Vista Machine Takes Over Print - XP Printers Can't Print Afterwards

grungebob

Vista Machine Takes Over Print - XP Printers Can't Print Afterwards

Hey all and thanks ahead,

Background before the question:
I work for an architecture firm and are the test subjects to upgrading
because we are the graphics department with all the programs that hog
memory and have all the 64-bit programs... Adobe Photoshop CS4, 3DS Max
2009 and Revit 2008. I recently upgraded my machine to Vista Business
x64 and all my co-workers except for one other (who also upgraded with
me to Vista Business x64) are all on XP x86 machines.

Okay, we have problems with the network printers that are shared on a
server machine. Issue is, everyone can print all day til we print out
something. (Yes, are machine recognize the printers... it is not a I
can't see them or are they shared on the server). After it stops
everyone, we can keep on printing ourselves. The only way to fix it is
to reset the server machine to recognize the printer again.

Is there any local fix from the take over from happening... or is it on
the server machine? Actually, what is the fix? Currently are work around
is to jump on a computer that hasn't been used by anyone for years (XP
x86) to print.

Thanks ahead
Topher

--
grungebob
Frankster

Re: Vista Machine Takes Over Print - XP Printers Can't Print Afterwards

"grungebob" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey all and thanks ahead,
>
> Background before the question:
> I work for an architecture firm and are the test subjects to upgrading
> because we are the graphics department with all the programs that hog
> memory and have all the 64-bit programs... Adobe Photoshop CS4, 3DS Max
> 2009 and Revit 2008. I recently upgraded my machine to Vista Business
> x64 and all my co-workers except for one other (who also upgraded with
> me to Vista Business x64) are all on XP x86 machines.
>
> Okay, we have problems with the network printers that are shared on a
> server machine. Issue is, everyone can print all day til we print out
> something. (Yes, are machine recognize the printers... it is not a I
> can't see them or are they shared on the server). After it stops
> everyone, we can keep on printing ourselves. The only way to fix it is
> to reset the server machine to recognize the printer again.
>
> Is there any local fix from the take over from happening... or is it on
> the server machine? Actually, what is the fix? Currently are work around
> is to jump on a computer that hasn't been used by anyone for years (XP
> x86) to print.
>
> Thanks ahead
> Topher
>

> --
> grungebob

Hopefully someone whe reallly knows this issue will speak up. But until
then, LOL...

Are these printers connected to the server via Ethernet or via USB?

If Ethernet, maybe you should try installing the printer directly onto your
Vista PC rather than printing via the server share.

If USB, perhaps you could have the server admin create another instnce of
the shared printer that only you print to.

-Frank

Bill Kearney

Re: Vista Machine Takes Over Print - XP Printers Can't Print Afterwards
How is the printer connected?

What OS is the server providing printer spooler using? Which assumes you're
using the server-based print queue, is this correct?

grungebob

Re: Vista Machine Takes Over Print - XP Printers Can't Print Afterwards

Forgot to tell you, it is an HP 4500mfp printer and HP CJL 5550 laser
printer.

> Forgot to tell you, it is an HP 4500mfp printer and HP CJL 5550 laser
> printer.
>

> --
> grungebob

You didn't say how they are connected to the print server. USB or Ethernet?
According to the specs, both are capable of Ethernet. If Ethernet, have you
tried installing them on the Vista PCs directly?

-Frank