------------------------
>>
>> The XP can get to the internet.
>> On the Vista the View Full Map indicates that the XP is discovered but
>> can not be placed on the map.
>> I downloaded and attempted to install on the XP, Link Layer Topology
>> Discovery(LLTD) Responder(KB922120) but a message said "This KB922120 is
>> for a different hardware platform", thus could not install it.
>> The firewalls on both machines are disabled.
>> The same workgroup name is used for both machines.
>> Other Vista machine has the same problem of accessing to this XP.
>> If the OS is switched from the XP to Vista on the same machine(the
>> machine is a dual-boot system), then there is no such problem.
>> Accessing the XP from other XP is no problem.
>>
>> Any suggestion would be appreciated.

> The error message is very misleading. The problem is probably that an
> antivirus program has changed an obscure TCP/IP setting on XP. Please
> see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a likely solution,
> specifying a value of 15 for IRPStackSize on the XP computer:
>
> Antivirus Software May Cause Event ID 2011
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;177078

Thanks for your response.
I did what you suggested but with no luck.
IRPStackSize did not exist so I created it with 15(decimal) but no dice,
so the value was increased to 18 but still no go. So I restored the
original condition or deleted the reg entry of IRPStackSize.
The following is new info including correction of that previously provided.
1) XP(x86) on other machine cannot access this XP(x64) with the same
error message(this is the correction of the previous post).
2) There is no access problem to the XP(x86) from any client machine.
2) If the firewall on the XP(x64) is turned on any client network
machine cannot see this particular XP(x64) machine. Note that the
"Printer and File Sharing" is check marked in the exception list.
3) If the firewall is turned off then this XP(x64) machine AND the
shared drive can be seen from any other machine.
4) The shared drives on the XP(x64) which are seen on other machine
cannot be opened( being the subject of this thread) except a USB memory
drive which is set for sharing.
5) "Use simple file sharing" is unchecked, but either way the problem
symptom persists.

Any further suggestion is appreciated.
churin

churin wrote:
> [...]

> The following is new info including correction of that previously provided.
> 1) XP(x86) on other machine cannot access this XP(x64) with the same
> error message(this is the correction of the previous post).
> 2) There is no access problem to the XP(x86) from any client machine.
> 2) If the firewall on the XP(x64) is turned on any client network
> machine cannot see this particular XP(x64) machine. Note that the
> "Printer and File Sharing" is check marked in the exception list.
> 3) If the firewall is turned off then this XP(x64) machine AND the
> shared drive can be seen from any other machine.
> 4) The shared drives on the XP(x64) which are seen on other machine
> cannot be opened( being the subject of this thread) except a USB memory
> drive which is set for sharing.
> 5) "Use simple file sharing" is unchecked, but either way the problem

I tried it after letting the WV64 box boot in safe mode and found the
problem did not happen. Since then the problem did not come back even in
normal mode.