Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers

BrendaInBC

Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
My desktop and laptop are both running windows Vista Home Premium SP1. My
desktop can see and access my laptop on the network...my laptop cannot see my
desktop on the network. I CAN access it through the start menu...but...not
through the network menu.

I've been trying for days to figure this out...and I've reached the end of
my rope...any help would be great!

Thanks!
Brenda

Jack-MVP

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
Hi
Firewall instructions.
Vista File and Printer Sharing-
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx>
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"BrendaInBC" <BrendaInBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My desktop and laptop are both running windows Vista Home Premium SP1. My
> desktop can see and access my laptop on the network...my laptop cannot see
> my
> desktop on the network. I CAN access it through the start menu...but...not
> through the network menu.
>
> I've been trying for days to figure this out...and I've reached the end of
> my rope...any help would be great!
>
> Thanks!
> Brenda

BrendaInBC

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
Hi Jack!

Thanks for the reply. I use Microsoft OneCare for my Virus Care/Firewall. I
have checked the settings on the laptop against both desktops, and they are
the same, yet I still can only see one desktop on the laptop, not both.
Occasionally the windows media player share icon from the desktop that I
can't see will appear in the Network window, but not often.

"Jack-MVP" wrote:

> Hi
> Make sure that the Software Firewall on each computer allows free local
> traffic. If you use 3rd party Firewall On, Vista/XP Native Firewall should
> be Off, and the active Firewall has to adjusted to your Network IP numbers
> on what is some time called the Trusted Zone (consult your 3rd Party
> Firewall instructions.
> General example, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#trusted
> Vista File and Printer Sharing-
> <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "BrendaInBC" <BrendaInBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My desktop and laptop are both running windows Vista Home Premium SP1. My
> > desktop can see and access my laptop on the network...my laptop cannot see
> > my
> > desktop on the network. I CAN access it through the start menu...but...not
> > through the network menu.
> >
> > I've been trying for days to figure this out...and I've reached the end of
> > my rope...any help would be great!
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Brenda

Malke

BrendaInBC wrote:

> Hi Jack!
>
> Thanks for the reply. I use Microsoft OneCare for my Virus Care/Firewall.
> I have checked the settings on the laptop against both desktops, and they
> are the same, yet I still can only see one desktop on the laptop, not
> both. Occasionally the windows media player share icon from the desktop
> that I can't see will appear in the Network window, but not often.

The culprit is probably OneCare. To properly configure Windows Live OneCare
for the local area network, please see the following MS KB Article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923157

This is because Windows Live OneCare disables file/printer sharing.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

BrendaInBC

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
Hi Malke!

Thanks for your response as well...I tried your suggestions....still no
luck...lots of frustration...but no luck yet! *lol*

I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Brenda

"Malke" wrote:

> BrendaInBC wrote:
>
> > Hi Jack!
> >
> > Thanks for the reply. I use Microsoft OneCare for my Virus Care/Firewall.
> > I have checked the settings on the laptop against both desktops, and they
> > are the same, yet I still can only see one desktop on the laptop, not
> > both. Occasionally the windows media player share icon from the desktop
> > that I can't see will appear in the Network window, but not often.

> The culprit is probably OneCare. To properly configure Windows Live OneCare
> for the local area network, please see the following MS KB Article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923157
>
> This is because Windows Live OneCare disables file/printer sharing.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Bob Campbell

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
Brenda,

You could turn off the firewall in OneCare--just for testing. If it does
work then, click on Change settings in OneCare. On the Firewall tab, there
are several options that you can configure.

> Hi Malke!
>
> Thanks for your response as well...I tried your suggestions....still no
> luck...lots of frustration...but no luck yet! *lol*
>
> I'm open to any and all suggestions!
>
> Brenda

BrendaInBC

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
Hi Bob,

Still no luck, in fact, I completely shut down OneCare, and still nothing.
So now I have to believe it's not a OneCare issue...but...what do I know at
this point?!?!

I just don't get it...both computers are set up the same...both are even
Acer...but I
just can't see the desktop on the laptop...

Brenda

"Bob Campbell" wrote:

> Brenda,
>
> You could turn off the firewall in OneCare--just for testing. If it does
> work then, click on Change settings in OneCare. On the Firewall tab, there
> are several options that you can configure.
>
> "BrendaInBC" <BrendaInBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Malke!
> >
> > Thanks for your response as well...I tried your suggestions....still no
> > luck...lots of frustration...but no luck yet! *lol*
> >
> > I'm open to any and all suggestions!
> >
> > Brenda

BrendaInBC

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
okay...I had my office computer (the desktop) appear on the network window on
my laptop ONCE this morning...just out of nowhere...and now...nothing!
ARGH!!! I really need to be able to see it...and it's so frustrating!!! I've
tried all the suggestions here...and no luck...then it appears once...like a
teaser! *lol*

So....any more suggestions??? They would be greatly appreciated!!

Brenda

"BrendaInBC" wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Still no luck, in fact, I completely shut down OneCare, and still nothing.
> So now I have to believe it's not a OneCare issue...but...what do I know at
> this point?!?!
>
> I just don't get it...both computers are set up the same...both are even
> Acer...but I
> just can't see the desktop on the laptop...
>

> Brenda
>
> "Bob Campbell" wrote:
>
> > Brenda,
> >
> > You could turn off the firewall in OneCare--just for testing. If it does
> > work then, click on Change settings in OneCare. On the Firewall tab, there
> > are several options that you can configure.
> >
> > "BrendaInBC" <BrendaInBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Malke!
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response as well...I tried your suggestions....still no
> > > luck...lots of frustration...but no luck yet! *lol*
> > >
> > > I'm open to any and all suggestions!
> > >
> > > Brenda

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Vista Home Premium SP1 x 2 Computers
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 19:04:01 -0700, BrendaInBC
<BrendaInBC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My desktop and laptop are both running windows Vista Home Premium SP1. My
>desktop can see and access my laptop on the network...my laptop cannot see my
>desktop on the network. I CAN access it through the start menu...but...not
>through the network menu.
>
>I've been trying for days to figure this out...and I've reached the end of
>my rope...any help would be great!
>
>Thanks!
>Brenda

Brenda,

If all of the firewalls are working, and you still have visibility problems,
look at the browser (which is not the same as Internet Explorer).

<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...lways-see.html

Or diagnose the problem. Look at logs from "browstat status", "ipconfig /all",
"net config server", and "net config workstation", from each computer. Read
this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions precisely (download
browstat!):

<http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2005...#AskingForHelp

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP 2005-2008 [Windows - Desktop Experience]